Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

? about dialogue substituted with acceptable language when a movie is on TV

gwtwbooklover

Let's see I wonder when a movie is on TV and the real bad word that was there is replaced with another less offensive word-and sometimes it is a silly replacement...anyway....my questions are ...1.who picks the new word? 2. do they try to get the star to do the acceptable word? or do they actually try to find a close voice resemblance? 3. is it in the director's hands to make his movie acceptable to broadcast TV? 4. and if the director doesn't have a hand in the different dialogue is this a technical re-direct and has a director ever protested the change in dialogue when his movie is on broadcast TV? 5. and who decides what to edit out when a Movie is edited for TV and what exactly are the formating to fit on my TV screen???

I've noticed for the past 30 or so years the same actor is recorded using the two different words, one is for use in the theater and the other is for use on TV. Some of the words are not allowed on TV by the FCC. Other milder words are allowed but certain sponsors won't sponsor a film on TV that uses them. I don't want to hear any of them. In my life I can go for months, even a couple of years, without hearing any words like that in real life.

This Movie Has Been Formatted To Fit This TV Screen was the propaganda used in the early days to excuse Pan & Scan on 4:3 Aspect Ratio Televisions. Most people back then didn't know they were watching cropped movies and if a Letterbox movie was shown with bars at the top and bottom, they would think that there was something wrong with their TV's. We have come a long way since then, thanks to TCM educating viewers about widescreen formats. And last but not least, because most Televisions sold today are 16:9 and not 4:3, this is no longer used and has become out dated.