Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Laughing in the face of danger...

benwhowell

Do you have a favorite (non-comedic) movie or scene from a (non-comedic) movie that cracks you up? (No fair picking an Ed Wood movie. :) )

"King Kong"

Some of the scenes in this movie are so "cartoonish" I can't help laughing...My fave is the scene after Kong escapes. Fay Wray and Bruce Cabot are sitting on the bed- in a hotel room- unaware that Kong has climbed up the building and is peeking in the window with those big, "googly" eyes...

"The Exorcist"

When the movie was released I was 13 and too scared to see it-from all the hype. A couple of years later it was playing in a nearby small town theatre. (Re-released?) My best friend and I saw it. He was scared. It seemed almost like a parody to me. (Maybe because of all the parodies on TV and in Mad magazine, etc.) Anyway, I found most of the "demon's" outbursts-as spoken by Mercedes McCambridge-thru Linda Blair-hilarious.

"Mildred Pierce"

Love it when Ann Blyth slaps Joan Crawford!

Funny you should ask. The scene in Now, Voyager with the cab driver when they have the accident. This was on just the other day. The cab driver's performance has me laughing till I'm crying every time! A little break from the melodrama - NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT. :-)

I always love the slapping scenes too!

Message was edited by:

bradtexasranger

"But cha AAH, Blanche, ya AAH in that chair."

I LOVE Peter Lorre's tirade in "The Maltese Falcon," before bursting into tears...

"You...you bungled it. You and your stupid attempt to buy it. Kemedov found out how valuable it was-no wonder we had such an easy time stealing it. You...you imbecile. You stupid fat-head you."

Oh gosh, I had to laugh reading that Lorre quote... I can see him saying it in my mind even though I have never seen The Maltese Falcon.

My pic would have to be Silent of the Lambs. It's the only movie that comes to mind right now... I cannot watch this movie without laughing at "Hello, Clarice..." And the countless other histarical quotes from this horror flick.

All of you have mentioned some great scenes. For me it would have to be seeing the people fall off of the "Titanic" in that horrible DiCaprio version. Not only was it boring, but I really hate the love story that it was turned into. I can't help but laugh at the sinking scene because it's the only amusing part of the film.

benwhowell,

Another scene in "Mildred Pierce" I don't understand, thus makes me shake my head, then laugh. And I should know this scene word for word, because TCM has played the thing about one billion times (the Blyth tribute to Crawford short film).

[Veda (Ann Blyth) has just found Mildred's (Joan Crawford) waitress uniform in a closet at home]...

Veda: My mother...a waitress.

Mildred: I took the only job I could get...so you and your sister could eat and have a place to sleep and some clothes on your backs.

Veda: Aren't the pies bad enough? Did you have to degrade us?

Mildred: Veda, don't talk like that!

Veda: I'm really not surprised. You've never spoken of your people...who you came from...so perhaps it's natural. Maybe that's why father...

I mean, c'mon they are related...right? Mildred's "people" are Veda's "people". That Veda, she needs to pay attention during her biology class.

By the way, the scene I mention has made me shake my head about a billion times. Thus, one heck of a pain in my neck.

Rusty

> All of you have mentioned some great scenes. For me

> it would have to be seeing the people fall off of the

> "Titanic" in that horrible DiCaprio version. Not

> only was it boring, but I really hate the love story

> that it was turned into. I can't help but laugh at

> the sinking scene because it's the only amusing part

> of the film.

I'm sorry, it's just plain sick to find humor in that.

> (*blushes*) I must be the only person on this board

> or anywhere in the world who hasn't seen this

> version. Even more shockingly, I own it and still

> have not gotten to it. All the controversy has

> stirred my curiosity. I will have to put it higher

> on my list. :)

It is hard to believe there's someone around who hasn't seen it......... LOL( you are talking about Cameron's Titanic right?) Let us know what you think when you see it, ok?