Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mtnhoocher

Film Noir

I would like to see a day of just Film Noir.......to me those are the best classic movies. I would be interested in your thoughts and favorite Film Noir movies. Maybe TCM will play them one day (hopefully). Here are a few to get started.....

1. Laura-Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews

2. The Damned Don't Cry-Joan Crawford

3. Sunset Blvd.- Gloria Swanson, William Holden

4. Leave Her to Heaven-Gene Tierney

5. The Postman Always Rings Twice- Lana Turner, John Garfield

You probably won't see "Laura," or "Leave Her to Heaven," since those are Fox films, and are shown on their station called The Fox Movie Channel. But "Postman" has been shown a lot, and is definitely one of the better noir films. Check out the "Darkness After Dawn" showcase that TCM has every Saturday morning at 10am - it is their weekly showcase of a film noir classic.

There was one on today. Dark Passage, Humphrey Bogard, Lauren Bacall. There is also a very good movie Crossfire, with Robert Mitchum, Robert Ryan and Robert Young. LOL 3 Roberts. Gaslight was first made in the 30's I don't know the actors, but it was a little more sinister then the 40's version with Ingred Bergman, and Charles Boyer. Any movie with Robert Mitchum, and Humphrey Bogart are worth watching. Hope this helps

Some good Film-Noir's are:

"Double Indemnity" with Barbara Stanwyck

"Murder, My Sweet" with Dick Powell

"The Set-Up" with Robert Ryan

"The Asphalt Jungle" with Sterling Hayden

"Tension" with Richard Basehart & Audrey Totter

"The Blue Dahlia" with Ladd & Lake

Also I don't believe that the film "Leave Her to Heaven"

is film-noir since it is not in black and white.

Mongo

Certainly the best and most evocative film noirs are in black and white, but if I had to pick a great color one, it would be Polanski's hypnotic "Chinatown," thankfully shown recently by TCM (finally, I have a crisp, letterbox print!). In addition to the aformentioned titles, don't overlook "Cat People" (with a great, tormented performance Simone Simone, an atypically ambivalent femme fatale) and "Out of the Past" (with Robert Mitchum, Kirk Douglas and Jane Greer), both directed by the brilliant Jacques Tourneur.