Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sub-titled movies = Yuch

wheel123

who here likes sub-titled movies?

recently TCM showed a bunch, boy, they bored me, i couldnt watch.

i have a pretty big bunch of friends who are TCM buffs, and not 1 enjoys sub-titled foreign, nor silent movies. they never watch these kind

discussing these 2 genres on diff sites, seems very view overall watch them.

im curious the fan base here. anyone?

I don't even think twice about them. I even keep my closed-captioning on most of the time - unless it REALLY interferes with something I want to see onscreen. I can keep the sound way down low and not miss anything; plus, when I'm not watching TCM I'm probably watching BBC/America, and it can be really helpful to have the (not always accurate!) "translation" showing.

Speaking of which - accuracy, I mean - if you've never watched The Weather Channel with captioning..... Don't be eating or drinking, or there'll be a clean-up to do sooner or later! "The Nanny" had some pretty bad errors, too, trying to decipher their accents/sounds/whines (and yes, I LOVED that show, over and over).

Wheel:

You'll find a whole bunch of folks who disagree with you here, I'm not one. If I want to read, I'll pick up a book. Not for silents so much though, they're pretty self-explanatory, the plots were so simple, it's kind of hard not to know what they're saying before the words come on.

Welcome, on board

Anne

I LOVE the silents, so those sorts of subtitles don't bother me.

But I'm not a huge fan of foreign films yet.

I think it's because you know what's going on in a silent, even if you don't read the cards...and the cards aren't that frequent either, so you don't feel like you are 'reading' the film, but watching it...only getting little hints from the cards here and there. Or even better, little 'in jokes' in films like the Chaplin silents.

The Little Tramp walking through the alley getting garbage dropped on him at the beginning of The Kid is funny...but it's even funnier when you read the card:

"His Morning Promenade"

See? Worth the effort to read! Totally! ;)

But with foreign films? Meh. Sometimes, they just seem like too much work for me.

I watch the occasional foreign film...but I'd much prefer to watch a talkie in English...or a silent.

The only "dubbed over" movie I enjoyed watching was Life Is Beautiful. And I don't mind subtitles at all... Especially with silents. I can get just as much into them; but I have to admit I don't watch them as much as others. It takes so much energy! I can't look away from the screen for two seconds or I'll miss something really important...

Bill McCrary:

I love the Nanny and still think it was one of the funniest shows on television. My favorite was always Niles and he would just put me on the floor laughing. I wish I could think up comebacks like him! :)

I like watching subtitled movies every once in a while, mainly because they force me to pay attention ; my mind tends to wander sometimes............... LOL. But I wouldn't want to watch them every day, just for a change of pace every now and then.

By the way, I've recently gotten into silents, they're so soothing to me for some reason, maybe it's the music. And I think TCM has it on the perfect time slot, I don't think I'd be in the mood for it any other time.

Message was edited by:

bradtexasranger

Put me down for subtitles. That's the only way to watch a foreign film for me. Dubbing is usually so badly done it's a joke. I recently caught part of "Das Boot" on tv and while the dubbing was better than most, I found it totally distracting knowing these weren't the actor's voices.

It's not just distracting to watch a dubbed movie, it completely ruins the actor's performance. You can tell a lot from voice tone even if you don't understand the language.

Not watching films because you don't care for subtitles is shutting yourself off from a whole universe of great movies.

Count me in for sub-titles (never dubbed) also when it comes to foreign films. Mr. Hulot's Holiday (Ingmar Bergman's favorite movie) and Mon Oncle are two very funny movies by Jacques Tati that make great viewing for those just getting started with foreign films. Jacques Tati's beloved character Hulot sounds much like that of Chaplin's French pronunciation by no mistake. It was Tati's tribute to Chaplin and you will find many of the manners portrayed by Hulot that are reminders of Chaplin.

Oh, dubbing is terrible! But subtitles can take a lot of patience. Reading subtitles and watching the action are two separate jobs. So, when I get finished reading La Dolce Vita, I will have to go back and watch it to fully take in the movie. Not the end of the world, just takes time and patience.

A while back TCM showed some French Hitchcock shorts, subtitled in English. For some reason I was really glued to those.

LOVE sub-titled movies because I love foreign film and hate dubbing!!! It's really not a prob if you're halfway literate (can read fairly quickly) and get the hang of it... Except of course where they famously post white type on a white sheet or white clothing (frustrating!!!). Curious how old you are, wheel (your e-mail seems to have some "e-mail-ese" in it)? I would think the younger generation, perhaps being used to images requiring less effort and maybe being less used to reading in general (not to mention less patient) might have more of a problem with this.

Otterhere:

Again I reiterate that I hate to just sit and stare at the TV, I am usually doing something such as crocheting, or other craft work, therefore sub-titles are a pain in the neck. With a regular movie, I can count stitches, or glue a bead in place without having to look at the screen. In addition, sometimes my eyes don't coagulate with my brain to comprehend one subtitle before another one pops up. And having a 24 inch screen, I sit about 8 feet away on the couch so the words are not always seen clearly. Not that i'm so old I can't see, but I am nearsighted and while doing craft work, I have no glasses on, but have to put them on to see the words. Although I wore contact lenses for 25 years, I could never adapt to bifocal lenses so had to resort to the old specs. Anyway, I don't know how anyone can just sit and watch TV, my husband used to and al my kids, but it drives me nuts to just sit!

Anne

See, I have the opposite style of movie watching: I give it my entire focus, to the point that it irritates me when people talk through it (same in a theater). Hence, reading subtitles is no problem for me since I'd be staring at the screen anyway.

Different strokes!!!

> See, I have the opposite style of movie watching: I

> give it my entire focus, to the point that it

> irritates me when people talk through it (same in a

> theater). Hence, reading subtitles is no problem for

> me since I'd be staring at the screen anyway.

I'm the same way, otterhere. I'm not a multitasker at all, if I don't give the movie my full attention, I most likely will be lost. Anne, I'm glad you can do other things while watching the movie but that's just not me. That's why I don't mind subtitles, it only helps me to stay focused. I know if I turn my attention to something else for even a second, I could miss something.

Gotcha both!

Like I said, my whole family is different from me. Even in my old days of working for a living, I always had 2 or 3 things going at once. I guess its an occupational hazard of being a secretary and store manager.

Anne

I love movies and reading so I get the best of both worlds with sub-titles...and I do prefer sub-titles over dubbing. The DVD of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" does an excellent job at dubbing dialogue that (perfectly) matches the actor's lips with the literal translation in sub-titles...

thanks for the replies

dubbed movies are annoying, watching lips move with wrong words, hehe

recently our cable has played a few times where the video and audio are off just a hair, whew was it annoying

sub-titled and silents are just not my thing

> I find that with a great foreign film, after awhile

> you forget you are reading subtitles.

Exactly! Once you get used to them, reading subtitles becomes like second-nature after a while. In fact, there have been times while watching a subtitled movie that I'll get up to get a drink or snack and start wondering why I've lost track of what they're saying. I guess I've just become unconscious of the sub-titles.

It's so good to know that lots of other members of the forum have no problems with subtitles and actually enjoy watching foreign-language films. So in order to balance the name of this thread, let me offer the following formula:

People who don't like sub-titled movies = Yuch

;)

I prefer foreign-language films to be sub-titled, not dubbed. I don't find the sub-titles distracting.

I will say, though, that it is easier to watch a sub-titled film on a big screen.

I don't mind having the tv on while I do other things, but I prefer to listen to music while on the computer. If I'm going to watch a movie, I do like to give it my full attention, and I really like to watch them with the lights off.

Sandy K