Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pilot? Saturday, November 18

JackBurley

Hi JackBurley -

I saw that listing too!

I think it refers to a "pilot" episode of some new program on TCM. But what it may be exactly is unknown. I have assumed most of the new original programming we have read about being created for TCM would be in 30 minute episodes but maybe not.

Being slotted between two Tod Browning films makes me wonder if there is a connection between the pilot and Tod Browning.

Otherwise, based solely on the length of the "pilot" program, I was wondering if the program could be a segment from the new program when contemporary "stars" recreate scenes from classic films. I think they shot the "Lost Weekend" scene recreation and I would bet it is only about five minutes long. That would fit the time slot but doesn't necessarily fit between "Freaks" and "Mark Of The Vampire".

That is my best Holmes-ian deduction, my dear Watson....errr, Burley. My curiosity is certainly picqued. And I love surprises. I hope it is something "fun".

Kyle In Hollywood

The schedule shows that at 12:10am they're going to show Pilot. What is it? A short subject? It only takes 5 minutes and is given the date "2006". No other shorts are shown on the schedule...

>>

Looked like trailers for TCM Imports, the November overall trailer (which features faith, justice, democracy and bad boys) but not a Pilot or a trailer for a Pilot.

Whatever it was, the last ten seconds of it looked really cool, but I MISSED IT because I tuned in at 3:05 est when the schedule said it started at 3:10, but it was already over by 3:06. I wish TCM would have a little more consideration for its viewers and start things when they say will, especially late at night. At least reshow it for us, will you TCM?

That's it!

Very reminiscent of Tim Burton and "Vincent".

Not sure why they called it "Pilot" but I stayed up for it.

Really liked RZ' s intro to "Freaks" and "Mark of the Vampire".

Say what you (the univeral you) will about his appearance but the guy comes off as knowing his stuff.

The set is straight out of the TCM set department.

I couldn't stay up for it but from the description it sounds like something the Quay Brothers might create. They work in stop-motion and with things like dolls heads. All very dark and macabre. I saw a selection of their short films on PBS years ago. Visually stunning and enigmatic in their themes. And very sexual. Gotta dig out that VHS tape now.

They became very popular at producing little promos for MTV and I often thought they are responsible for the "From The Vaults" intro on TCM - that dark, dank underground lead-in before the studio promos that run in place of One-Reel Wonders from time to time.

kjk

I really admire the Quay Brothers' work. This "Pilot" was more whimsical than their work. Brightly colored, but starring "monsters". It was cute, whereas the Quay's work is beautifully sinister. I'm glad you brought it up, as "From the Vaults" always reminded me of something that I couldn't quite put my finger on. You called it: the Quay Brothers. If they didn't create it, they certainly must have had an influence on it...

JackBurley -

Glad to hear someone else is familiar with the Quay Brothers. I was spellbound the first time I saw their short films and have yet to figure out the meaning of some of them. I often just wrote them off as too politically euro-centric for midwestern me to grasp.

Back to the topic at hand, I just stumbled upon changes to the monthly schedules. Whatever that "pilot" was last Friday, the "program" continues every week with a new "episode" between the Underground selections. This week features "Episode One" (Well, duh!) and there are "episodes" every Friday night through (at least) January (Episode 10). There is the obligatory "hiatus" during 31 Days of Oscar celebration. There may be more to come in March.

Has anyone checked the TCM Uniderground website for information about this weekly feature? Maybe there is more infor there.

Kyle In Hollywood

That must be (I printed my schedule 3 months ago -so....) what I picked up on the hard-drive in the early hours, about 5 minutes long, titled R.I.P., apparently (big red letters). It's saved, but I did the title capture and haven't really watched it yet. So, I can start looking for them every Fri/Sat now, eh?

Good Morning All -

I have caught two of these R.I.P. "shorts" between films during the daytime hours over the holiday weekend - "Kong" and "3-D Glasses" - and was amused with each of them.

I found this link on the homepage -

http://www.tcm.com/redirects/link/?cid=151135

- and hopefully it will lead the curious to a page where one can see more of the entire collection and learn about the filmmaker responsible for these ingenious chuckles.

I appreciate TCM designating a time on the schedule (Friday Nights) to catch each of these "films" for anyone wanting to record them. If only they would do the same with the "100 Years At The Movies" for all those that have been trying to snag a copy of that short.

Kyle In Hollywood

"I appreciate TCM designating a time on the schedule (Friday Nights) to catch each of these "films" for anyone wanting to record them. If only they would do the same with the "100 Years At The Movies" for all those that have been trying to snag a copy of that short."

And the "credit roll". I've been on the look-out for this all week and have yet to catch it. I understand -- from other threads -- that it's playing in theatres, as well as on TCM, but I haven't seen it anywhere yet...

Thanks for the R.I.P. information!

filmlover -

It is the general consensus that "Pilot" and the subsequent episodes refers to a new series of short films by a young animator that were commissioned by TCM and are all take-offs on classic films. See the link in a post I made below to go to a page TCM has devoted to this series of shorts/interstitials. They all go by the title "R.I.P." and feature the same hero and villain.

The films are seen at other times of the day also (not just during the time set aside between TCM Underground features on the weekly schedule) as I caught two of them during the day last weekend. Very ingenious. Check them out.

kjk