Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Line from Western

KerowynA

I am searching for a Western where a couple arrived in a primitive place (early San Francisco?) and the husband kept taking off for years at a time, saying "I'll be back before you know I'm gone", while the wife stayed behind and gradually made their fortune on her own, possibly owning the town's biggest hotel or saloon by the end of the movie. The husband just kept checking in over the years.

I think I saw this movie at a drive-in as a child. Since I am not a big fan of Westerns, I could use some help tracking it down. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

It is Cimarron, a famous book turned into a film (twice). I know from having seen the 1960 version, that what is said below is true. I love Glenn Ford, but this is by far NOT his best film. His acting is great, but the screenplay is no good.

From Wikipedia:

Cimarron is the title of a novel published by popular historical fiction author Edna Ferber in 1929. The book was adapted into a critically acclaimed film in 1931 through RKO Pictures. In 1960, the story was again adapted for the screen to meager success by MGM. Both the novel and 1931 film have fallen out of favor due to perceived racism.