Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

lucille ball

wheel123

tcm just showed a bunch of lucy's old pre i love lucy films

some i liked, some just ok, some better, some worse, but i must say, i enjoy them alot more than the later i love lucy shows because she actually was a pretty good drama actress.

it was enjoyable seeing her out of the wacky lucy era.

i guess im getting older, hehe

November's theme is right up my ally!! I adore Lucille Ball, for all her accomplishment, but especially her films (sometimes more so than her tv-shows, believe it or not!). She truly is my favorite "movie-star"!

Now, i don't like to brag, but I may have had something to do with Lucille Ball being star of the month. What i mean is, a couple month before November, i came to the tcm site, and suggested practically all the Lucille movies I could think of (that i don't have) at the time. Then, much to my delight, I noticed her to be the star of the month, just a little while afterward! That just goes to show, the squeaky (sp) wheel really does get the oil ^_^

By the way, my favorite Lucille Ball films (which also happen to be some of my favs of all-time) include:

*1985- Stone Pillow* (one of the most heart-warming, yet light-hearted lovely films i've ever seen!)

*1974- Mame* (One of the most underappreciated, best musicals ever!! What a glorious soundtrack!)

*1942- The Big Street* (A film with a perfectly bitter plot, but an even more perfectly bitter-sweet ending. Never before have I seen such an initially ruthless(sp) film, be so touchingly sweet at the end!)

*1943- Best Foot Forward* (This is a "merry-go-round of a film" if ever there was one! Aside from the fabulous songs, this film includes very clever dialogue, just hopping with humor!)

For the record, I consider Ball and Hope to be "the best" screen-team ever!- with even more chemistry in-fact, than she had on-screen with Desi. I mean, when Lucy and Bob kissed in "The Facts of Life", it just made me all warm inside; they were hot!!! This may seem extremely far-fetched, and kinda off-topic, but I always thought that if the both of them had been single at the same time, in real-life, I always thought they would've made a very playful, great couple!

I know, i've gotta wild imagination!!

CineSage, even on Thanksgiving, you are such an a.s.s.

For those who are new here, CineSage is a pompous a.s.s., hereafter referred to as PA, who thinks he knows everything.

Imagine how sad he is, that he has to intrude on a thread which is paying tribute to Lucille Ball, a true genius, as was her husband, Desi Arnaz?

You have to feel sorry for CineSage, he is as pathetic as Michael Richards, only without any discernible talent.

Newcomers...try to ignore CineSage. He will attempt to prove that he is a legend in his own mind by correcting your grammar and giving asinine opinions like those above, but remember, he is a **** here and is allowed to post his snotty posts only because WE let him.

CineSage, why don't you do like Michael Richards should, and fade away, since you are an a.s.s?

Storybellz, you are quite correct, Ball and Arnaz were geniuses in the history of television and enormous talents in their own right. Television would not be where it is without them.

Now stoney:

Cinesage is entitled to his opinion of Lucy, just as I have often stated what a slimy looking, no-talent, worm, marble mouth Brando is. Any actor, director, or movie is fair game for good or bad opinions.

Your estimation of his grammar non-ethics is a different story. Expounding on an entertainer who is a non-entity is one thing, but an attack on a fellow poster is unfair, personally embarrassing, and just plain wrong. As I told Bartlett earlier on another thread, maybe if we ignore it, it will just go away.

Anne

metsfan said:

Bob Hope and Lucille Ball were great in "The Facts Of Life".

Hmmm... Everyone I have spoken to about this film says it is terrible. Am I missing out by not watching it? I saw the commercial and it sparked interest in me. I actually got out my dvd to record it and decided not to. I usually stray away from Hope's later work in films... Eek!

Back to Lucy:

How many people caught Du Barry Was A Lady early this morning? I don't like Lucille Ball at all, she makes me cringe. But I loved this film! Red Skelton was so funny (my first Skelton movie!) and I thought Kelly was his usually endearing self. And she wasn't so bad either ;):)

bhf1940

*1985- Stone Pillow* (one of the most heart-warming, yet light-hearted lovely films i've ever seen!)

I never quite knew what to make of it. I taped that on my first VCR when it was shown, but I remember feeling so sorry for her (and us). Playing a "bag lady" in winter (to be shown late in the year) but filmed in summertime (in NYC, if I remember), it nearly killed her (the heat, dehydration, etc.) and I felt it showed. The only time I ever remember seeing her really seem old - only 74 or so at the time.... I need to hunt that one up and watch it again, maybe put it to DVD while (if?!) it still plays. I didn't think it had ever been issued, but then I got a commercial copy of the 1989 "Dinner at Eight" with Lauren Bacall and others, a closeout at a rental place locally, which is an excellent tape (one could argue about some of the performances).

I'm shocked to hear that you haven't seen this film being a huge Bob Hope fan. It isn't as bad as people describe it and there's no "mushy" scenes involved. The actors are very natural and most of the film is serious. I can't force you to like Lucille Ball but give this film a chance one day. You won't hurl from watching it. lol

Stoney, you apparently have nothing better to do than rant on for half a page (and you dare compare me to Michael Richards?), not about the substance of my statement, but about the person who wrote it. If you have an opinion, just rebut the damn thing (if, indeed, you have a cogent argument to make), but spare us your copious, and irrelevant keystrokes trying to point out that my perceptions fail to meet your exacting standards.

It's a cheap tactic to make oneself feel (and, to the gullible, appear) superior. Unlike various roads to self-improvement, yours requires little more than a soapbox (the Internet is perfect for that, sadly) and single-minded persistence.

I'm sorry, Pompous a**, did you say something?

I just read blah, blah, blahdiddy, pompous, blah.

Sad little pompous man.

It's a cheap tactic to make oneself feel (and, to the gullible, appear) superior.

Talk about kettle, you're not even bright enough to see how that's all you do with your pompous a** grammar corrections.

You can go back under your rock now.

Nope, you mean nothing to me.

I just think you're a pompous a.s.s. and want to make sure those who have more manners than I know it and don't take your condescending imperious grammatical corrections as anything more than the disgusting posts that they are. There might be some here who take those posts to heart and in thinking you are a decent and valued human being here, might be offended by your moronic criticism.

That's all. Back under your rock, little man.

And no, deluded one, you don't speak for 'everyone else'. Where DID you get that great big unwarranted ego, anyway? Born that way?

Amazing.

I may be lurking onto a touchy topic rigt now, but this is a Lucille Ball tribute thread, and i want to post a tribute about her, my style....

It amazes me that Lucille Ball is hardly ever reffered to as one of the great beauties of Hollywood's "golden age". I mean, she was, after-all, a modle first.

Anyway, the folks who only know her for her tv work are really missing-out, because, she has a very diverse and entertaining line of movies to her credit ("Mame" being my fav, along with "That's Right- Your Wrong", "The Big Street", and other gems). I'll never understand why (with such talent, and great films to back it up) she always remained known as "Queen of the B's".

Another title she's well-known for, and doubtlessly most remembered for is "That Zany Red-Head". Well, all I can say is- if that's the most prominate way they see her, once again- they're missing-out! She was so cute in her early days, and so glamorous thereafter. Forget "that crazy red-head", how'bout that soucy siren (you get the idea)!

Yep, if I were a man (or not), and if i were around in her hay-day, i'da married (sp) her! There's no denying, Desi was a lucky guy! But hey, guys aren't always the only ones who can apreciate femenine beauty- she gets my pick as "# 1 **** of Hollywood's Golden-Age".

Anyone else here feel the same?

P.S.

Please excuse errors in spelling and grammar, but i type in a hurry.

Nope, you mean nothing to me.

I just think you're a pompous a.s.s. and want to make sure those who have more manners than I know it and don't take your condescending imperious grammatical corrections as anything more than the disgusting posts that they are. There might be some here who take those posts to heart and in thinking you are a decent and valued human being here, might be offended by your moronic criticism.

That's all. Back under your rock, little man.

And no, deluded one, you don't speak for 'everyone else'. Where DID you get that great big unwarranted ego, anyway? Born that way?

Amazing.

Amazing is right. You really must suffer from one immense inferiority complex to go on and on and on about my supposed failings, all the while evading the question that started the whole thing: my contention that Lucille Ball was Eve Arden without the talent (a characterization that, I suspect, would've amused Miss Ball no end). If you think I'm wrong, then make your case as to why, or just shut up.

Hi people I have not been on in awhile but this caught my eye . I love Lucille Ball not so much for her movies and don't get me wrong here i did like her movies but the I Love Lucy shows I really enjoyed .The ones where her and Ricky go to Hollywood and meet the stars are my favorites . She brought a lot of laughter into our homes long ago . I would love to have those shows on DVD .