Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TikiSoo

Mary Tyler Moore Appreciation Thread

Thought I might check out RHODA, but looking through my library's lists, I found 2000's MARY & RHODA show on DVD. It was an attempt to create a new show with the original charactors, thrown into life together again as mature active seniors.

Mary Richards is a widow with a 20 something daughter and Rhoda a divorcee with a 20 something daughter. The pilot show was 90 minutes and very well made. I can see why it bombed, though. The story itself was a meandering drama with very little cleverness to it. And for anyone knowing what NYC life is like, completely unrealistic.

The highlight was Mary's boss, a 33 y/o who could not speak in complete sentences and constantly played "with toys" as Mary points out. Zero professionalism, something that annoys me in the business world too.

So if that was the high point of the story, there should have been more of it. It should have been written with many more clever funny lines (like the orig MTM show) and been a "generational" comedy. What a missed opportunity! After all the GOLDEN GIRLS was extremely popular....having Mary & Rhoda as wise cracking seniors would have been a natural progression of their lives as young singles.

I'm very sad the series never gelled-it was great seeing these two great stars back on the screen. I hope MTM didn't take it as hard as Lucy did when her "comeback" show failed. We all still love you Mary & Valerie-two talented gals who brought us tons of pleasure & laughter!

• Like 1

It's been a year since we lost MTM so I thought might as well see where she's interred to pay my respects. She's buried in Fairfield CT just east of New Rochelle NY- the setting for the Petrie's home.

A must stop whenever in the vicinity is the Super Duper Weenie Truck
D0XYPIIL3NYATS4NAVY541WZAQKUFLNQDUUY1PL4GMVBQP13.jpg ...and Martha Stewart's estate.

• Like 1

I was watching the MTMS on Sundance last night. A couple of first season

episodes. I noticed that Mary has a stereo and one speaker, but not two.

Maybe she bought a second speaker later on. 

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

I had no idea that was on the Sundance channel.

5 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Hopefully.  Her apartment does get robbed twice in the first season, maybe she wasn't able to get the second speaker back! Then she has a tiny tiny TV, it has like a 3" screen.  I think at some point, maybe when she moves into her new apartment, she has a bigger stereo. 

6 hours ago, Thenryb said:

I had no idea that was on the Sundance channel.

I didn't either until I happened to notice it last night. Sundance has been running a

number of classic TV shows, but I think MTM started just recently, as the episodes

I saw were early ones from the first season. I haven't watched the show in years,

so it was nice to see them again after all that time.

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Hopefully.  Her apartment does get robbed twice in the first season, maybe she wasn't able to get the second speaker back! Then she has a tiny tiny TV, it has like a 3" screen.  I think at some point, maybe when she moves into her new apartment, she has a bigger stereo. 

Could be. I remember seeing ads for those tiny TVs back in the day. The tiny TV

was where one might expect the second speaker to be placed. You really do notice

something new on occasion. I really enjoyed seeing the show again as I haven't seen

it in ages. Looking forward to late night next Thursday.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

was where one might expect the second speaker to be placed. You really do notice

something new on occasion. I really enjoyed seeing the show again as I haven't seen

I have the entire series on DVD, so I've seen all the episodes multiple times.  I re-watched the entire series after MTM died last year.  I've also seen the first three seasons more times that I'd like to admit (well actually I don't care, I love this show), because those are the only seasons on Hulu and they don't require me to find the disks when I want to put on background noise for cleaning and such.  

I also read that I Love Lucy and Mary Tyler Moore are being added to The Decades channel.  I don't have that channel or MeTV, though I do have Sundance, so I won't be able to watch.  The only thing I hate about watching these shows on TV are the commercials.  I discovered MTM back on Nick at Nite in the 90s when I was an obsessed viewer and watched almost every night from 8-11 (later on Fridays and Saturdays). 

18 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I have the entire series on DVD, so I've seen all the episodes multiple times.  I re-watched the entire series after MTM died last year.  I've also seen the first three seasons more times that I'd like to admit (well actually I don't care, I love this show), because those are the only seasons on Hulu and they don't require me to find the disks when I want to put on background noise for cleaning and such.  

I also read that I Love Lucy and Mary Tyler Moore are being added to The Decades channel.  I don't have that channel or MeTV, though I do have Sundance, so I won't be able to watch.  The only thing I hate about watching these shows on TV are the commercials.  I discovered MTM back on Nick at Nite in the 90s when I was an obsessed viewer and watched almost every night from 8-11 (later on Fridays and Saturdays). 

I have DirecTV and none of those classic TV channels are offered. Sundance runs

the show for 35 minutes, but who knows if that's just to jam in more commercials.

So far if there are cuts, they are pretty well hidden.

45 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I have DirecTV and none of those classic TV channels are offered. Sundance runs

the show for 35 minutes, but who knows if that's just to jam in more commercials.

So far if there are cuts, they are pretty well hidden.

In many of the "newer" shows (relatively speaking in comparison to I Love Lucy) where commercials weren't produced as part of the show, the shows were made to accomodate longer commercial breaks.  And many shows, at least I know I Love Lucy did this, I'm sure others do too, were made into three acts.  The shows were designed to create space for the commercial breaks. 

In I Love Lucy for example:

ACT 1: Lucy finds out about Ricky's needing a new girl dancer for his act at the Tropicana.  She auditions and gets Ricky to agree to give her the job if she can fit into the costume by the end of the week (Ricky of course doesn't think she can do it and promises her the job, just so she'd go away).  

(Commercial)

ACT 2: Lucy, needing to lose 12 pounds, enlists Ethel's help.  The rest of the act is comprised of Ethel timing Lucy's sprints around the fourth floor, helping her jump rope, weighing her and keeping her on a strict celery diet.  Lucy of course, desperate for something other than celery and starving, fights with the Mertzes' dog, Butch, (the only time he ever appears on the show) for a piece of steak.

(Commercial)

ACT 3: Lucy, in one last desperate attempt to lose the remaining last five pounds, rents a steam box and vows to sit in there all day in an attempt to sweat the weight off.  Ethel reluctantly agrees to check on her later that afternoon.  Ethel checks on Lucy and only finds her towel. Lucy comes out of the bathroom, stating that she's lost the weight.  Now at the Tropicana, Ricky is starting his "Cuban Pete" number and here comes Lucy.  Lucy sings "Sally Sweet," she and Ricky are excellent.  Backstage, Lucy collapses due to malnutrition and has to give up her part. She gives Ethel the key to unlock the girl who Ricky hired for the part.  Lucy had tied her up and trapped her in the closet. 

(End Credits)

Now, the show looks like this:

ACT 1: Lucy finds out about Ricky's needing a new girl dancer for his act at the Tropicana.  (commercial)

She auditions and gets Ricky to agree to give her the job if she can fit into the costume by the end of the week (Ricky of course doesn't think she can do it and promises her the job, just so she'd go away).  

(commercial)

ACT 2: Lucy, needing to lose 12 pounds, enlists Ethel's help. 

(commercial)

The rest of the act is comprised of Ethel timing Lucy's sprints around the fourth floor, helping her jump rope,

(commercial)

weighing her and keeping her on a strict celery diet.  Lucy of course, desperate for something other than celery and starving

(commercial), fights with the Mertzes' dog, Butch, (the only time he ever appears on the show) for a piece of steak.

ACT 3: Lucy, in one last desperate attempt to lose the remaining last five pounds, rents a steam box and vows to sit in there all day in an attempt to sweat the weight off. Ethel reluctantly agrees to check on her later that afternoon. 

(commercial)

Ethel checks on Lucy and only finds her towel. Lucy comes out of the bathroom, stating that she's lost the weight. 

(commercial)

Now at the Tropicana, Ricky is starting his "Cuban Pete" number and here comes Lucy. 

(commercial)

Lucy sings "Sally Sweet," she and Ricky are excellent. 

(commercial)

Backstage, Lucy collapses due to malnutrition and has to give up her part. She gives Ethel the key to unlock the girl who Ricky hired for the part.  Lucy had tied her up and trapped her in the closet. 

(End Credits)

An episode of I Love Lucy airs with 18 minutes of content and 12 minutes of commercials.

All I Love Lucy episodes were produced to be 28 mins long as the two minutes of commercials were Philip Morris commercials that Lucy and Desi starred in on behalf of their client.  I know that there is a Post cereal commercial during an episode of The Andy Griffith Show that features Ron Howard, Andy Griffith and Don Knotts.  However, when regular commercials started hitting the airways, shorter episodes were produced.  I believe that episodes of The Mary Tyler Moore Show are 24 mins long.  I think I read somewhere that shows are now 22 minutes long.  I imagine that if you're a channel that has to sell a lot of commercial time to succeed, then episodes are cut even shorter.  Hallmark and TVLand are awful at how they edit their episodes.  They'll put a commercial right in the middle of the scene! They won't even wait until there is a break in the action.  I can't even watch I Love Lucy on TV.  There is so much chopped out that it is unbearable to watch. 

18 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I'm watching a Season 3 episode of Mary Tyler Moore, (the one where Ted renegotiates his contract and starts doing commercials) and Mary has upgraded her TV.  Now she has a TV that looks very similar to the one that I had to watch Nick at Nite on back in the 90s, except hers is color.  The TV I used was in black and white and in my parents' room.  It was probably like 12" and had a UHF and VHF dial.  Both dials had rings around them that were used to adjust the contrast.  I never used the dials because we had a tuner box hooked up the cable.  The channels on the VHF dial didn't go up high enough to get all the channels we had. I think the dial stayed on 3 and we used the tuner box.  The TV that I used and Mary's TV both have the faux woodgrain design on the outside. 

If I got to watch on the "big" TV in the living room, then that was a treat.  We did later get a 19" color tube TV for Super Nintendo that I was able to use... if my sister wasn't playing Super Nintendo. 

The commercials on Sundance don't seem that intrusive. They do one after

the first act, one after the second, and that's about it. I think MTM did

originally run for 24 or 25 minutes. I'll have to use the stopwatch function

on my calculator to see how much is being taken out. I notice that quite

often the channels that run Andy Griffith will just skip the short finale

that runs for two or three minutes and go right to the credits. I remember

when I was a kid and my parents went out for the night they said they

had something that could tell them if the TV had been on or not. That

thing was just them checking to see if the top of the TV was still warm.

Shame on them. :)

It's nice to see a thread dedicated to Mary Tyler Moore and there are others here who are fans. I'm more of a recent fan (around 5 years) but I absolutely adore her. She wasn't just a pretty face or even just a comedic actress, she broke the glass ceiling for women in comedy TV and don't forget her charity work with animal rescue and diabetes research. She seemed like such a nice person and it's a shame she's no longer with us but at least we can watch her in her in reruns and occasionally on TCM!