Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"I LOVE LUCY"

KathleenT

I watched the Big Street on Wednesday and was totally blown away by Miss Lucille Ball!!! Henry Fonda wasn't bad either! ;)

I was amazed at all the movies she did. She was great in the Big Street, totally out of character but really awesome.....

Since I was a kid I remember her as Lucy Ricardo, I remember seeing the Long Long Trailer when I was a kid too. I think back then I would have been really disappointed to have seen her without Ricky or Ethel & Fred. But now that I am older I can really appreciate her as an actress. When they say she didn't make it as a really big movie star and she was in B movies, I would have to say because her destiny was to become "I LOVE LUCY". If she had made it as a big screen star, then perhaps she would never have come to the small screen...?

f she had made it as a big screen star, then perhaps she would never have come to the small screen...?>>

If she had made it as a big screen star, then she might not have married Desi. Which meant there would be Lucy, Jr or Desi, Jr.

There would be no "I Love Lucy", "The Untouchables", "The Danny Thomas Show" and "The Andy Griffith Show" because there would have been no Desilu.

Without Desilu, the evolution of the three camera sitcom performed before a live audience would not have happened when it did, which means Sid Caesar would not have had a show or the career he had. Without Sid Caesar, Woody Allen, Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner, Neil Simon, Danny Simon and other writers would have had a harder time breaking into television and ultimately films. Without Sid Caesar, Imogene Coca would not have had the career she had.

Without Desilu, what we consider the first Golden Age of Television would be very different and likely not as memorable.

Without Lucy as a comedic television star there would not be Carol Burnett.

Without "I Love Lucy", would Lucille Ball have been able to sustain the career that Lucy did and mentor and inspire the comedians who came after her?

So, like George Bailey, had Lucille Ball been a big screen star, our ideas of comedy and what is funny would be different, Hollywood history would be different and television history would be very different.

Sometimes, the path that we want so very much is not the path that will lead to a better life and success.

Thankfully, Lucille Ball chose the path, however unwittingly, that led to a better life for all involved.

Message was edited by:

lzcutter because life and live are two different words.

I think you have a point, Kathleen ... for all Lucy's talent and wonderful film performances, her movie career just never took flight the way some leading ladies' did, and this probably led her to pursue TV. She seemed to play a lot of second or third fiddles in major movies, and leads in lesser ones.

I have not seen enough of her films. I really enjoyed Yours, Mine and Ours with Lucy and H. Fonda, though.

:)

Excellent points, lzcutter.

If Lucy was a big star and didn't meet Desi and didn't get married and didn't start DesiLu with him....well, we would be living in Pottersville and television would not be what it is now. So The Amazing Race has Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz and the studio system to thank.

Wonderful, ain't it?

At the same time, Bette Davis had no influence whatsoever over television.

Lucille Ball was gorgeous and beyond brilliant and Desiderio Arnaz was brave and handsome and ever more beyond brilliant than Lucy, I think. I think he was the brains behind DesiLu, right? At any rate, every single troglodyte pulling down their underwear on all the faux reality shows on their stinking HD televisions today owes their soul to Lucy and Desi.

And what slays me is that Lucy couldn't even say 'pregnant' on her show.

Oh....how.......far...........we've.........come. Not.

IMAGINE what Lucy and Desi would have done with today's television. Then again, perhaps they would be sucked in by the greed that rules digital and cable and HD and movies and Hollyweird today too.

So who knows.

At any rate, thank you Lucy. Thank you Desi. In a thousand years, Amazing Race and Borat will be but an embarrassing blot. YOU will still be the heroes of the medium.

dolores

So The Amazing Race has Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz and the studio system to thank.>>

Delores,

The Amazing Race and the current state of television is more the fault of us the consumers than Lucy and Desi. Desi pioneered the way but what we do with it is our responsibility.

If we the consumers stopped watching reality shows, true crime shows, and all the other stuff that passes for entertainment then the networks would find something else to fill those hours with.

But the reality is that we the consumers are the ones watching those shows in droves and so the networks keep making them.

The fault lies not in Lucy and Desi but in ourselves.

Baa-baa-baa, here come the sheep again. As stated I watched the first season of Survivor, and 2 episodes of season 2, the same with Who Wants to be a Millionaire, then chucked the whole thing, Next thing I know, there's more, and more, and more, and more 'reality' shows. In addition CSI and Law & Order start spreading out like my thighs when I eat pie and cake. Now there is NOTHING on TV except criminology, reality, and game shows. So, like sheep, what do people do? They watch. The AVERAGE movie gets worse and worse, so what do people do? They pay exhorbitant prices for the priviledge of watching. Cattle, at least fight when they get to the slaughter house, but sheep just calmly go along in droves. So instead of holding out for more intelligent viewing, the masses just accept the junk they're offered. They blithely go along surfing the internet looking at stuff like YouTube and laughing at the stuff offered, not realizing, that 'stuff' is really making fun of them for watching the drivel. Since I've had this computer, I've joined ABC, NBC, CBS, Bravo, SciFi, and HBO and I've put my lousy two cents in on the drivel they offer. I pay for movies on HBO, not the Sopranos (which makes fun of my ancestors) or the Wire, or Oz or any other TV show which is only different from the networks in that they can use foul language. The stories and results are all the same as in network TV.

Give me Clifton Webb who altho embarrassing to his children at times, is a good, caring father, and an intelligent human being, rather than Steve Martin who has to call his wife to get order in the home, as in the case of Cheaper by the Dozen. Due to Clifton's training and discipline, Mother can carry on alone in Bells on their Toes so that all 12 children get the highest education they can.

Lucy was a nut, and Desi put up with her shenanigans, but they were two adults, they never got little Ricky involved in their hi-jinks. There was never any 'don't tell your father/mother' crap either. I Love Lucy was comedy for comedy's sake, just like Laverne and Shirley. Until the mid-70's the parents had the control, now it's the kids that do, but good old imbecilic mom and dad are always there to clean up the mess, that shouldn't have been caused in the first place.

Desilu was exceptional, I don't know if it's been mentioned, but don't forget they used cameras and film rather than kinescope as most sit-coms did in those days, which is why so many of the old TV classics are gone but I Love Lucy is as clear and bright as when first run.

I don't mean to be cynical, but lzcutter touched a sore point with me. I'm not a terribly intelligent person, but if I can realize that junk begets more junk, I can't see why more people don't stop watching the trash that is offered nowadays.

Anne

My theory of reality shows' success, which I have never shared before: They took off partly because most of the sitcoms they bumped were so poorly written. So inane, so un-lifelike, and--even less forgivably--so UNFUNNY, that even the dialogue that ordinary folks can make up on the spot seemed clever and amusing by comparison.

If the 50's were the "golden age" of TV comedy, I think we reached the "dark ages" in about 1990. Trying to find funny stuff on network TV today makes me all the more appreciative of Lucille Ball and those who scripted I Love Lucy.

End of soapbox/rant.

And mrsl, don't forget that Lucy couldn't even say 'pregnant'.

There was an episode recently of Two And A Half Men, whose hilarity focused on one of the two male characters rubbing oil on the exposed...EXPOSED...huge fake pregnant belly of a female character.

Hysterically funny, no?

When I commented on another site, I was told it WAS funny and that the belly WAS fake, after all. Ahhhhhhhhhh, so I am a dinosaur. Thank the stars I am, then.

pintorini, I would have to put the year at 1998. When Seinfeld went off the air, in my opinion the sitcoms did a nosedive into the porcelain receptacle.

Some thought Arrested Development was funny. I did not. Some think My Name Is Earl and The Office are funny. I just can't see it.

I still find reruns of Seinfeld (and I Love Lucy) funny after ALL these years. To me, that says something about the writing and acting in these shows, and says nothing about the unfunny material in the current sitcoms.

But hey, my one voice counts for naught.

dolores

Stoney:

Yours and mine together can't make a dent either. I spent 3-1/2 hours last night watching Comic Relief for the Katrina rebuilding. I never really watched one before because I didn't realize they were benefits, like PBS has for their station. It's made up of comics doing short 5-10 minute bits, with a little music fill ins and Whoopi, Billy Crystal, and Robin Williams as hosts. Never before have I watched a show where I wished the hosts would hurry back but last night I did. Every single comic, with the exception of Lewis Black, (who is purely political) from Roseanne Barr to Bill Maher used sex as their topic. Now I like a sexual joke as much as the next guy, but after 15 or so people all using the same references, with just one or two differences in situation, get terribly boring. I laughed the hardest at Whoopi describing the technicians at TBS where it was being simul-cast trying to cover all the bleeps. The language was completely vulgar.

I remember about 30 years ago, watching Bill Cosby Himself, My 4 kids, my husband, and I falling off the furniture, holding our sides from laughing so hard and so much. In 2 hours and 10 minutes, the man had us belly-laughing non-stop and never a single sexual story or foul word. HBO has been re-running it this month for some reason, and although I have it on tape, and have seen it many, many times, there is always something more to laugh at because you miss a lot from laughter. I recommend it for anyone who wants to see, and hear pure comedy. It's a treasure from beginning to end. I believe the worst word he uses is damn, without a G in front of it. He uses common everyday, family experiences that will still be timely another 30 years from now. He talks about getting drunk and hugging the porcelain throne, parental punishment as both a child and a father, he talks about the difference in the beautifully groomed woman you see every morning leaving for work, and the same woman getting the kids ready for bed. The whole thing is marvelous, and I've seen it on rental shelves.

Anne

Message was edited by:

mrsl

Thank You Mrs for your comment.I totally agree .IHave to say the only shows I watch is Medium ER and the original original Law and Order. the rest of the shows I do not bother with I use to watch A&e but now I only Watch Murder She Wrote even that station is getting bad I liked it when They had on Quincy years ago.I like Opera I wish they would have one on.It's gotten where I get DVD's and watch them on my computer I also have found some good DVD's at the dollar tree Like Sherlock Holmes Jack Benny. Give Me Clifton Webb any day the original Cheaper By the Dozen was a pure classic.I never go to the movies any more unless it's an animated movie and even that I'm picky on.Also you made avery good point about the Lucy and Desi.

If you ever run for an office you get my vote Christine

Agreed, Delores. Seinfeld and a few others exempted from my earlier comments. I consider those "good" sitcoms, as far as sitcoms go. Sophisticated writing, etc. Until the about the 80's or 90's, though, it seemed to me that even stupid sitcoms were often funny. The Jeffersons was funny, at some level. Or at least, I can see how people could think it was.

This whole discussion fits my larger theory that today's Hollywood comedy writers can't write. Interestingly, I read a few months ago that Hollywood writers over age 40 brought a lawsuit claiming age discrimination in hiring and job retention. They claimed that writers over 40 were forced out in favor of younger writers. I remember thinking, gosh, that would sure explain a lot if it's true. Writing is one thing people tend to get better at with age, in my view.

Also agreed, pintorini.

The older worker pushed out in favor of the new is symptomatic of all Corporate America, however. I can just imagine how frightening it is in Hollyweird to go for a job interview if one has crow's feet. They probably make Botox a job requirement.

I remember reading, when the faux 'reality' craze was in full swing, how upset the real writers were. The 'reality' show producers were crowing ecstatically how they just had to cobble together a bunch of film of people acting stupidly, edit it to highlight the untruth about it all, and voila, a show made on the cheap, without actors, directors or writers.

Fortunately, that's now coming back to bite them in their ****. I'm SURE there are still competent people in the industry who can restore the medium to at least a shadow of its self, but I haven't seen any evidence yet.

Finally, while true on The Jeffersons, I cringe in embarrassment for Florida and James when I surf, quickly, past Good Times. Hoo boy!

dolores

Which is ehy I urge everybody to watch Studio 60: on the Sunset Strip tonight at 8:00 or 9:00 CST (I can't recall because since the first week, it's been in my automatic setting). Good crisp writing, witty, and sharp, try it, you'll like it.

Anne

Yes, that's what I meant. These two very competent actors had to put up with the hack Walker who somehow, inexplicably, became popular during this show's run.

If time is any judge, the actor who played Florida passed away, but the actor who played James is still a very good actor.

Meanwhile, Walker, what have YOU done lately?

Hah.

Hope he saved the pennies he made when he was admired.

> And mrsl, don't forget that Lucy couldn't even say

> 'pregnant'.

>

> There was an episode recently of Two And A Half Men,

> whose hilarity focused on one of the two male

> characters rubbing oil on the

> exposed...EXPOSED...huge fake pregnant belly of a

> female character.

>

> Hysterically funny, no?

>

> When I commented on another site, I was told it WAS

> funny and that the belly WAS fake, after all.

> Ahhhhhhhhhh, so I am a dinosaur. Thank the stars I

> am, then.

>

> pintorini, I would have to put the year at 1998. When

> Seinfeld went off the air, in my opinion the sitcoms

> did a nosedive into the porcelain receptacle.

>

> Some thought Arrested Development was funny. I did

> not. Some think My Name Is Earl and The Office are

> funny. I just can't see it.

>

> I still find reruns of Seinfeld (and I Love Lucy)

> funny after ALL these years. To me, that says

> something about the writing and acting in these

> shows, and says nothing about the unfunny material in

> the current sitcoms.

>

> But hey, my one voice counts for naught.

>

> dolores

stoneyburke I totally agree with you. I have not watched network television since Seinfeld went off the air. Nothing being offered now looks even remotely good. The only tv I watch is TCM or the occasional Food channel show. When I had HBO I loved Rome, Deadwood, and Sex in the City, those were good shows.

sweetbabykmd, yes, I love that network viewership is down. Or at least I hope it is.

Sadly, even the cable station shows have gotten abysmal.

Have you caught the reruns of Six Feet Under and Dead Like Me on cable, though? They were wonderful shows and are only, imo, slightly brutalized in their editing.

Better than most everything else that is new, to me at any rate.

I haven't had HBO since over a year ago, and refuse to pay for it now that there is nothing good on it. They come up with great shows (Rome, Deadwood, Carnivale) and only do one or two seasons, but the garbage stays on forever.

I still have snow where TCM used to be. Our apartments switched from satellight to Comcast and I wasn't going to sign up but they have a good deal for 6 months so I will be getting it until then. Once it gets back to $50 a month I won't do it.

One of the main reasons why reality shows are still so prevalent is that they are cheap for the networks to produce. Someone mentioned it in an earlier post--they don't have to pay writers, actors, scenic designers, etc.

I agree with mrsl--Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is a great new show.

Sandy K

Sorry, sweetbabykmd. I don't have HBO. I should have clarified that Dead Like Me and Six Feet Under are on SciFi and BRAVO, respectively. That's why I talked about them being brutalized...every instance of the 'F' word is changed to 'freaking' on BRAVO and there are huge edits and tons of commercials. Even with that, the brief snippets of wonderful acting are good to see.

Yes, I agree, the GOOD shows (Dead Like Me lasted TWO seasons) go off quickly, but the garbage goes on and on.

I too still have snow where TCM was. Our cable WAS at $50. -- it was going UP to $67. if I wanted TCM and HBO. How do people who don't have two people working and kids and a mortgage PAY these kinds of bills???????? I don't get it.

I'm so glad Congress got involved in the deregulation of cable or whatever it is they did many years ago. They made it soooooo much 'better', don't you think? X-(

dolores

These Star of the Month things are really good for me because I've gotten to see some great bodies of work.

I was never aware of all the films Lucille Ball made, except the Lucy/Desi 'Long, Long Trailer, and 'Forever Darling'. Then the later ones with Hope, and Fonda. I had seen 'DuBarry' and the one with Van Johnson/Esther Williams, but that was about it.

All the ones TCM has been showing all month have astounded me. I can't understand Hollywoods' reaction to her. How could they not see her talent? Of course we love her as Lucy Ricardo, and in retrospect, I'm glad H'wood didn't keep her, but the powers that be (as per usual), must have been blind, stupid, or unconscious.

At first I frowned because I thought, 'what are they going to do, run 5 or 6 movies all month long? But OMG, enough movies to fill 4 nights from 7:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m. That's one heck of a career in only 20 years to be given up as "What do we do with her"?

Anne

Well said, Mrs. L! I too really enjoyed seeing so many rarely seen Lucille Ball movies. I'm sorry that I couldn't see more of them ('twas a busy month). The breadth of her work was impressive, from the cold drama of The Big Street (I hope TCM repeats this soon) to the glamour of DuBarry Was a Lady (I hope TCM repeats this soon... but then I repeat myself).

I was watching The Affairs of Annabel last night was struck by her physical comedy. I don't know why; it's certainly apparent in her television work, but somehow I thought that I Love Lucy unleashed this facet of her talent. But it's evident in Annabel, and I too thought, "How could the studio heads have not recognized the treasure that they have?". Really TCM, don't be shy about bringing back some of these lesser-known Lucy gems.