Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
lgmayka

How to get replacement of bad DVD disk?

This past week, I purchased and received the newly released Bing Crosby Screen Legend Collection from Deepdiscountdvd.com. To my dismay, the movie Double Or Nothing on the first disk will not even start, much less play, on any of the several DVD players and drives I have tried.

Obviously, it would do no good to get a replacement from the retailer (Deepdiscountdvd.com), because this is probably a manufacturing problem with the entire batch that the retailer received from Turner Classic Movies. Instead, I need to get a guaranteed-to-work replacement from the latter directly--i.e., a warranty replacement.

How do I do this? I don't see a menu item on their page for it.

This is what I found.Call them and they should replace the disc...

Contact Us

For questions regarding order status or to report a problem with this web site email DeepDiscountDVD.com Customer Service at cs@deepdiscountdvd.com.

To reach Customer Service via telephone call toll-free 800-264-5076. Monday through Friday from 8 A.M. to 7 P.M. CT and on Saturday from 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. CT.

DeepDiscountDVD.com is a division of Infinity Resources, Inc. Our mailing address is:

DeepDiscountDVD.com

PO Box 78

Itasca, IL 60143-0078

vallo

But do you really believe that a replacement boxset from the same retailer will do any better? Don't we have every reason to believe that this is a botched batch, and that many or even all of the boxsets (of this same collection) shipped to Deepdiscountdvd have the same problem?

That is why my question was, How do I get Turner Classic Movies to replace the disk or boxset with one known to be from a good batch?

Most likely, TCM will tell you to contact Deepdiscount for your replacement.

It could be an entire bad run or it could be just a problem with your disc.

Either way, TCM is going to say return it to the people you bought it from.

If you had a coat with a Yves St. Laurent label that you bought at Bloomingdales, if there was a problem with the coat (torn seam, no buttons, torn pocket, etc), you would return to Bloomies for your replacement not YSL.

It's the same thing. If there was a problem with the entire run of discs, then TCM (or more likely the company that made the discs) has sent replacement copies to their vendors so Deepdiscount should be happy to replace it.

If it is just a problem with your disc, either way, Deepdiscount should be willing to replace it and send you one that works.

If you get a second disc that doesn't work then I could see you going to TCM to get the problem resolved but not until you have given Deepdiscount the chance to step up to the plate.

First, you gotta understand that TCM didn't make the DVD. TCM is just a brand name for something that is owned and distributed by Warners. I know from past experience that they will tell you to return it to the retailer. I've bought hundreds of DVDs from deepdiscount and the couple that were defective were exchanged without a problem.

As for the whole batch being bad, I think that's unlikely. For one thing, depending on how many are being made, they may not all have been made at the same plant. You can also bet that if Warners starts getting an unusual number of defective discs being returned they'll look into it. I also think somebody at TCM will read this and will pass the word down the line. I know it's frustrating, but you really need to start with deepdiscount.

Your examples are incorrect, since essentially all manufactured items come with a warranty from the manufacturer and can be returned to that company for replacement, instead of returning to the retailer. This is especially important if the retailer has an All Sales Final policy, which ironically is sometimes imposed on them by manufacturers. (Companies like HP and IBM used to forbid their retailers from accepting returns on certain products, demanding instead that all returns go through the manufacturer.)

But nevertheless, I will take your suggestion and try DeepDiscountDvd first. If their replacement has the same problem, I will then escalate.

By the way, another reason for returning to the manufacturer is if the retailer can't or won't give a replacement, only a refund. If I have snagged an amazingly good deal on a product, I don't want my money back, I want a replacement product that works.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

You're correct that most manufactured products do have a warranty, but the manufacturer can and usually does require the product to be return to the place of purchase. It's just simpler and usually quicker that way. Any reputable retailer will take a product back for exchange, if it's defective, because they'll just get a credit from the company they got it from. Deepdiscount is reputable and I assure you that you won't have a problem. Unless you request a refund or it turns out that, indeed, the whole batch is bad and they can't get any more, they will send you another copy.

As you point out, there are exceptions to manufacturer return policies, but usually these are for expensive electronic items, not for $20 DVD's. Further, most states have consumer laws that require stores to accept returns on defective products regardless of an "all sales final" policy.

Relax, return it, be a little patient and I'm sure you'll come out fine.