Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help - Ending for The Cheap Detective

mrsl

I posted this under General Discussions and 36 people read it but I guess none of them saw the ending. Did anyone here watch it last night (Saturday 11/18)?

I fell asleep during The Cheap Detective last night. I was so exhausted I tried to stay awake, but lost the fight. This was a funny movie. The twist on Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon was hilarious.

The funny thing is, although he was a comedic actor, I could see Peter Falk as a romantic character, he was good looking enough, and his eye is not noticeable in most cases.

Ann Margret, Eileen Brennan, and Louise Lasser were all great. Can someone run through it from when he got all the 'ladies' out of his room while his secretary (Stockard Channing) waited in the hall?

Thank you for your help.

Anne

Thank you for answering me. I can't believe out of almost 60 people who read both posts, you are the only one who responded. I called my local video store and they have the movie in their 99 cent rental bin, so I'll just run over there and get it sometime. Thanks again.

Anne

The Cheap Detective is best seen in its original widescreen (2.35-to-1 ratio), which I trust TCM preserved. Columbia issued it on DVD in both widescreen and full-screen versions. The full-screen version has turned up in a certain major retailer's $5.50 discount bin, although--if you look hard--sometimes you can spot a widescreen version.

I saw it on its original release in the theatres but that being almost (or over) thirty years ago, I cannot remember how it ends.

I remember laughing a great deal. It was released in the era of the detective spoofs, including "Murder by Death" (also written by Neil Simon and which I remember being funnier), also The Black Bird which was an updated homage of "The Maltese Falcon" starring George Segal as Sam Spade, Jr and Lee Patrick reprising her role as Effie.