Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid?

bobhopefan1940

What about this film? I caught the ending credits, where they were displaying the portraits of the classic film stars. I had no idea what this movie was about, but after hearing Osbourne speak a little bit about it... I was sad I missed out. Did I really miss something worth watching, and should I keep an eye out for it in the furture?

Thanks,

bhf1940

It's a clever little film. It's not great and I think it runs out of steam a little at the end. The interweaving of Martin and the old films is really well done. I think they do a pretty good job poking fun at "noirs."

I think you'd be pleased to see. It may not become a favorite but I think you can appreciate it as the spoof it is.

> What about this film? I caught the ending credits,

> where they were displaying the portraits of the

> classic film stars. I had no idea what this movie was

> about, but after hearing Osbourne speak a little bit

> about it... I was sad I missed out. Did I really miss

> something worth watching, and should I keep an eye

> out for it in the furture?

>

> Thanks,

>

> bhf1940

Don't bother I think it tried too hard and it missed the mark by a mile. "Pennies from Heaven" was better and so was Sgt. Bilko and The Pink Panther. ( And you know how bad they were)

Message was edited by:

Bartlett

I agree that it was a clever little film, but it had some silly stuff in it that was too silly for me.

The editing was outstanding and the matching of the old clothes in the original films with the new clothes of what looked like the same kind in the modern parts is quite good. Also, matching the hair styles, the sets, the lighting, and the stand-ins is very good.

I remember that one of the past showings of "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" occured during a salute to Edith Head. I believe it may have been her last film project before her death. The technical aspects and attention to detail in the film is astounding. (Right On, FredCDobbs.)

But if you have an aversion to early Steve Martin ("Wild and Crazy Guy" Martin), you might not be able to make it through the film. If it was made a few years later - after Pennies From Heaven or L.A. Story - it may have been a more palatable experience if not a better film.

At the very least, you can always play "Guess The Clip" during the film.

Kyle In Hollywood

I really enjoyed this film. Both before I really got interested in 'classic movies' and after. (even more so) I was so proud of myself when I could say I've seen all of the noir movies that he chose to use.

I've always enjoyed Steve Martin both as comic and as a writer. Comedy or novels. I especially enjoyed "Shop Girl." I feel he has been underated as an entertainer.

I've always liked this one. It did come out after "Pennies from Heaven." I think it was Martin's first film after "Pennies," which I've always loved.

It is a fun movie, and while parts of it get a little silly, I think it treats the noir classics with respect. I liked the way that the movie also dug into a rare noir "The Bribe," which had Charles Laughton and Vincent Price. I was lucky enough to catch that a few weeks after I saw "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" in theaters, believe it or not. It isn't that great a movie, and the best parts of it are in "Dead Men."

Maybe it would be a good double feature to have "What's Up Tiger Lily?" with "Dead men Don't Wear Plaid"?

I just saw Shop Girl last night (early morning) and kind of liked it. Martin is a good narrator, but Something about Claire Danes didn't fit. I can't put my finger on it, but that Jason Schwartz... makes me nuts with his long greasy hair hanging in his eyes all the time. I'd feel like I needed a bath after sitting next to him on the bus. But then, I totally dislike this 'new scruffy' look. It only means guys are too lazy to shave every day. Poor things. Actually, I like Martin in drama better than comedy, or a combination like Parenthood or that one with the little girls he finds dumped in his front yard.

Anne

It's a clever little film. It's not great and I think it runs out of steam a little at the end. The interweaving of Martin and the old films is really well done. I think they do a pretty good job poking fun at "noirs."

I think you'd be pleased to see. It may not become a favorite but I think you can appreciate it as the spoof it is.

It's like Woody Allen's ZELIG: a cute, one-joke idea whose joke begins to wear rather thin after about a half-hour.

DEAD MEN is only held together by Carl Reiner's decision to have Mikl?s R?zsa write the score in the same dramatic vein (Reiner insisted wisely that R?zsa not write a "comedy score," but play it perfectly straight) as did all the Films Noirs he scored in the 1940s (many of whose clips Reiner integrated into the film's narrative).

An interesting note:

While Universal acquired the rights to the film clips from other studios, those clips did not come with music-re-use rights, which would've been hugely expensive as it entails making 100% residual payments to all the musicians (or their estates) who performed in the original films' recording sessions. As a consequence, R?zsa was confronted with the not inconsiderable problem of writing music over the original music (which included the work or Max Steiner, Adolph Deutsch, Roy Webb and others) if it was a scene in which the original composite soundtrack had to be used to preserve the actors' dialogue.