Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Noooo-o-o-o-o-o!!!

otterhere

I hate it. Hate it, hate it, hate it. I am not a purist. Not even a little bit. I like recent movies as much as the next Jane, and have never once gotten my shorts in a knot over what movies TCM has or has not shown. But this ... preposterous!!! :(

Message was edited by: Pintorini, to clarify that because she hates Steve Martin in general, her view may be somewhat less than entirely objective.

Normally I only use the letters but in this case, they are not sufficient!

OH, MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shame on you TCM. How can you dishonor a true classic movie on your station with this piece of trash. There is no excuse you can give to validate this. I thought TCM Underground was bad, but with this, I feel betrayed. You guys must be in GWB's pocket. What's next?

Game on...Jack. I've been watching so many old videos, and $1.00 DVD's lately during primetime, but this (in the vernacular of today), sucks!!!

Anne

Sorry if this is irritating to you, LZ, or if it seems to be rehashing old ground. To me, however, the very idea of a 1991 Steve Martin film coming within a mile of TCM is brand new (and frightening) territory. Not frightening because of what it might "mean" about TCM or its future. Not frightening due to any larger philosophical issues concerning whether newer movies should or shouldn't be played on TCM. And certainly not frightening due to any general dislike on my part for youth culture. Dude, I'm only 32!!! :)

No ... to me, the idea is just frightening in and of itself. I would be less upset if TCM showed a 2006 film of higher quality. Say, Strawberry Shortcake, World of Friends, or Beer: The Movie. Or why not that instant classic Phyllis Diller On Location?

But heck, it's their money, their decision. I personally can't understand the appeal of Steve Martin, to the point where I'd probably leave any building he walked in. But, hey ... millions of peeps disagree with me. Disagree with me to the point where Steve Martin is richer than me plus the richest 20 people I know, combined. So, that ought to tell you something about the value of this girl's opinion.

Crawling back under my particular rock now.

Pintorni,

I'm not trying to stifle the talk about the films that TCM is running. I just think it may be time for this subject to have its own forum.

All too often, this subject matter turns the thread into naming calling and worse. It's similar to what happened to the Rant thread in Hot Topics.

This subject is a perennial around here and it often turns into a lightning rod for both camps. People are very vocal about which camp they are in and that, more often than not, ultimately devolves into name calling and then the whole board suffers as the thread spins out of control and then dies only to be revived the following week and the whole cycle starts over.

That's why I think maybe if it had its own forum it wouldn't spin out of control as much.

Just my two cents.

"lol, y'all are upset about 'Father of the Bride'?"

Not me; I'm not upset about it. I just don't think it's classic. If they show the Martin Father of the Bride or a Ritz Brothers movie, it has the same result: I'll do something else with the time -- uncomplainingly. There's a whole world out there!

I think of TCM as the host and I'm the guest. They get to show what they want; I get to decide if I want to watch or not. It's simple. So you go, TCM. Show Father of the Bride. I'll go out and see For Your Consideration that night.

I think any subject can be discussed civilly OR any subject can degenerate into trash talk... It's not the subject, it's the participants... I'm as sickened by this trend (to new and, IMO, unworthy movies) as anyone on here, but I can hold a mature conversation about it. I think we need to be as VOCAL as possible about our displeasure, however, and not be relegated to some segregated and obscure forum in the nether regions (to be largely ignored by those who disagree or, worse, the powers that be); what would it be called: "The Old Curmudgeon's Corner"???

Otter,

There's no reason why the forum would have to be regulated to the bottom of the pile.

We could ask that it be on the top section with the other main forums.

And for the record, I agree with you, it's not the subject, it's the participants that spin the thread out of control.

The subject is one that merits talking about and perhaps it could be done more maturely and civily if it had it's own forum where participants would be more inclined to do so.

I fail to see the necessity for that (nor why you'd particularly request it), but W...

As for the "if you don't like it, you can turn it off" argument, that one has gotten us all the way to the point (now) where there are roughly three stations worth even turning on in the first place: PBS, TCM, and the weather (although even TWC is getting a bit silly with the male/female co-anchors posing like models in the wind machine???). I didn't buy a TV and VCR in order to have to flee to the theatre.

Perhaps a separate forum, too, for those who like "progress" (e.g. FOTB remake)?

Understood, and agreed. Given history (most of which I probably don't know about because I'm too new) I can see why some might legitimately feel that certain discussions--i.e., those that will tend to devolve into a non-productive "newer movies are good," "no, they're bad," "no, they're good," arguments--should be contained somewhere so that the people who care can debate that point ad nauseam, outside everyone else's hearing.

To me, though, there are really only two kinds of movies: good ones and bad ones. While TCM shows plenty of bad old movies, that choice is easy to defend. Every classic movie star did some bad ones, and their fans are likely curious about them. Also, we learn about history and culture even from bad movies, when they are from a distant time. I don't see any point to showing a bad newer movie, though. Not on TCM, and not really on any other station, either.

(Would love to take another oppty to blast Steve Martin here but have already pushed it, I think. No offense to his fans, really ... Just one girl's taste.)

No - No - No.

I'm not trying to re-hash, I used the past tense in mentioning TCMU didn't I? I have grown accustomed to watching other channels, so my gripe was not an attempt to discuss changes, or programming in general at all!!!

I said "dishonor a true classic movie", which is the original Spencer Tracey version. I don't care if they show Spaceballs, or Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, it is evident they are showing 'classics' for the 30-40-50 year olds. I understand they have to move along as we all do. These are the classics of tomorrow, and as the viewership changes, so must the movies. Actually, after all my complaints, TCM has treated us quite fairly, we retirees still get our Golden Age movies most days, and primetime is left to the working stiffs of the age groups I mentioned. They are at work while we enjoy our oldies, and when they are home at night, the can enjoy their oldies.

My objection is this particular movie. Tracey's version is as good and timely as ever. The Steve Martin version is an embarrassing 'thing' that makes a mockery of being the father of the bride. The bit about the checkbook, the dogs, the falling off the railing, all mockery. The same goes for 'Yours, Mine and Ours' and 'Cheaper by the Dozen'. The originals are in color, great stars, timely, and also as appealing as ever. Besides all of that, a 1991 movie is still just a little new to be shown on the classic movie channel. The Liz Taylor Cleopatra is already over 40-some years old, therefore it rates classic status.

Again, I'm not re-hashing, but a line should be drawn somewhere, such as maybe a concentration on 1960-1975 releases, then at least you're talking 30-45 years old. I saw Martins' Father of the Bride on HBO just during the summer. So, I don't think it's asking too much for a classic station to play classic movies.

Anne

I don't like to argue about things... So if things get too heated I just leave the thread. I wish it were sometimes more civil on here and people would concentrate more on giving recognition to films, but I also don't have to visit a thread either. I like the idea that everyone can talk about what they please, though sometimes I know it is not always done in the most mature of fashions. Can't we all just get along? :)

Myself, I like talking about the "bad" films TCM plays... I guess in hopes they will take notice of the jabbering that goes on in here and maybe try to give us a little more of what we want. Not that I don't thoroughly enjoy seeing Spaceballs on the evening programming... :P I'll never let that one die! :)

"To me, though, there are really only two kinds of movies: good ones and bad ones."

I always thought there were four kinds of movies. 1) Good; 2) bad; 3) enjoyable; 4) not enjoyable. There are plenty of "good" movies that I don't like; and plenty of "bad" movies that I love.

examples:

Father of the Bride = Bad movie, don't like it.

Valley of the Dolls = Bad movie, like it.

To Kill a Mockingbird = Good movie, like it.

Goodfellas = Good movie, don't like it.

> Well, we managed to go almost a week without

> rehashing this subject.

>

> I'm starting to think this subject needs its own

> forum since we have been debating this topic every

> week for almost a year now.

That would be called a clue. Many of us think of TCM as a classic movie station, but when these movies are part of the regular repertoire it is frustrating. I know, TCM is not just the classic movie channel anymore it shows all movies now - but I don't have to be happy about that.

How does my favorite quote go again (although I don't think it's from a movie)?

"All that is necessary for the progression of evil is for good men to do nothing."

In the case of pop culture, replace "evil" with "bad taste" and you've got modern America...

> I think of TCM as the host and I'm the guest. They

> get to show what they want; I get to decide if I want

> to watch or not. It's simple.

I don't usually disagree with you, Jack ... BUT ... I don't think it's quite that simple. While I wouldn't eat dinner over at my homey's hizzouse and then complain about his cookin', I do think TCM might want to hear me complain if I think what they are showing is cr@p. (Though maybe this isn't quite the right place ...)

I mean, really. Who watches TCM? Older folks, and young metrosexuals like moi. C'est vrai? And, c'mon ... does either audience really want to watch an actor who built his career around **** jokes? Oh, man. I am REALLY gonna get it if any Steve Martin fans are reading!!!

Maybe this is what LZ means when she says people can't discuss these kinds of issues maturely. I guess I'm really not very good at being mature when I discuss my disdain for certain--very discrete and small--elements of American pop culture. (*sighs*)