Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Deception Acceptance

CaveGirl

"Hail the Conquering Hero" as directed by Preston Sturges is a film about deception and its reception by the public, and in this case the American public. This film is also a biting satire delineating ideals about patriotism, hero worship of the military, politicians, the gullibility of the public and even mother love. Starring many of the Sturges travelling road company like Eddie Bracken, Raymond Walburn, and William Demarest among others, the story of Woodrow Lafayette Pershing Truesmith details why a man who is rejected by the Marines for chronic hay fever comes to be a hero in spite of these limitations.

When Woodrow meets up with his father's former military buddy, as played by Demarest a deception and fraud follows that begins a chain of events that include the house mortgage to be handled, a statue of Woody and paterfamilias to be erected and Woodrow to be nominated for mayor of the town. The fact that the sharp and biting wit of Preston Sturges was willing to take on such giants of sentiment and satirize them, shows what a relentless observer of mankind he was. Being that he had changed his own real name from Edmond Biden, perhaps the idea of changing identities was appealing to him also.

The fact that the societal norms purveyed here have not changed much in the years since it was produced in 1944 tell a lot about the American public's ability to forgive any story or fraud or crime, if the story and tale behind it are exciting or interesting enough. That ostensibly is the real story here in all its raw and fetid truth. The public's need to see the good in a crook, the honor in a liar and brains in a fool, are still extant in our current society.

Deception in movies or in real life is often applauded and is a thematic constant in both. Name other movies which showcase such qualities and where the perpetrators are rewarded.

• Like 1

Very nice write-up here, CG.

And in answer to your question, how about 2002's CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.

Gotta admit Spielberg makes the protagonist(DiCaprio) in this one more a cult hero who's eventually admired for his gall at deceptions, than he does just a felon to be dismissed, wouldn't ya say?!  

The fact that the societal norms purveyed here have not changed much in the years since it was produced in 1944 tell a lot about the American public's ability to forgive any story or fraud or crime, if the story and tale behind it are exciting or interesting enough. That ostensibly is the real story here in all its raw and fetid truth. The public's need to see the good in a crook, the honor in a liar and brains in a fool, are still extant in our current society.

And...would I be correct in any theories about what inspiration struck you to post that today?

(Yeah, I'm not demanding Bernie Sanders' "traitorous" head on a plate for "betraying" his voters either.  There's just too much at stake not to team up.)

And...would I be correct in any theories about what inspiration struck you to post that today?

(Yeah, I'm not demanding Bernie Sanders' "traitorous" head on a plate for "betraying" his voters either.  There's just too much at stake not to team up.)

Hey Eric! Whaddaya tryin' to do here...get this thread moved by our illustrious moderator corps to another particular forum or somethin'?!  ;)

(...although yeah, couldn't agree more with ya here)

• Like 1

Very nice write-up here, CG.

And in answer to your question, how about 2002's CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.

Gotta admit Spielberg makes the protagonist(DiCaprio) in this one more a cult hero who's eventually admired for his gall at deceptions, than he does just a felon to be dismissed, wouldn't ya say?!  

Good one, Dargo!

I enjoyed that movie immensely for the reasons you noted. Thanks.

Hmmm, Eric?

Do you think I was subliminally affected by current events.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings