Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nite Owl Benchley Fans

CaveGirl

I'm sure you would not want to miss one of the Algonquin's most illustrious diners in a short on movie viewing, which is on the late TCM schedule for Monday at 5:49am or the early TCM schedule for Tuesday at the same 5:49am time slot.

It also stars the well named King Baggot!

You can thank me some other time:

5:49 AM NIGHT AT THE MOVIES, A (1937)  

In this comedic short, a man and wife suffer through a night together at the movies.

DirRoy Rowland Cast:  Robert Benchley , King Baggot , Flora Finch .

BW-10 mins,

• Like 2

They probably are not showing these, but among my favorites are...

How To Be A Detective (1936), which might have inspired the later Goofy cartoon

An Hour For Lunch (1939), which is timeless since we are still trying to micro-manage more time these days and expecting everything fast

Home Movies (1940), which probably inspired episodes of I Love Lucy and The Flintstones respectively with our little hero boring the guests with his lousy cinematic skills

They probably are not showing these, but among my favorites are...

How To Be A Detective (1936), which might have inspired the later Goofy cartoon

An Hour For Lunch (1939), which is timeless since we are still trying to micro-manage more time these days and expecting everything fast

Home Movies (1940), which probably inspired episodes of I Love Lucy and The Flintstones respectively with our little hero boring the guests with his lousy cinematic skills

Those are winners too, Jlewis!

One of my favorites is so obvious, but it is "How to Sleep". Who else but Benchley would think of such a thing.

I always remember the story about him visiting Dorothy Parker after a suicide attempt when she tried to slit her wrists I think and he supposedly said "Dorothy, you really need to stop doing things like this as you might hurt yourself."

Thanks for your additions.

• Like 1

Benchley is one of my favourites...I enjoy his shorts and I enjoy all the roles he has in films...in my mind he was underused...he was great in FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT and his droll wit comes through in his shorts.  Oh my goodness, what a life; in the movies with Hitchcock and Ginger Rogers and lunch with Harpo Marx, Alexander Woolcott, Charles McArthur and Dorothy Parker.  That's a group I could listen to any time...

Benchley is one of my favourites...I enjoy his shorts and I enjoy all the roles he has in films...in my mind he was underused...he was great in FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT and his droll wit comes through in his shorts.  Oh my goodness, what a life; in the movies with Hitchcock and Ginger Rogers and lunch with Harpo Marx, Alexander Woolcott, Charles McArthur and Dorothy Parker.  That's a group I could listen to any time...

Also in Weekend At The Waldorf as the nosy reporter with a pregnant pooch who drops in for a weekend at the busy Waldorf hotel, and serves as the narrator between scenes.  But that is solidly a Walter Pidgeon, Ginger Rogers, Van Johnson, and Lana Turner movie (and I would say in that order).  Has to be Pidgeon's best from that timespan.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings