Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

mrsl

Since my three close 'darlings' are going to be with their dad for Christmas, my son can't make it home from L.A. and my other son always spends Christmas at my daughter-in-laws family. Dad doesn't know one day from another anymore, and my sister and brother are taking him to my sister-in-laws family gathering. So it's just me and my daughter, unless she does what I suggested and goes to her dad's. So I want to hear some funny, family remembrances to re-read on Christmas Day, in between my taped holiday movies.

We always went to the Italian Grandpas' house after opening our gifts in the A.M. with Dad having 5 brothers and sisters, there were always loads of cousins to play with. Besides the presents, believe it or not, two uncles used to at one point, literally toss handfuls of pennies and nickels out which we all scrambled to find. At that time, penny candy was sold everywhere, so it was a real treat to crawl around and find as many as possible. Gramma had died when I was three so my maiden aunt (the hostess) started baking around Halloween. Oh those Italian pastries, all filled with creamy cheese or dripping with honey, she also had a gingerbread man for each cousin with their names, and all kinds of pies and cakes. After two years of Christmas and Birthday praying and begging, I finally got a Toni doll when I was ten (Ralphie had nothing on me that year, no rifle could compare to that doll!). You could give her a real permanent, she came with the curlers and wave lotion. Talk about cherish!

So that's me. . . how about you?

Anne

I just realized, Heres my official HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL.

Message was edited by:

mrsl

Happy Thanksgiving, mrsl!

I was thrilled to find this video and then somewhat ambivalent to the different footage used with my favorite movie performance of a Christmas song...and then I thought about the lyrics...

"Here we are as in olden days..." "Through the years we all will be together if the fates allow..."

...and realized-A beautiful voice remains a beautiful voice...and some things never change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOLadfOlVwU

Peace On Earth

Ben

How great is that with the soldiers decorating the tree? Yeah, time marches on, most of my family is gone, my sister never married, so no nieces or nephews, and my brother had three but all adults now, no kids. Losing my daughter, my son in L.A. and the other living halfway across Illinois makes for pretty solitary holidays, but the good thing is we talk all the time on the phone, and e-mails, so its not lonely, just different.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours too.

Anne

. I meant happy, not just funny, sorry about that!

P.S

Message was edited by:

mrsl

Funny memories? Happy ones, yes, but funny I will have to think about. I remember one year mom and my stepdad played a game where they put a different little gift in each of the kid's (3 of us) stockings each night during the week before Christmas. My brother was about 6. The disgruntled look on his face when he found a clip-on bow tie in his stocking one morning was really priceless. But I can't do it justice with words. :D