Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
otterhere

"The Shop Around the Corner"

Never pictured myself as the "romantic comedy" type, but love this movie (was just on again)... Jimmy Stewart can do funny, as can whoever that girl was???

That would be Margaret Sullavan. She and Stewart made a film together a couple of years before called "Next Time We Love." She had a short marriage to Henry Fonda. She commited suicide in 1960. Had one of the great voices in movies. For more info check imdb.com.

You should try and be the "romantic comedy" type there is plenty to look forward to.

> I love that movie. I don't know if this is true but

> someone told me that "You got Mail" is a remake of

> "The Shop Around the Corner".

It is !

"The Shop Around The Corner" was a off shoot of the movie that Judy Garland and Van Johnson made called "In The Good Ole' Summer Time" for whatever it might be worth. Made in 1949. I have both...but thot you mite be interested in the fact of them both are pretty much the same

Scotty

tiggerswr@alltel.net

Actually, The Shop Around the Corner starring James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan was released in 1940, so In the Good Old Summertime with Judy Garland is a musical remake of "Shop", not the other way around.

Incidentally, there was also a Broadway musical from the 1960's with the same plot and characters as The Shop Around the Corner called She Loves Me. It was revived in the 1990's. It has a lovely score.

Sandy K

I love shop around the corner. My favorite version is In the Good Old Summertime. I just love all the musical bits...and van johnson...woot! swoon! drool! whistle!...anyways, no offense to jimmy or anything. I mean, I'd gladly do the same for him, but I think I'm a very musical person....even though nobody can every out do jimmy. He's the best actor who ever acted...that's part of my opinion...I mean Humphry and Gene and...well, that's a whole other thread right there, but all I really wanted to say was I love all these movies...except you've got Mail...I really don't like that movie very much.

some Tom Hanks movies really annoy me, and You've Got Mail is one of them.

but Meg Ryan is total hotness in it...

:)

Yeah, she's not a bad actress. I never really watch very many movies with her in it, but I really enjoyed When Harry Met Sally. I thought that was a pretty good entertaining movie, but other than that not so much.

[nobr]Uh-hem...[/nobr]

[nobr]I thoroughly enjoy all three versions of this movie, everyone of them holds something special.[/nobr]

[nobr]The Shop Around The Corner was the first classic I ever watched, so it holds a special meaning for me. I loved Frank Morgan as the shopkeeper and Stewart was really charming. I'm not a big fan of him all the time, but here he was perfect. The meeting scene where he walks in instead of her supposed pin pal? Still my favorite version in this one.[/nobr]

[nobr]the-shop-around-the-corner.gif[/nobr]

[nobr]In The Good Old Summertime is my favorite version, too. I love Van (hot!) and always have enjoyed seeing Judy in anything. I loved the change in plot with the shop being a music shop. The scene where Judy sings and Van has to play the piano... Where he keeps wanting to speed the tempo up? Makes me laugh! Really, I also enjoyed seeing "Cuddles" and LOVED seeing Buster Keaton in this. The song is incredibly catchy, and the whole movie just has this "happiness" feel to it. When I first saw it, I didn't really notice Van that much, but by the time the scene came near the end of the film... Where he finally gives up on trying to win her over? I fell in love with him from there on.[/nobr]

[nobr]p

[nobr]The latest version... You've Got Mail. I LOVE this version as well. It got me interested in classics and I hold it responsible for my loving these films today. Really, it may not be for everyone. But if you have never seen classics before, this flick has a feel to it. One that really keeps the atmosphere of a classic, just really struck a chord with me and made dig deeper into its history. It really is just a lovely look at streets and places in New York.[/nobr]

[nobr]keep.jpg[/nobr]

[nobr]I would love for anyone to give all three a fair shake, their all worthy of a good mention.[/nobr]

[nobr]bhf1940[/nobr]

I love the film too but I never could reconcile it being set in Prague. I always wondered why they didn't reset it in some American city. You can't get much more American than Stewart so Prague seems a bit of a stretch. Great story, though.

I always liked Sullavan's voice.

Chris

Shop Around the Corner was set in Prague?....I never knew that...interesting.

I'm sorry I don't like you've got mail bhf, but I just didn't think it had as good a background as the other two. I mean, at the end of you've got mail, tom never helped give meg back here mother's book store....now if he really loved her, he would have helped her get back her mother's precious store don't you think? I mean, it means so much to her...it's her mother's store! Her mother's dead!....and that's her store!...he should give it back! HE'S BEING MEAN!.....I would never fall in love with someone who ran my mother's book shop out of buisness.....I love my mother...and her books.

I don't really believe in love anymore....it's quite sad actually...there's no bonds of love, now there's only bonds by the law...it means nothing sacred to more than 3/4 the population....I weep for the future...maybe I'll open my own music shop so then van Johnson will come waltzing through the doors and then I shall believe in not only love myfriends, but miracles! (and we shall make beautiful music together!) lol

I really like the story, although I am not a fan of YOU'VE GOT MAIL. I love the Broadway musical, SHE LOVES ME, which is an original musical verison of the story. It was meant to be a film with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke, but MGM cancelled it (and paid Julie a cool million to break the contract), when they decided to forego making anymore musicals.

"The Shop Around the Corner" is a wonderful film.

For Sullavan fans don't miss "Three Comrades" (1938) showing 3/6.

I LOVE "you've got mail", it's one of my all time favorites. I also love "shop around the corner", but i would rather watch you've got mail. margaret sullavan completely ruins shop around the corner for me. i cannot watch ANY of her movies without being in constant pain. No offense to all the sullavan fans out there! i find nothing appealing about her, and i really don't think she can act. Anyhow "shop around the corner" is a wonderful classic, even though the prauge setting really didn't make sense. If you can stand margaret sullavan, this movie is the best!

-respecttheclassics

RESURRECTION OF THREAD!!!

Respect the movie classics:

You don't say why Sullavan turns you off unless its just a thing about her, but I can tell you this much - her voice drives me nuts. i've said this before, but it's like that lady who couldn't stand Mary Hart's voice on Entertainment tonight or whatever it was.

Considering that 'Summertime' was a musical, and only the basic story of the secret letters was the only constant, I'm eliminating it. Don't you think that both 'Shop' and 'Mail' enhanced the story well? 'Shop' had so many other things going on, with the apparent 'affair' between the Petrovitch (or whatever his name was) and Mrs. Matushek, and the unknown story of Rudy until the end, etc. It was dumb to set it in Europe though it could just as easily happened in NY, Boston, or Chicago. On the other hand, 'Mail' has the two ex-live-ins possibly getting together, and the attraction of some great supporting cast members.

BTW, in the Judy/Van version, I always thought Van had a lot of nerve to lend the violin to his friend.

Anne

I think that the Budapest setting was because that is where the original story that the film was taken from was set.

I like the Hungarian setting. It adds to the charm of the film. I can't really imagine a parfumerie or a cafe in America like the ones in the film.

Sandy K