Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robert Altman Tribute?

ABSteel

Hi.

New member here.

Will there be a Robert Altman tribute coming up in the next few days?

Does one know how I can contact someone with TCM (since I'm sure no one from the actual company reads these things) regarding this question?

I'd love to watch a few of my favorite Altman films back-to-back.

Thanks.

I absolutely would love to see a Robert Altman tribute!!!

I've unfortunately not been around long enough to know what the TCM policy is regarding tributes to recently deceased actors and directors. I remember they made last-minute changes to make a Glenn Ford tribute, a few months back. On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be any Jack Palance tribute....

At any rate, if they *do* go ahead with a Robert Altman tribute, I would definitely hope they'd include "BREWSTER MCCLOUD" as it is out-of-print on all video formats and has never been available on DVD. Not only that, it's one of his most unique movies.

ABSteel -

Welcome to another new member. Glad to have ya around.

First, the folks in the programming dept do read these boards often and quite regularly. (At the forum home page, type 'tcmprogrammr' (no "e") in the search field and you will be given a long list of threads with posts from the head of the programming dept.) The person(s) responsible for programming the shorts between feature films posts upcoming one, two and three-reelers in the "shorts" genre thread also accessible from the Forum home page.

As to an Altman salute on TCM in the next few days, I wouldn't bet on it. From my memory of the recent past (two or three years) on TCM, Nashville is the only film that comes to mind as being licensed to the channel right now. I bet most of his films are consistently licensed to various cable channels in any given year. Fox Movie Channel keeps a tight rein on M*A*S*H*. I think IFC has McCabe and Mrs. Miller right now. And it is anyone's guess who might have The Player or Short Cuts this week or month. It may be difficult to acquire films for a tribute if the films are already licensed to a different channel - especially at the "last minute".

TCM has shown Brewster McCloud but it was many years ago. And I recently saw a 1998 TCM schedule that included The Player during the annual 31 Days Of Oscar event but it hasn't been seen on TCM recently.

If there is to be a change to the announced schedule to honor Robert Altman, check the home page over the next few days. There will be an announcement posted there and a link to a press release with all the details.

Cross your fingers...but I wouldn't hold my breath. Sorry.

Kyle In Hollywood

I did not realize "Brewster McCloud" was out-ot-print...I'm glad I have a VHS copy. It is a unique and wonderful movie-from the opening credits to the closing credits...and it can be seen on You Tube!! (It's posted in 10 parts.) Be sure to check out the license plates on the cars...

I think TCM's main consideration, in doing a tribute, is whether they have enough films with that star or director to do a one. Also, it sometimes takes a couple of weeks to scheule it. I also imagine since they will pre-empt some other films for a tribute, they try and find a day that will result in the least complaints.

If they do an Altman tribute, I hope they can include "Thieves Like Us." It is one of my favorite Altman films. It is an extremely well-done, de-glamorized re-imagining of the Bonnie and Clyde type of film that avoids the cliches of that subgenre but still meets viewer expectations. (As opposed to "The Long Goodbye," which to me, always seemed rather mean spirited about frustrating the pleasures of the private eye film.)

I remember hearing that when Altman was filming "Prairie Home Companion," the Anderson who directed "Boogie Nights" was on hand as an insurance measure, but still I was shocked to hear that Altman had died.

I read about Paul Thomas Anderson being his "stand in" on "PHC." That must have been a thrill for him...I've always felt he was heavily influenced by Altman-especially in "Punch Drunk Love."

I would love to see "Thieves Like Us" also...and "Images."

Don't forget that Altman directed a lot of episodes of TV series...including several for "Bonanza."

All those crossed fingers paid off everyone.

TCM will remember Robert Altman on Sat./Sun. December 9th / 10th (Depending on timezone) with showings of Nashville and -drumroll - Brewster McCloud!

Here's the website article with the details and a profile -

http://www.tcm.com/movienews/index/?cid=151308

I am thrilled for all the "McCloud" fans. Hope you all can record this out-of-print treasure for your collections.

Kyle In Hollywood

First, I will say YAY!!! and BRAVO they will be showing BREWSTER MCCLOUD. But BOOOOS must be expressed also. Two films??!! TWO??!! Where is his whole day like so many get? Or at least half a day. There are so many films to chose from and to show. Again, I reiterate bravo for showing BREWSTER MCCLOUD. But how about 3 WOMEN? COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME JIMMY DEAN, JIMMY DEAN? We need a lil more Altman love than 2 films. PLEASE TCM. :)

Cine,

Many of Altman's films were done at 20th Century Fox, who has their own movie channel.

TCM is able to lease some films from Fox from time to time but not, it seems, as many as they can lease from other studios who don't have a movie channel.

Fox Movie Channel may be running a tribute to Altman as well. Has anyone checked?

As for Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean, there may be a rights issue with that one. It's not available on dvd or vhs right now and it seems like forever since the last time I even heard of it playing some where.

Hey thanks, I did not realize that. I tend to disregard the legal and corporate issues when I discuss films. I think the last time i saw JIMMY DEAN JIMMY DEAN wa son a local station's Saturday afternoon movie, some 10 yrs ago. That is kind of why I was hoping TCM could show it. But thank you for the heads up. I will try not to let my heart go ahead of my head next time I rant. :$ Thank you :)