Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No Name on the Bullet

mrsl

I know this movie has been discussed before, but I used search and couldn't find it. I just watched it this afternoon and had to remark what a terrific character study this movie is. A man rides into town and immediately everyones' guilt rises to the surface.

It kind of reminds me of our little 'town' right here. A newcomer comes on and reads an argumentative exchange between two reasonably intelligent people going on and on for a full page. Or we have the guy who scrutinizes the newcomers posts until he finds a misspelled word, or grammatical error which he can call attention to, causing the newcomer to feel embarrassed, disgraced and/or unworthy. Then there is the one who uses $25.00 words in his posts, again making the reader either run for the Websters' or again feel unworthy. Finally we have the person who, when being disagreed with, instead of coming back with reasonable explanations of his original post, either giving facts and figures, or personal experiences, resorts to getting angry and responding with mean accusations.

For any group of 100 people, you will have 100 opinions, some are made with top of the line, informative statements, others hem and haw due to lesser educations, poor eyesight, or simply age and the restrictions that come with it. In any case, whatever the reason, all opinions are valid, and welcome to the remaining 97 or 98. Hopefully, with the holiays coming, and the new year, these petty problem-seekers will change their ways, and join the rest of us in friendly, non-combative debate.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!! :)

Anne

Message was edited by:someone who can't believe she made a typing error that was so blatant and didn't see it in the re-read before posting.

mrsl

Message was edited by:

mrsl

Anne, very well said, I totally agree. The one who corrects spelling mistakes has been **** me off for a very long time - if I knew half as much as he THINKS he knows, I'd be very brilliant, instead of just a lowly university graduate who sometimes makes a typo.

I used to come to these boards often. Now, I lurk occasionally but hardly ever post. The arguing and other crud that has been going on here in the last six months just sickens me. We all used to be such good friends, who occasionally had differences of opinion. Now, it seems some just look for reasons to argue. Oh, the old-timers to this board don't often get into them, but even they seem to be posting a lot less. Why can't everyone just grow up or find somewhere else to argue. I think some of these people enjoy an argument much more than they enjoy classic movies.

Scarlett

You make a good point in your statement but I have to I have to disagree but there is something I have to disagree with the statement you commented about people with lesser education .My point is that my husband had drop out of school when he was 16 because of his home life . but This man had work doing heating and Refridegeration he knew nothing about it but he learned by reading books every night when he got home from work everyday also he knows a lot about computers by reading and learning he had taught himself.I have to admire him for what he has accomplished for the little education that he had. He is very intelligent man. I had worked with a girl who made a comment about that her and this other person someone we worked with saying that she and someone else had more education between them than a high school drop out or someone with a high school graduate.So that makes me smarter than her she said to me. I had to say to her I was just High School Graduate.Her mouth just dropped. I'm not being rude I just had to respond to your thread because i always thought what you have said on your threads are on the mark but this one I have to disagree about lesser educations that it is not always true. I like I said I enjoy reading your threads.

Christine

Oh my, drdoolittle. Unless I am very much mistaken, I don't think Anne said that!

She was referring to CineSage and a very few others, whose sole purpose on this board used to be (he's not so bad nowadays) correcting the spelling of other posters. It was disgusting.

drdoolittle, some of THE brightest people never graduated high school. My cousin's husband runs the entire electrical and heating and refrigeration works at a small company, and his high school almost didn't give him a diploma because he spent too much time in the cafteria, BS'ing. Meanwhile, he is a voracious reader and naturally intelligent.

Alternatively, George W. graduated Yale. Enough said.

Or did I misunderstand you both?

dolores

Stoney:

You understood us both, and drdoolittle mis-understood me.

drdoolittle:

My mention of lesser education was a defense of people, not a criticism . I know colege educated people who don't know how to use a comma, and thousands of people don't know how to use an apostrophe. As a secretary who started in the days of dictation, it was my job to know these things. My second husband, like yours, never graduated high school, yet he was one of the most intelligent men I've ever met, he could hold his own with any politician, or bank president. He read books I never dared to try. His favorite gift from me was a 4 volume set of the works of Shakespeare. You couldn't pay me to read that!

In any case, as stoney said, I'd rather have a friend, or relative like my husband who respected, and was respected by everyone, rather a piece of work like Bush.

I am truly sorry for the mis-understanding, I like your posts, and the points you make are always on the mark.

Anne

Mrsl wrote:

Then there is the one who uses $25.00 words in his posts, again making the reader either run for the Websters' or again feel unworthy ...

Hmm ... now, that poster sounds like a real deadwood. Who is it???

Oh ... never mind. If I pontificate long enough, I am sure I shall learn to contradistinguish such bromidic pedants from the unostentatious proletariat. :)

Thank You Mrs. for clearing it up for me,I am also sorry that I had Misunderstood what you meant! I never like Shakespeare,I found his writing to be very boring.What do You think of Hemingway? He is a bore, had to read his books for english they put me to sleep.A book I actually liked and people I know thought I was crazy is War and Peace. I have always loved history both world and american!

Again Thank You Mrs. and Stoney.

Christine