Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ladymirabelle45

Paul Muni

Hi, Guys. I'm still on my mission to get TCM to show a tribute to Paul Muni. It doesn't have to be star of the month, just a day long tribute. He was the most incredable actors of his day. Some say he was a little over the top. But just think of James Dean, or Al Pacino. Muni, has won acolades from the theatre, to movies, to tv. TCM needs to show some of this great actors movies. And not just 1 every six months.

Thanks you Spencer for all your info and support.

Agreed, Paul Muni was a GREAT one! I've seen the following of his films on TCM in the past:

I Am A Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932) - on the Essentials

The Story of Louis Pasteur (1935) - fairly recently, I believe

The Good Earth (1937) - over acting all around;-)

Angel on My Shoulder (1946) - last month?

which are all pretty good, but what I'd really like to see hasn't been shown (to my knowledge):

Scarface (1932) - though I hope they'll show it someday

The Life of Emile Zola (1937) - this Best Picture winner will be on July 15!

To me pal (lady!) & to path40a, TCM does present what I personally rank as his finest film: "Scarface: The Shame of a Nation" (1932)-(NOTE: They were forced to put subtitle on & In those days the bad-guy always had to get his in the end?) You forgot, since TCM Is celebrating cinemas all-time greatest year 1939-(& It's true/It Is!!!)

But "Juarez"-(*Muni was top-billed, but John Garfield is terrific in a rare role & Claude Rains superb as usual! But Brian Aherne was it's only main OSCAR nod.) & a lil' trivia for my friend & other one's as well! *Muni's sole OSCAR win "Pasteur," was actually shot on such a miniscule budget, they even used sets at WB from other films!? It also won 2 Screenplay OSCARS! *Muni rec. his last A.M.P.A.S. nom. for his last movie? 1959's "Last Angry Man" His 5th nomination. & as most are aware *"The Great: Spencer Tracy" Is picked by such a massive majority of his peers as theee ultimate motion picture actor-(emphasis on M. Picture, *Olivier was master of the stage!) But *Rod Steiger would always single-out *Paul Muni as his hero/Idol-since childhood even. Because of his range of characterizations (P.S. & there is a *Muni film never on? His very 1st shot at Best Actor. "The Valiant"-(at then just Fox studios) But she has a pt. TCM you guys have given "Star of the Month," to waaay lower-talents, that 4-sure!) Especially considering what a "disaster," BOLLYWOOD was!!! I personally think & I hate to even think-it! TCM may be running out of ideas,etc & this "AOL squeeze play simultanously!"-Man, you guys likely lost quite a bit of viewers & therefore true cinema buffs/on-line as well.

Thanks you so much Spencer for the research and all the info on Paul Muni. He was an incredible actor, and so many people don't even know about him. Its been a long, long, time since TCM gave a tribute to this great actor. I hope they see this. Oh, by the way Spencer. I forgot to add Jimmy Stewart to my list. He's actually at the top of that list.