Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just Saw This Petition Concerning A Classic Film

hepclassic

Maybe put a few more details out there for people who don't blindly click links.

Thanks.

This petition is about the long-desired DVD release of To Each His Own (1946) starring Olivia de Havilland, a performance that won her her first Best Actress Oscar. 

Long-desired by whom?

It's just another version of the Madame X story. John Lund is as wooden as ever.

I agree with you that John Lund is wooden, but he's a wooden good-looker.

Yet, I don't really see that it's another Madame X story-- the nasty,virulent nature of the Madame X story doesn't enter into this sweet Olivia de Havilland movie.

BTW-- I've got a nice DVD of Madame X starring Lana Turner.

Yet, I don't really see that it's another Madame X story

De Havilland gives up her son, only to meet him when he's all grown up? And has to keep it a secret? Granted, she doesn't kill anybody.

Then again, I'm a man, which may color my thinking on the whole Madame X genre.

Maybe put a few more details out there for people who don't blindly click links.

Okay, here's some more information:  Petition sites are a JOKE.  

Maybe not to the people who make them, but say "PetitionOnline" to the right generation of people (or "Change.org" to the current one), and watch them roll on the floor in hysterics.

Go and see how many "Petitions" you find to demand that George Lucas bring back the unedited Star Wars Trilogy he's clearly been "hiding", and tell me how well that one worked out.

Fan petitions never actually forward their information unsolicited to the people in charge, mostly because they don't actually know the reason for their grievance.  They're just angry bloggers with a place for readers to put Likes, hoping that The World Is Watching, when it usually isn't.

Yes, I know we have an older demographic here who don't know what the Young Kids With Their Twitters and Cellphones are into, and are probably taking it seriously because they don't know any better, but....please don't.   It's not that I'm against To Each His Own, but of all the things that could get it out of whatever studio limbo it's in, I can guarantee the Internet won't be one of them.

(If fan-wonked petitions could make restored movies magically appear out of nowhere, we'd have a dozen Warner restorations I could name by now...)

De Havilland gives up her son, only to meet him when he's all grown up? And has to keep it a secret? Granted, she doesn't kill anybody.

Then again, I'm a man, which may color my thinking on the whole Madame X genre.

I think the film handles very difficult topics in a mature and intelligent way.    Remember the setting was a small town around 1917 or so.

Ok,  one does get the feeling along the way of 'what will happen to her next,,,,,  the kid needs a kidney transplant now???',   but overall I enjoy the film and Olivia gives a great performance portraying a women of various ages.

But as they say; to each his own.    ;)  

Sorry Fedya, but not even close. There are so many differences in plot points between TO EACH HIS OWN and MADAME X, and let alone the overall sordidness in tone present in the latter and not in the former, that they are completely different, save for the whole "kid doesn't know his biological mother" thing.

If anything, TEHO is more like STELLA DALLAS but with a happy ending and not a bittersweet one, than it is like MX.

And yeah, Lund was never the best of actors, but I always thought he did well in TEHO. Although, I probably feel this way because after every damn time I hear him deliver the final line in this picture, "I believe this is our dance, Mother", and then see the look on de Havilland's face, I'm bawlin' like a freakin' baby! 

(...yeah, THAT'S right...I'm just a big ol' softy at heart...but don't spread this around, okay?!) ;)

I can try to post the link again. TCM won't make it appear unless the site is un-blocked. You can also copy the link address and put it in a new tab.

Also, I would do it for Olivia de Havilland. I enjoyed the film the first time I saw it and think a DVD release would do it good, and Olivia did just turn a century, and I know its good for business to take advantage of these things on the classic movie market. 

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/954/241/461/release-to-each-his-own-1946-to-american-audiences-on-dvd/

Okay, here's some more information:  Petition sites are a JOKE.  

Maybe not to the people who make them, but say "PetitionOnline" to the right generation of people (or "Change.org" to the current one), and watch them roll on the floor in hysterics.

Go and see how many "Petitions" you find to demand that George Lucas bring back the unedited Star Wars Trilogy he's clearly been "hiding", and tell me how well that one worked out.

Fan petitions never actually forward their information unsolicited to the people in charge, mostly because they don't actually know the reason for their grievance.  They're just angry bloggers with a place for readers to put Likes, hoping that The World Is Watching, when it usually isn't.

Yes, I know we have an older demographic here who don't know what the Young Kids With Their Twitters and Cellphones are into, and are probably taking it seriously because they don't know any better, but....please don't.   It's not that I'm against To Each His Own, but of all the things that could get it out of whatever studio limbo it's in, I can guarantee the Internet won't be one of them.

(If fan-wonked petitions could make restored movies magically appear out of nowhere, we'd have a dozen Warner restorations I could name by now...)

To be fair, I think this person knows the reason for this grievance, and I usually sign petitions myself with this website, and often, the results are good. 

To be fair, I think this person knows the reason for this grievance, and I usually sign petitions myself with this website, and often, the results are good. 

I'm not sure I understand what the grievance is related to the film To Each His Own. 

Are you saying the person who started this petition knows why the owner of the film hasn't released it on DVD?

If yes,  what is that reason why?

Thanks

Long-desired by whom?

It's just another version of the Madame X story. John Lund is as wooden as ever.

Hey, Fedya don't be putting that dollface, John Lund down. We females need some male pulchritude to admire onscreen, even if it is a bit wooden.

He's the male version of Hedy Lamarr to us of the movie world!

I'm not sure I understand what the grievance is related to the film To Each His Own. 

Are you saying the person who started this petition knows why the owner of the film hasn't released it on DVD?

If yes,  what is that reason why?

Thanks

"Grievance" is a synonym for "petition" in this case.

And the person doesn't know why the owner of the film hasn't released it on DVD. 

"Grievance" is a synonym for "petition" in this case.

And the person doesn't know why the owner of the film hasn't released it on DVD. 

Thanks for the clarity.

Hopefully there are not legal reasons for not releasing the film on DVD but instead it just got lost in the queue with all the other films.  

Thanks for the clarity.

Hopefully there are not legal reasons for not releasing the film on DVD but instead it just got lost in the queue with all the other films.  

I hope so. There are plenty of films that need to be on DVD too, but I'd rather deal with Paramount and Warner Brothers than the Oscar Hammerstein estate for Porgy and Bess (1959)

There has got to be people on here willing to sign this! 

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/954/241/461/release-to-each-his-own-1946-to-american-audiences-on-dvd/

Here's a video sample as to why this film should be on DVD: 

If you want to see the whole film, it is on youtube, but could really use a DVD treatment in the United States: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFoqTUXxd-U

TCM shouldn't be the ONLY place to see this classic! 

Okay, HEP!

What! Are you tryin' to get me(and as I mentioned earlier in this thing) bawlin' like a freakin' baby here again or somethin'???

(...'cause after hittin' that first clip of this flick you just posted, if it WAS you'll be happy to know your little plan WORKED!!!)

;)

Okay, HEP!

What! Are you tryin' to get me(and as I mentioned earlier in this thing) bawlin' like a freakin' baby here again or somethin'???

(...'cause after hittin' that first clip of this flick you just posted, if it WAS you'll be happy to know your little plan WORKED!!!)

;)

If you are crying because you saw the clips, then I cannot help you. That's your response. 

If you are crying because you realize you will never see a DVD or Bluray of this film on the shelves ever in your lifetime and you want to sign the petition. Don't make me get all Miriam from Hush..Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964) on you. 

hqdefault.jpg

If you are crying because you saw the clips, then I cannot help you. That's your response. 

If you are crying because you realize you will never see a DVD or Bluray of this film on the shelves ever in your lifetime and you want to sign the petition. Don't make me get all Miriam from Hush..Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964) on you. 

hqdefault.jpg

Not that I would of course. Not everyone should experience what Joan Fontaine did when she was little. 

Thanks for the clarity.

There are other classics that need a DVD release as well, but I support this one because there will be others. I hope you will support this too, and sign. 

He's the male version of Hedy Lamarr to us of the movie world!

That's Hedley, thank you very much.

(And you've got Greg Peck and Cary Grant and Robert Mitchum and Joel McCrea and Sydney Greenstreet and... need I go on?)

hqdefault.jpg

Oh no, not THAT!!!

;)

Okay Hep, I'm hep to your passion for this film, and so I just signed that petition and added the following little comment in the box they allotted for such:

"I was adopted as a infant also, and have always sort of identified with this film. Love the ending. It gets to me every time I watch it on TCM now days."

(...and for what it's worth Hep, a few years after my parents died in the early-2000s, my wife found my birth mother up in B.C. Canada via the internet, and now I have a great relationship with her. I fly up about once a year to visit her and always have a wonderful time)

Oh no, not THAT!!!

;)

Okay Hep, I'm hep to your passion for this film, and so I just signed that petition and added the following little comment in the box they allotted for such:

"I was adopted as a infant also, and have always sort of identified with this film. Love the ending. It gets to me every time I watch it on TCM now days."

(...and for what it's worth Hep, a few years after my parents died in the early-2000s, my wife found my birth mother up in B.C. Canada via the internet, and now I have a great relationship with her. I fly up about once a year to visit her and always have a wonderful time)

That's sweet, Dargo. 

I wasn't adopted myself, but I do love adoption stories. If I ever marry, I do want to adopt if biology isn't kind. Even if it is, I do want to adopt anyway. 

I like To Each His Own (1946) because I like Olivia's character who struggles through so much in the most unfriendliest of times, and comes out weary, but strong. To see her transform is a sight to behold. I have often wondered why this film, and The Sin of Madelon Claudet( 1932) weren't on DVD since they are the perfect Mother's Day films.

Archived