Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My favorite Thanksgiving movie....

Stephen44

The one Thanksgiving scene I remember from a movie is in "Chilly Scenes of Winter," a Seventies film. The hero went home to have Thanksgiving with his mother, who was played by Gloria Graham. The family was seated in the house's rather formal dining room. Awkward silence. Suddenly the mom starts laughing hysterically.

"It's a joke," she finally says. "There is no Thanksgiving dinner!"

On a different note, the Cleveland Cinematheque once tried to celebrate the day after Thanksgiving as "Turkey Day" by showing a bad movie. They showed "Revolution," the Al Pacino film. (I didn't go and have never seen the film.)

King Kong. In NYC every year channel 9, WOR use to show King Kong. It was a tradition. Thanksgiving was, the parade, King Kong and dinner. It wasn't until a few years ago when the new King Kong was being made that they stopped showing it. I think it had something to do with the studios wanting to sell the older movie as a special DVD to compliment the new one. So they removed from the tv stations who use to run it. A real bummer.

marbleann, I love King Kong, love it, love it, love it.

In fact, I shared here that it was one of my early cinema memories, sitting with my family, watching King Kong on a 13 inch black and white television, crying when Kong was murdered by the idiots who took him out of his environment and caused him to fall in love with someone NOT of his species. That'll do one in every time! :)

But seriously, I adored this movie, would never watch a remake (as I wouldn't watch a remake of A Night To Remember either) and root for Kong every time, as I do for most animals taken out of their environment even in 2006.

But the best part of your post....you remember WOR channel NINE! I loved that channel, I loved Clownie and Klaude Kirschner and the theme from Gone With The Wind and WPIX and Captain Jack McCarthy and Soupy Sales and the Syncopated Alarm Clock on the Late Late Show.

I take it you're a not too young New Yawker, as I am? If not, I apologize. If yes, welcome to these fractious freewheeling boards. As Bette Davis said.....well, you know what she said. It is most definitely a bumpy ride on these boards, and that is one thing for which I am thankful today.

dolores

I glad people didn't think I was batty mentioning King Kong. I am with you, I will not see the new King Kong because I am not only mad at what they did with taking old King Kong off the island but what can they do to improve on the original? I liked Might Joe Young too. At least they didn't kill him off.

A Night to Remember was very good. I also like the Clifton Webb version. and the Nazi's version of the Titanic. A Night to Remember was more historical then the other versions. The newest one I always complain about. The movie could of been set in a parking lot because the ship really had no bearing on the plot. I was rooting for the Kate Winslet character to become fish food she was so annoying. Believe me you are not missing anything.

Yes I am in my 40's. The 12 o'clock movie with the syncopatic clock music on WOR. Channel 11 WPIX use to have Chiller Theater. Remember that on Saturday night? And Wonderama and the Sonny Fox show on Channel 5 (WNEW)? I was actually on Wonderama, Bob Macallister I think was the host then. . Soupy sales is one of my favorites. Fang, I remember we use to do the dance the Soupy Sales. It is good seeing somewhere that remembers tv in NY before cable and Thanksgiving with King Kong. They also always had the original Star Trek marathons on Channel 11 .for Thanksgiving too.

I loved Peter Jackson's remake of "King Kong," and I say that as a huge fan of the original. It wasn't a pointless remake, but rather was made with a lot of love and affection for the first one. Jackson's appreciation for the original version is in every frame of the remake.

Remember that following "Lord of the Rings" Jackson could pretty much make any movie he wanted, and Kong was what he wanted to do. It wasn't a stupid studio idea like many remakes -- it was a labor of love.

The original will always be the best, but Jackson did a great job of translating the story into something modern audiences could appreciate. The only thing I didn't like about it was that Naomi Watts didn't show nearly as much skin as Fay Wray.

"The original will always be the best, but Jackson did a great job of translating the story into something modern audiences could appreciate. The only thing I didn't like about it was that Naomi Watts didn't show nearly as much skin as Fay Wray."

But she sure gave a great performance. I expected her performance to be a gasp-and-scream fest, but she really made it into more. My favorite aspect of the movie was the color usage; Jackson had the movie look as if it were filmed in a two-strip process. Beautiful.

There are other problems that I have with the King Kong story. And I feel the remaking of the movie just perpetuates a myth. Enough is enough I refuse to watch anything Jackson has made because of it. . But that is for another place and time.

Naomi Watts is a good actress IMO. I was actually shocked she would have anything to do with making the movie.. But who knew.

marbleann, you too can do the Soupy Shuffle!????!!

:) I bet we're the only two people left in the U.S. who can do the Soupy Shuffle.

I loved Frank Nastasi and his White Fang/Black Tooth. I think I shared here that friends of mine went to see the show but I wasn't 'allowed'. Funny, no? Fourteen years old and I wasn't allowed to see Soupy and the gang.

Well, Frank Nastasi then sent me a wonderful letter saying how it was too bad I didn't join my friends and that he had hopes I would go to college. It was just a lovely, handwritten (I think) letter. After that, of course, I loved him until he passed away. A really nice guy, I think.

dolores

Yes indeed. That was a big dance. My older sister and her friends use to practice that dance to go and dance at parties and disco's back in the 60's. Soupy was way ahead of his times. Even though his show was adult humor when I look back in retrospect he was on tv during the day for children to watch. He use to get away wit a lot of stuff the networks was too stupid to figure out. He had a radio show here a few years back, people still love the guy.

I know how many Steve Martin haters there are but my favorite Thanksgiving Day Movie is "Trains, Planes and Automobiles with John Candy in one of his finer roles. I don't care if it was after 1970 and I don't care if it stars Steve Martin! I like it and that's who I please .....ME! You asked and I said (Thee Thee Thee That's All Folks!) By the way stoneyburke my favorite character on Soupy Sales was "Peaches" (Soupy in Drag) Don't forget to do "The Mouse" in your house also!

Bartlett

It's not that I don't like Steve Martin, I just don't like him in remakes. If he wants to re-make, he should choose another name because his 'Cheaper' is nothing like the original, whereas 'Father of the Bride' is. Anyway, I agree that Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is a funny movie. John Candy was no slouch in its success either.

Anne

I like Steve Martin but like someone said The original version of Cheaper By The Dozen And Father Of The Bride are the best.I thought John Candy and him were great in the Planes Trains and Automobiles. one of my favorite movies with Steve Martin is A Simple twist t Of Fate, and of course Bringing Down The House.