Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Big bands

drdoolittle

Anyone here that likes The Big band sound? What is your favorite?

I Grew up with parents that exposed me to different kinds of music except rock and roll.I have to say My big favorite is the big band era.

I have collected different bands I have Glen Miller for example I had seen Orchestra Wives several times I love that movie.Also like the Glen Miller Story I like the Andrew Sisters also. I would love to see big band music come back.

My favorites are

In The Mood

Little Brown Jug

Moonlight Serenade just a few.

So what are your favorites?

right now I'm listening to a cd with singers such as Kay Keyser

Dinah Shore

if you don't listen to big band ,What music that you do like?

I love Big Band music! :) My favorites are Tommey Dorsey and Bob Crosby. I love the "brassier" sounding big bands... I don't know if that makes sense.

I love the Andrews Sisters! They are just the hottest thing out there... I'm eaten up with them! I love "Oh, Johnny, Oh" and "Rum and CocoCola." Of course, I adore anything of which they sing with Bing Crosby... Favorites there include "Don't Fence Me In," "Is You Is, Or Is You Ain't?" and esp. their late recording "Cool Water." It would be a shame not to mention "South America, Take It Away!" and "Sparrow in the Treetop."

Awesome... I just love all of it! Thanks for the great thread!

bhf1940

I really like Big Band music. In particular I love Glen Miller and Tommy Dorsey.

I have XM radio, and while most of the time I listen to more 'modern' music (rock), I occasionally turn on the 40's decade station and enjoy a commute full of this sort of music!

It is very relaxing.

pktrekgirl:

Although I'm a dyed in the wool country/Western fan, there is still nothing like the big band sound. My favorite is Glenn Miller, I have a CD of his greatest hits, like Little Brown Jug, and Moonlight Serenade, I also had it on tape, but when I got the new car, it had a CD player, so I had to convert everything. As for C&W though, I love the Sons of the Pioneers, especially Cool Water.

Anne

I'm a big fan of swing and big bands. I was thrilled last month that TCM played Duchess of Idaho, because this movie featured Connie Haines. Miss Haines sang with Tommy Dorsey's orchestra, along with Frank Sinatra. For decades I've enjoyed listening to her, but had never seen her until TCM played this movie. She's a pistol! Tommy Dorsey provided the highlights to two Judy Garland musicals: Presenting Lily Mars and Girl Crazy. I'd hope that TCM will play Ship Ahoy, an Eleanor Powell vehicle that also features Mr. Dorsey's music. I believe there was also a biopic about the Dorseys. Does anyone else remember this one?

drdoolittle:

Frank Sinatra sang with the Tommy Dorsey Band, Jimmy took over the band when Tommy died, I don't think they ever made a movie of their lives, they had a disagreement which started a feud for several years.

Roy Rogers helped form the Sons of the Pioneers and sang with them under the name of Leonard Slye, and I can't believe I forgot to mention Tumbling Tumbleweeds, another favorite of mine.

Also, one of these days I'll get a copy of 'The Glenn Miller story because of the music in it, plus JImmy Stewart does a really good job of playing him, and June Allyson as his wife, is also terrific, especially when she hears the radio broadcast of Little Brown Jug.

Anne

I don't think they ever made a movie of their lives, they had a disagreement which started a feud for several years.

Forgetting about The Fabulous Dorseys (around 1946)? All about their growing up, the break-up, the getting-back-together-again. And some of their last recordings together (a double-LP Columbia set) were made about 1955, right before Tommy's death. Warren Covington took over Tommy's band for a good many years, with Lee Castle keeping Jimmy's people together for a long time.

Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey reconciled and had a television show on WCBS in 1956. They preceded "The Honeymooners" with Jackie Gleason. I know they had that TV show because in January 1956 history was made when a guy named Elvis Presley appeared for the first time on national television on the Dorseys show! I remember it like it was yesterday.

Bartlett