Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mgm16

Favorite Judy Garland Movies

I just wanted to see everyone elses top three favorite Judy films, since I am a huge Judyfan.

Mine are, as follows:

1. Easter Parade

2. Meet Me In St. Louis

3. For Me and My Gal

Oz is an obvious choice but a necessary one.

Summer Stock gets top marks from me - a delightful romp with Gene Kelly in tow.

A Star Is Born (1954) is exemplary entertainment. Garland is tragic, poignant and a musical powerhouse in a film that never gets maudlin or dated.

Judy's brave and shattering depiction of a survivor of the Nazi holocaust in Judgment at Nuremberg also gets my vote.

I love any movie with Judy Garland, she had a way of touching ones very soul, just with a look, a phrase or a song. She is one that could make you want to laugh and cry at the same time.

I love;

No matter how many times played... Wizard of Oz

Absolutely adore Presenting Lilly Mars,

Me and My Gal; Chemistry between her and Gene Kelly Is worth watching alone in

Harvey Girls is another great one.

The Pirate.... her and Gene again..... sigh

I do like her in another little known film only her voice is heard,because it was and animated film. Gay Purree, in which she plays a beautiful country cat in france, longing to go to the big city of Paris. The songs in it are great. I have the album. I do not lnow if it has ever come out on cd... The film itself is out on DVD... It has quite a cast, With Robetrt Goulet, Hermione Gingold, and Red buttons.. It is really worth a view

"I do like her in another little known film only her voice is heard,because it was and animated film. 'Gay Purree', in which she plays a beautiful country cat in france, longing to go to the big city of Paris. The songs in it are great. I have the album. I do not lnow if it has ever come out on cd..."

The soundtrack to Gay Purr-ee was released as a Rhino Handmade in a limited numbered edition of 2,500 disks. I believe you can buy a copy from the Rhino Handmade website...

The Wizard of Oz

The Pirate

Meet me in St. Louis

With honorable mentions to Thoroughbreds Don't Cry for being her first picture with Mickey Rooney and The Clock for a great performance in a non-musical.

1) A STAR IS BORN--Garland should have won an Oscar for her devasting performance.

2) THE CLOCK - Very sweet, romantic film. With beautiful performances by both Garland and Robert Walker. Nice cameos by James Gleason and wife Lucile and Keenan Wynn.

3) MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS. - Charming turn-of-the-century musical, I have seen this one dozens of times and never tire of it.

> "I do like her in another little known film only

> her voice is heard,because it was and animated film.

> 'Gay Purree', in which she plays a beautiful country

> cat in france, longing to go to the big city of

> Paris. The songs in it are great. I have the album. I

> do not lnow if it has ever come out on cd..."

The soundtrack to Gay Purr-ee was released as

> a Rhino Handmade in a limited numbered edition of

> 2,500 disks. I believe you can buy a copy from the

> Rhino Handmade website...

Thanks JackBurley. I will look the Rhino Handmade sight up. I just love the songs she sings,all written by Wizard of Oz composers Harlod Arlen and EY Harburg "Paris is a Lonely Town",

"Roses Red Violets Blue" and Take my Hand Paree"

. Such emotion in her wonderful voice voice.... it gives me chills

My favorite Judy Garland movie is In the Good Old Summer time...very good movie. One of my favorite movies of all time. I love van Johnson and Judy Garland together in that movie. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.....tehe...just kidding...no, but seriously...I really like that movie..

I'd like to put in a good word for "Easter Parade." I think it's a lot of fun, bright and cheerful. "A Couple of Swells" is a terrific number that always makes me smile.

as many of you lol i've never seen a Judy Garland movie i haven't liked, and i have so many favorites, but my favorites would have to be..

Presenting Lily Mars- she looks so pretty

For Me and My Gal

A Star is Born - her acting was so good

The Clock

Easter Parade

Harvey Girls

Ziegfeld Girl- even though it wasn't a starring role

Girl Crazy

Meet Me in St.Louis

of course Wizard of Oz

Summer Stock

The Pirate

lol now that i see my list, lol there's not many that i haven't listed, especially because i haven't seen all her movies yet, i hope TCM plays some Mickey Judy musicals soon

and id like to add, her spoof of snobbery in Ziegfeld Follies is the best part, it was so well done on her part, every gesture was perfect

:)

yeah i heard that too, i also heard The Pirate should be available this year :)

i wonder what movies they'll put in..

Babes in Amrs

Babes on Broadway

Strike Up the Band

Girl Crazy

i can't think of anymore unless their planning to put other non "backyard musicals" in the collection

Judyfan,

According to the crew from Warners in the Home Theater Chat the other night, a box set of Garland-Rooney films are coming with lots of extras.

Thanks for the Update! I had heard that a while back and thought maybe it was just an idea, not something that was actually coming out, i'll be on the lookout :)

WOW, that's a lot! i'm so glad warner brothers re-releases all the old movies because it shows a whole other age group what their missing :P i no that if my parents hadn't shown them to me i wouldn't have ever watched any classic movies, and now that i've seen them i prefer them over any new release :)