Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"In the Spotlight"

A great person to have "In The Spotlight". I always liked Sal Mineo and thought he was a fine actor. I have seen him in Giant and Rebel Without a Cause and Exodus. I just recently saw his as a guest star in the Combat! t.v. series.

An excellent underated actor - it is quite a shame the way in which he died. I can't believe it happened in 1976- 31 years ago went by so quickly.

He also played a character named "Angel" in a TV movie from 1970-"The Challengers." How appropriate, because he always had an "angelic" quality about him. It is a shame that he was not "able" to do a film version of James Kirkwood's novel/play "PS Your Cat Is Dead." Steve Guttenberg finally brought it to the screen (as actor/writer/director) in 2002. He dedicated the film to Sal Mineo.

Plato: Do you think the end of the world will come at night time?

Jim: Uh-uh, at dawn.

> And before anyone categorizes him under the often

> narrow heading of Charactor Actor, I'd happily advise

> them to take in the gem that is "You Can't Take it

> With You", in which EA repeatedly wedges in between

> co-stars Lionel Barrymore and James Stewart, and

> quietly steals every scene he graces.

I quite agree Klondike, well said. And that's why I say he's one of my favorite actors of all time! What a talent and what majestic presence he had. He should have played Henry VIII --- did he, ever?

Miss G, the movie is based on the novel. I found a brief review of the film:

I found this film to be intriguing and as a result, I liked it! One can clearly see that it's a B-film. It was directed by one of the masters, Josef Von Sternberg.

Peter Lorre gives a good account of himself as a man who tries to cover up a crime that he committed. He is dogged by a somewhat good-natured police inspector played by Edward Arnold and is helped onto the road of redemption by a kind, angelic prostitute played perfectly by Marian Marsh.

Dostoyevsky's long novel has been adapted into a tight 88 minute feature film, which runs along smoothly and is never dull. "Crime and Punishment" is a film which is intelligently written, directed and acted.

I couldn't find where Edward Arnold ever played Henry VIII.

Thank you, Mongo, for taking the trouble to look that up for me! It sounds like a movie I'd love to see: a modern take on Crime and Punishment. I certainly hope TCM airs it one day!

I think Arnold would have made an amazing King Henry VIII, not because of his girth only but mainly for his command of the language and his presence.

Shonna, glad you enjoyed the photo. I always liked candid shots of the stars having a good laugh, whether out on the town or on the set.

Miss G, I'll keep my eyes peeled for the movie "Crime and Punishment" on TCM.