• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

"In the Spotlight"

In the Spotlight: EDMUND GWENN

PhotobucketPhotobucket

The endearing character actor was born Edmund Kellaway in Wandsworth, London, England on September 26, 1877. His father was a severe British civil servant who turned him out of the house at 17 for expressing a desire to become an actor. In spite or because of this, he went on the stage in 1895. Playwright George Bernard Shaw was impressed with his acting, and cast him in the first production of "Man and Superman", and subsequently in five more of his plays.

Gwenn's career was interrupted by his military service during World War I.

Returning to the stage after the war, he eventually started making films, first in England and then almost exclusively in America.

The plump, crinkly-eyed, elfin character actor who played both saints and villains appeared in more than eighty films during his career, including the 1940 version of "Pride and Prejudice", "Cheers for Miss Bishop", "Of Human Bondage" (1946), and "The Keys of the Kingdom".

He has a small but hugely memorable role as a Cockney assassin in another Hitchcock film, "Foreign Correspondent" (1940).

Some of his other films include, "Sylvia Scarlett", "The Walking Dead" with Karloff, "Anthony Adverse", "A Yank at Oxford", "The Devil and Miss Jones", "Lassie Come Home", "Between Two Worlds", "Undercurrent", "Life with Father", "Green Dolphin Street", "For Heaven's Sake", "Something for the Birds", "The Student Prince", etc.

He is perhaps best remembered for his role as Kris Kringle in "Miracle on 34th Street", for which he won an Academy Award and Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor. Upon receiving his Oscar, he said "Now I know there is a Santa Claus!" He received a second Oscar nomination for his role in "Mister 880" and won the Golden Globe Award. He and character actor Cecil Kellaway were cousins.

In 1954, Gwenn played Dr. Harold Medford in the classic science fiction film "Them!" (about he giant ants) with James Arness and James Whitmore.

In a magazine interview in 1998, actress Joan Weldon revealed that during the shoot of "Them!" the temperature reached 110?F and both she and Gwenn were wearing wool clothing. It was even more insufferable for Gwenn, who struggled with advanced arthritis. Although unnoticeable to audiences, he was in pain and was helped off set by his valet, Ernest.

Near the end of his career he played one of the main roles in Alfred Hitchcock's "The Trouble with Harry" (1955)..

The gent was married and divorced within hours in 1901, and remained a bachelor.

He died September 6, 1959 at age 81 from pneumonia after suffering a stroke, in Woodland Hills, California. He was cremated and his ashes are stored in the vault at the Chapel of the Pines Crematory in Los Angeles, California.

Edmund Gwenn has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 1751 Vine Street for his contribution to motion pictures. He certainly deserved it.

Message was edited by: mongo

null

Scenes from "Miracle on 34th. Street"

Photobucket

Gwenn with John Payne, Maureen O'Hara & Natalie Wood

Photobucket

Gwenn as Kris Kringle with adorable Natalie Wood

Hi Mongo, Who can forget Edmund Gwenn`s hands in Foreign Correspondant? Mr. Gwenn received his second Academy Award nomination for Mister 880, Has anybody seen this movie?

Cashette, you hit the nail on the head. Gwenn was utterly a charmer in "Mister 880".

Here is a part of the New York Times review in 1950:

Most valuable in this presentation is the talented Edmund Gwenn, who plays the kindly counterfeiter with charming ingenuousness. His tender concern and affection for "Cousin Henry," his printing press, is a touching demonstration of genuine gratitude, and his innocent way of passing fake bills is sufficient to redeem his guilt. The only trouble with the picture is that we don't see enough of him.

Gwenn taking direction from Michael Curtiz

Photobucket

The actor & director made three films together

Gwenn holding his Oscar for "Miracle on 34th Street"

Photobucket

Joined by Oscar winners Darryl F. Zanuck, Loretta Young, Ronald Colman, & Celeste Holm

In the Spotlight: JULIE ADAMS

Photobucket

The lovely actress was born Betty May Adams on October 17, 1926 in Waterloo, Iowa and although born in the Hawkeye State, she grew up in Arkansas, making her acting debut in a third grade play, "Hansel and Gretel".

Deciding to become an actress, she moved to California, where she worked three days a week as a secretary (to support herself) and spent the remainder of her time taking speech lessons and making the rounds at the various studios' casting departments.

Her first movie role was playing a starlet, appropriately enough, in Paramount's "Red, Hot and Blue" with Betty Hutton (1949), followed by a leading role in the Lippert Studios western "The Dalton Gang" (1949). Over a period of five weeks, she appeared in six more quickie Lippert westerns.

Adams' first big show business break was at Universal, when she appeared in a screen test opposite All-American footballer Leon Hart, a Detroit Lions end. It was Hart who was being considered by the studio, but the gridiron star flopped while Universal execs flipped over Adams.

She used her real name, Betty Adams, until 1949 when she began working for Universal Pictures. She then became Julia and eventually Julie Adams. Adams is probably best remembered as the bathing beauty in 1954's "Creature From the Black Lagoon".

Universal publicity in the 50s claimed that her legs won an award as "the most perfectly symmetrical in the world" and that they were insured for $125,000 dollars.

Some of her other films included, "Bright Vicory", "Bend of he River", "The Mississippi Gambler" with Tyrone Power, "Six Bridges to Cross" with Tony Curtis, "The Looters", "The Private War of Major Benson", "One Desire", "Away All Boats", "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue", "Tarawa Beachhead", "Tickle Me" with Elvis, etc.

Later in her career, she worked in television in numerous guest starring roles, including appearances in a few soaps, "Maverick", "The Doris Day Show", "The Jimmy Stewart Show", and as real estate agent Eve Simpson on "Murder, She Wrote".

Adams was married just once, to the late actor/director Ray Danton (1954 - 1981), Photobucket and they had two sons together.

She is spry and looking good at age 81, and continues to make appearances at nostalgia events. Last on TVs "CSI:NY" in 2007.

Quoted: No matter what you do, you can act your heart out, but people will always say, "Oh, Julie Adams - Creature from the Black Lagoon."

I was a single mother and uninsured

I went through a radical mastectomy after breast cancer without insurance.

I lost my business during chermotherapy.

I moved home and am currently caring for my 83 year old mother who has Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, is bi-polar and totally bedridden.

I care for her 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

I have had one day off a year for the past four years.

I still have medical bills.from heart issues following chemo

When my mother dies, I will not have a home to live in

I don't understand how there are so many organizations and charities for so many causes but there are none for those that have gone through breast cancer to assist in getting their lives back on track ant to ease the burden of bills. They've had their bodies ravaged and their lives devastated. Just when you need all of the strength to recover from surgeries and chemo you have to fight for your life to survive the bill collectors. What if each person sho has gone through breast cancer or known someone who has gone through this horrible disease sent $1.00, $5.00 or however much their heart felt moved to share to help. Why is it that the women that have been so fortunate to have their own television show or radio show not take one person's name that have been through this and ask their listener's if they are so moved to send help to these women. Thirty women a month, three hundred sixty five women a year could be helped and given hope. Even if it did not financially make a large impact the fact that someone gave would mean there are those out there that do care and there are still tenderhearted people in the world.

I wish this would catch on at sometime int the near future. If not to help me to help the many others I am sure have experienced the same fate.

Sincerely,

Denise Baker

2217 Woodbluff Way

Augusta, GA 30909

bakercomp2003@yahoo.com

Dear Ms. Baker,

Your cause is a great one and should be brought into the spotlight, although perhaps elsewhere on a site where your plea can be rewarded.

You can try 'In Your Corner' a support group at www.InYourCorner.com

My wife and two daughters are supporters of breast cancer victims and survivors. They are also adament about getting a mammogram every year as directed by the American Cancer Society.

I'm certain that TCM board members share your concern and we wish you the very best in your efforts.

Happy New Year.

Joe aka Mongo

Julie on the set with the Gill Man

Photobucket

played by Ben Chapman (above water) & Ricou Browning (underwater).