Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

"In the Spotlight"

Mongo, thanks for the SHE DEVIL poster and photo. Brings back some scary memories when I first saw this as a kid on TV. Years later, I was able to laugh at it and just enjoy looking at Ms. Blanchard.

scsu, it's nice to know that the movie "She Devil" brought back some recollections. And yes, Mari IS something to look at.

I think she started with dark hair in that movie, then became a blonde after the "experiment" which turned her into the "she devil," finally reverting back to dark hair at the end. Geez, I'd like to see this one on TCM Underground.

In the Spolight: RICHARD JAECKEL

Photobucket

One of Hollywood's most prolific supporting stars, he was born Richard Hanley Jaeckel in Long Island, New York, on October 10, 1926. Jaeckel's family moved to Los Angeles when he was still in his teens.

After graduation from Hollywood High School, Jaeckel was discovered by a casting director at age 17 while working as a mailboy for 20th Century-Fox. Although he had some reluctance to act, Jaeckel auditioned for a key part in the war epic "Guadalcanal Diary" (1943).

He won the role and settled into a lengthy career in supporting parts, graduating from playing baby-faced teenagers (never seemed to age) to gunfighters and hired killers with ease.

He served in the US Navy from 1944 to 1949, then starred in two of the most remembered war films of 1949, "Battleground" and "Sands of Iwo Jima" with John Wayne.

He also played the role of Turk, the boyfriend, in the celebrated 1952 film "Come Back, Little Sheba", co-starring with Shirley Booth, Burt Lancaster, and Terry Moore.

He had parts in, "Wing and a Prayer", "City Across the River" as one of the Amboy Dukes, "The Gunfighter" with Gregory Peck, "My Son John", "Big Leaguer", "Attack" with Jack Palance, "3:10 to Yuma" with Glenn Ford, "Cowboy", "The Lineup", "The Naked and the Dead", "Flaming Star", etc.

Jaeckel's other notable roles include one of a trio of GIs accused of **** a German girl in "Town Without Pity" (1961), a standout performance, and "The Dirty Dozen" (1967) as tough MP Sgt. Clyde Bowren, who goes along on the mission to keep an eye on the prisoners he's trained.

The highlight of Jaeckel's career was in 1971, when he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his role in "Sometimes a Great Notion" as Paul Newman's unfortunate brother. It was Newman who persisted in getting him the role.

Also in numerous TV episodes, which included a recurring role in the short-lived Andy Griffith vehicle "Salvage 1". In his later years, Jaeckel was known to TV audiences as Lt. Ben Edwards on the series "Baywatch". He also appeared on "Spenser: For Hire", among many others.

Married for many years to his beloved Antoinette (two sons), he was forced to file bankruptcy in early 1994 due to a $1.7 million debt and eventually he lost his home in Brentwood, California and most of his possessions.

Diagnosed with melanoma, he moved into the Motion Picture and Television Hospital in Woodland Hills (after a hassle), he stayed for the next three years until his death in June 1997 at age 70.

His wife, Antoinette, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease shortly before his death.

His son, Barry, is a professional golfer who has won on the PGA Tour.

In his own words on being diagonsed with melanoma cancer. "I know people are pulling for me to beat this thing, but let them have a glass at the bar for me and let it go at that."

Quoted: "I've put fifty years in movies and my wife and I have traveled all over the world. I've been very lucky." A swell guy.

Message was edited by: mongo

Photobucket

Although not billed on the poster (Jaeckel is pictured 4th) in his film debut

Photobucket

Jaeckel with Lloyd Nolan in "Guadalcanal Diary" (1943)

Thanks, Ava. For your information I scout the internet for the pictues that I use for the profiles.

I always thought he was a little underrated. Loved him in "Battleground" and "The Naked and the Dead " and of course as Turk in "Come Back Little Sheba" out muscling Burt Lancaster with his poses for Terry Moore's drawings.

vallo

*Richard Jaeckel* gave some great performances, particularly when asked to play a guy with a large chip on his shoulders. For some of us, he was also, well, not to put too fine a point on it..."dreamy" looking! * lol * I was reminded again recently how much Mr. *Jaeckel* managed to make out of smaller parts when he popped up in The Lineup on TCM as the 'dipsomaniac' driver for that crazy 'couple' played by Eli Wallach & Robert Keith. Thanks so much for featuring him in your thread, Mongo.

One small quibble:

20th Century Fox must've been on an economy drive in 1950 when they approved that poster of *The Gunfighter* to advertise the *Gregory Peck* movie. I realize that they were probably trying to make the movie star handsome Greg look fierce, but the artist seems to have made Peck look like character actor Will Wright! But hey, maybe that's just me (see Mr. Wright's photo below for comparison)?

willwright.JPG

Btw, this comment is not intended as a criticism of you, Mongo, just an observation about the amusing likeness I saw in the poster!

Good obsevation, Moira. I too thought that the image of Peck was sort of off kilter. And yes, he does look like character actor Will Wright.

Vallo, when I began research on Jaeckel I couldn't believe the numerous film and TV credits he had under his belt. It's too bad that he doesn't have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Joe,

Thank you so much for shining your spotlight on Richard Jaeckle.

It's a pity that his memorable work in *Sometimes a Great Notion* is tied up in rights hell. The scene with Newman in the river has stayed with me for over 30 years now.

He had the misfortune to be nominated that year against Ben Johnson as Sam the Lion in *Last Picture Show*.

It was one year that I wished would have been a tie.

Lynn, It was my pleasure to feature Richard Jaeckel. I would imagine he was tickled with the nomination, sort of an acknowledgement after his many years in films.

Photobucket

Jaeckel (in bed), John Derek & Walter Brennan in "Sea of Lost Ships"

Photobucket

Jaeckel (in car) with John Derek & Wanda Hendrix (1954)

Message was edited by: mongo

Photobucket

Jaeckel as one of four GIs on trial for rape in "A Town Without Pity" (1961)

That "Guadalcanal Diary" poster is a riot .. with the bare chested American about to body slam the enemy soldier.

Mongo, if I hadn't seen that the title of the poster was for "Town Without Pity" I would have thought the picture of Kirk was a picture of Conrad Veidt, early in his career. Whew!

lynn--I don't know if you have Retroplex or any of the Encore channels but I watched Sometimes a Great Notion just a couple of weeks ago on that channel.

Photobucket

Jaeckel (left) with William Bendix & Rory Calhoun in "The Young and the Brave" (1963)