Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"In the Spotlight"

bansi4

I don't remember him having a beard though .. unless he grew it later in the series. I do remember the instrumental "Quentin's Theme" was released as a single.

Mongo, these are great posts. They really bring back lots of memories. Thanks again!

Lynn, Joan Bennett appeared on 385 episodes of "Dark Shadows" from 1966 thru 1971.

"I hated the job at first -- all that getting up early and eating soup in a paper cup for lunch. But

now I don't mind." -- Joan Bennett in 1968, about her stint on "Dark Shadows".

Message was edited by: mongo

Hi Mongo, Thanks for including a photo from "There`s Always Tomorrow". It is a favorite Douglas Sirk film of mine, and it is seldom shown. Fred MacMurray is the owner of a toy factory who is not appreciated at home by his wife and children. Barbara Stanwyck is a fashion designer who comes to town. She once was an old flame of Fred`s, and the sparks almost rekindle. Douglas Sirk had a keen eye for American mores of the 1950`s.

In the Spotlight: EUGENE PALLETTE

Photobucket

The great, rotund, frog-voiced character actor Eugene Pallette was born to theatrical parents, on July 8, 1889 in Winfield, Kansas.

Having previously trouped as a child and worked as a streetcar conductor and a jockey, in 1910 Pallette became a touring stock company performer again, entering films as an extra and working his way to lead roles in one and two-reel adventure films and westerns in less than a month.

His film debut was in a 1910 short subject. In 1913 he made at least fifteen films -- the earliest of which appears to have been "The Tattooed Arm".

Pallette took a break during World War I to serve in the military. When he came back to films around 1920, he was too fat for leading roles at this time, a far cry from his slim, athletic figure. His portly build would gain him fame later in his career.

After gaining a substantial amount of weight, Pallette's status as a recognizable character actor rose. In 1927, Pallette signed as a regular for Hal Roach Studios, and was a reliable comic foil in several early Laurel and Hardy films before the advent of talkies. In later years, Pallette's weight may have topped out at 300 pounds.

Best remembered for his distinctive voice which was often described as "froggy", made him one of Hollywood's most sought-after character actors in the 1930s and 1940s.

In his best films Pallette made his fatness seem like a sign of moderation and common sense. As Friar Tuck in "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (1938) or Fray Felipe in "The Mark of Zorro" (1940), he shows that a fat priest is no heartless zealot but understands the sins of the flesh. Playing a tubby millionaire like the beer baron in "The Lady Eve" or Alexander Bullock in "My Man Godfrey" (1936), Pallette uses his girth to create a common touch.

His over 200 films also include, "Border Town", "The Ghost Goes West", "The Golden Arrow", "Topper", "One Hundred Men and a Girl", "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", "Young Tom Edison", "The Bride Came C.O.D.", "The Male Animal", "The Big Street", "Heaven Can Wait", "Pin Up Girl", among many others.

After World War II his ultra-right-wing political views fuelled his 'bomb' paranoia and he bought a property in Oregon which he turned into a well-stocked compound in case the Russians attacked. Many of his old Hollywood friends, including Clark Gable, visited him there (some came to hunt and fish) but the property was later sold.

In 1944 Pallette played Jeanne Crain's wealthy father in "In the Meantime, Darling", and during the filming a startling and ugly incident took place.

According to director Otto Preminger, a scene took place in the kitchen where Pallette and black actor Clarence Muse were to have a conversation. Muse was seated at the table and Preminger directed Pallette to make his entrance and then sit down beside Muse. "You're out of your mind" said Pallette. "I won't sit next to a n-----"! Preminger went to producer Darryl F. Zanuck and had him fired. Although most of his scenes had been shot, he was written out of what was left.

Word spead around Hollywood that the actor was an obnoxious racist, and he was quickly blacklisted by the major studios.

In increasingly ill health by his late fifties, Pallette made fewer and fewer movies, and for lesser studios. His final film, "Suspense", was released in 1946.

His second marriage lasted 22 years until his death from cancer at age 65 in 1954. He is buried in an unmarked grave next to his parents at Green Lawn Cemetery in Kansas.

The inimitable character actor has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

null

One of my favorite Actors from the Golden Age. Like him in whatever his in. Love looking for him in so many films.

I still can't believe he was a Jockey and a Racist though...

Good Stuff... Mr. M

Bill

What a great charactor actor, always enjoyed his work. The first time I saw him was in the A & C flick It Ain't Hay. He plays a character named Warner. At one point in the film, he knocks on the door and Abbott says "It's Warner." Costello says "Tell him we're signed with Universal."

Archived