"In the Spotlight"

Photobucket

Gene Tierney, Tyrone Power, Herbert Marshall, Webb, Anne Baxter & Lucile Watson

in "The Razor's Edge". Webb won a Golden Globe Award as Elliott Templeton

Message was edited by: mongo

Photobucket

Bogart on Webb's lap next to Laurence Olivier at one of Webb's shindigs

Photobucket

Webb as Mr. Belvedere with Raymond C. Hair Jr. in "Sitting Pretty" (1948)

Webb received a Best Actor Oscar nomination.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Roy Roberts, Robert Wagner, & Webb as John Philip Sousa (1952).

Message was edited by: mongo

Hi Mongo, How interesting to learn that Clifton Webb introduced "Easter Parade" on Broadway. My favorite Clifton Webb movies are "Laura", "The Razor`s Edge", "Cheaper By The Dozen", "Stars And Stripes Forever", "Three Coins In The Fountain", and " Women`s World".

cashette, you are on the money regarding your favorite Webb movies. Did you ever see him as Mr. Belvedere in "Sitting Pretty"? It's a hoot.

Yes, Mongo I own "Sitting Pretty". It is a funny movie, and I have always liked Maureen O`Ohara and Robert Young who costarred. Have you seen "Holiday For Lovers" with Jane Wyman?

Cashette, unfortunately I have not had the chance to see "Holiday for Lovers" yet.

Photobucket

Dear Joe!

thanks for spot lighting Ms Garrett and Mr. Webb.They are both delight to watch.I wish i had gotten to see Mr. Webb in person.I loved him in cheaper By The Dozen ,But My favorite dramatic role would have to be Three Coins In The Fountain along with Laura.Ms. Garrett is quite a dancer to. I love the movie My sister Eileen. As always it's a joy to read your threads

Christine

Christine, thank you and I appreciate your interest regarding 'In the Spotlight'. I concur that both stars were a delight.

n the Spotlight: PEGGIE CASTLE

Photobucket

The tall, sultry, green-eyed blonde was born Peggy Thomas Blair on December 22, 1927 in Appalachia, Virginia.

Her father was director of industrial relations for a large corporation, and Peggy attended a private school in Pittsburg.

After a series of moves, her father became studio manager of the Goldwyn Studios and the family settled in Hollywood.

Peggy attended Hollywood High School, and lying about her age gets modeling assignments, and is an usherette at the Hollywood Bowl.

After 2 years of college she works on a radio soap opera.

Castle was discovered by a talent scout while eating in a restaurant in Beverly Hills. She is signed up with Universal International studio and is cast in bit parts. Loaned out to another studio she plays Bette Davis' daughter in "Payment on Demand", and is on her way specializing in playing the "other woman" in B-movies and tagged 'the poor man's Claire Trevor'.

In her films, she was usually somebody's "woman" rather than a girlfriend and her career was confined to colorful co-features including, "The Prince Who was a Thief", "The Golden Horde", "Harem Girl", "Invasion USA", "The Yellow Tomahawk", "Target Zero", "The Oklahoma Woman", "The Counterfeit Plan", "Beginning of the End", "Back from the Dead", etc.

Some films of merit are "Bright Victory", "I, the Jury", "The White Orchid", "99 River Street", "Miracle in the Rain", and "Seven Hills of Rome" with Mario Lanza.

Castle then moved to television, and in 1956, starred in the pilot for a TV spy series called "Assignment: Mexico". The series, if it had been accepted by CBS, would have been shot on location and in color, but the network did not exercise its option.

She had better luck where she played the major character Lily Merrill, the owner of the Birdcage Saloon in the television western series "Lawman" from 1959 to 1962. Not a singer, she found herself singing in every third episode of the series.

She dated Audie Murphy and was married twice by the age of 24, and with her third husband director William McGarry produced a daughter Erin born in 1963.

She would marry once more in 1970, and widowed within two years.

she left show business in 1962, and later developed an alcohol problem (spent time at Camarillo Sate Hospital).

Sadly, never quite content with life, she subsequently became an alcoholic. She died of cirrhosis of the liver in 1973 at only 45 years of age.

The beauty has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

I don't know if it is just this photo but she looks a lot like Annette Bening

Ah yes, Invasion USA ... what a bomb. At least Ms. Castle looked good in it, and the title is the answer to the trivia question "In what film did both women who played Lois Lane in the Superman TV series appear?"