Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

"In the Spotlight"

I can understand Ernest Borgnine as he referred to her as "beautiful, but a tiger."

Look at those "Bedroom" Eyes-WOW. Loved her as Rosa In "Trapeze" and of course "High Noon" and in "Broken Lance" with Spencer Tracy

Also she was discovered by film director Budd Boetticher in 1951 at a Bull-Fight...

vallo

null

Hi Mongo,

Another great choice for the spotlight.

I think she was the best thing in "High Noon", although I've loved that movie since it first came out. She far outranked Grace Kelly for me in that picture, although I like Grace also.

Salma Hayak is certainly a good successor to Miss Jurado and I enjoy her very much also.

Larry

Thanks for the spotlight, Mongo. She's really pretty. Makes me want to see High Noon even more now! Seems imposssible that in 80 years only 2 Mexicans have been nominated for Oscars! Amazing.

Vallo, regarding Miss Jurado's beauty, here is an excerpt from a profile of the actress, 'Blessed with a stunning beauty and an assertive personality, Jurado specialized in playing determined women in a wide variety of films in Mexico and the United States'

Director Botticher gave Jurado a part in his film "The Bullfighter and the Lady", which began her career in Hollywood.

I find her heartbreaking in the scene with Slim Pickens down by the river in "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid".

Brad, it is surprising that there is only two Mexican's ever nominated for an Oscar.

I always felt that actor Alfonso Bedoya should have been nominated for his smiling cutthroat bandit in "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" (1948).

I could just hear him now: "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges".

In the Spotlight: Elisha Cook Jr.

Character actor Elisha Cook, Jr. born December 26, 1903 in San Francisco, California, made a career playing cowardly villains and neurotics, earning the nickname "Hollywood's lightest heavy".

Enlisted in U.S. Army on 15 August 1942. Height and weight at enlistment given as 5' 5" and 123 lb. Education given as three years of high school.

Cook started out in vaudeville and then became a Broadway actor.

In 1936 he settled in Hollywood and, after playing a series of college-aged parts, began a long stint playing weaklings or sadistic loser-hoods.

In Universal's "Phantom Lady" (1944), he portrays a nightclub-orchestra drummer who, under the intoxicating influence of some substance or other, encounters Ella Raines during an afternoon's band practice. Thoroughly taken with her slinky allure, he enacts a drum-solo piece that is of such crescendo, and played with such innuendo, as to suggest - glaringly - nothing except his own fantasized sexual journey from cymbal foreplay through bass-drum climax

Other notable roles include Wilmer the gunsel in "The Maltese Falcon" (1941), "pug ugly" Marty Waterman in "Born to Kill", Harry Jones in "The Big Sleep" (1946), Torrey in "Shane" (1953), and George Peatty, the hen-pecked husband to Marie Windsor, in Stanley Kubrick's "The Killing" (1956).

Also in, "They Won't Forget", "Stranger on the Thid Floor", "I Wake Up Screaming", "Dillinger", "The Gangster", "Don't Bother to Knock", "Baby Face Nelson", "House on Haunted Hill", "One-Eyed Jacks", "Rosemary's Baby", etc.

His acting career spanned over sixty years in close to 200 films. In the above roles and others, Cook's characters usually ended up being killed off (strangled, poisoned or shot); he was arguably Hollywood's most notable fall guy for many years.

Cook played a private detective in a 1953 episode of "Adventures of Superman" TV series entitled 'Semi-Private Eye'. In the series DVD commentary, Jack Larson (Jimmy Olsen) describes this as his favorite episode, both for being allowed to play a self-styled Humphrey Bogart-style Shamus, and for the chance to work with "Cookie", who became a good friend.

He played lawyer Samuel T. Cogley on the "Star Trek" episode "Court Martial", and later had a long-term recurring role as Icepick on "Magnum, P.I.". Also appeared on numerous other TV shows.

It's been said that Cook has been directed by more successful directors than any other actor.

He was married twice (2nd mariage lasting 51 years), and lived in his later years in the desert near Bishop, California, far from Hollywood, without an agent, working whenever someone took the trouble to track him down.

He suffered a loss of speech due to a stroke in 1990. At age 91, he was the last surviving member of the "Falcon".

He died May 18, 1995 in Big Pine, California at the age of 92.

The little tough guy does not have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Thanks again, Mongo for putting the spotlight on a superberb actor. I also want to mention his excellent work in DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK, playing Marilyn Monroe's uncle and the hotel elevator operator. This could have been a role to just walk through, but he gave that little guy so many nuances that he became one of the most vivid characters in the play. In fact, he was key to providing more sympathy for MM's disturbed character: you understood how she could lose it if the rest of her family was as hard on her as he was.

He made you understand---even if you despised---his characters because he always found something human in even their most craven moments.

Miss G

Wow Mongo,

Imagine waking up to that picture of Katy Jurado!!!! Va, Va Voom and smouldering!!!

Now that's a 'red hot mama' - - lucky Ernie Borgnine.......

And, by the look on Elisha Cook's face in your next photo, she would have eaten him for breakfast.....

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

Mr. Cook, One of the best henchman,characters in many a film. Except "House on Haunted Hill" where he "Spooked" me out as a kid.

Don't even get me started as to why he doesn't have a star in Hollywood. After 60yrs. and 200 films (come-on Hollywood walk-of fame....get with the program)

vallo

No doubt Elisha Cook Jr. was indeed an important character actor whose reasoning was:

"Whatever they write, that's what I portray, the best I can".

Playing a good onscreen villain was "Good writing and directing. If you don't have those things, forget it, you've got nothing. I don't care how good you are." And luckily he worked with some of the best in the business.

Don't even get me started as to why he doesn't have a star in Hollywood. After 60yrs. and 200 films (come-on Hollywood walk-of fame....get with the program)

As I understand it, the star has to be nominated in a form to the Chamber of Commerce, the star must attend (that would leave Cook out) and someone has to pony up $15,000 if it is decided to give the person a Star. I can't recall if there has/had to be a number of signatures of fans, as well.

Isn't it disgusting, vallo13, that a deceased actor can't get a Star? Money didn't have ANYthing to do with that decision now did it? Oh, nooooooooooooo.

Paves the way for the likes of Anna Nicole Smith and Bo Doggy Saggy Pants or some such rapper jackass to get all the stars they want, as long as they can pony up the gold.

As the Wicked Witch of the West said, what a world.

this spotlight was great.She was very talented and I hate to say this but I think she was more beautiful than Grace Kelly. Grace Kelly Is beautiful but I think Ms. Juardo was had more classic beauty inside and out.

Christine

Dear Mongol!

Was Mr. Cook in A movie with Mr. Widmark and Ms Monroe? He played her brother who got her job at a hotel babysitting. She was very good in the movie, But I can not think of the name.

I Like to know what decides who should have be on the walk of fame and who doesn't considering some who do that haven't done any thing to deserve it.

Hi DrDoolittle: Here is what I posted earlier about the movie you are thinking of with MM & RW:

>>>Thanks again, Mongo for putting the spotlight on a superberb actor. I also want to mention his excellent work in DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK, playing Marilyn Monroe's uncle and the hotel elevator operator. This could have been a role to just walk through, but he gave that little guy so many nuances that he became one of the most vivid characters in the play. In fact, he was key to providing more sympathy for MM's disturbed character: you understood how she could lose it if the rest of her family was as hard on her as he was. <<<

Stoney, It STINKS!!!!, Ryan SeaWEED can get a star with one Lousy show. But certain stars with over 200 films get ZIP....

what a world and What a sad state of affairs.....

vallo