Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

"In the Spotlight"

I've never been a Van Heflin fan. My favorite movie is a tiny bit of a chore to get through, becuz I have to go through Van Heflin to get to Stanwyck, Kirk Douglas and Lizabeth Scott (in "The Stange Love of Martha Ivers.") It wasn't till I saw him with Stanwyck (again) in "East Side, West Side" that I appreciated him. Now I can breeze through "...Martha Ivers" for twenty-thirty more times.

I've never been a Van Heflin fan. My favorite movie is a tiny bit of a chore to get through, becuz I have to go through Van Heflin to get to Stanwyck, Kirk Douglas and Lizabeth Scott (in "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers.") It wasn't till I saw him with Stanwyck (again) in "East Side, West Side" that I appreciated him. Now I can breeze through "...Martha Ivers" for twenty-thirty more times...

CineMaven, I think it is safe to say that we all have a few movie stars that are difficult to get past in certain films. At the top of my head, it took me a while with George Sanders.

Photobucket

Heflin in his Oscar winning role with Patricia Dane & Robert Taylor in "Johnny Eager" (1942)

A young Van Heflin looked a lot like a young Frank Albertson. Unfortunately, I could never find suitable photos for my Lookalikes thread.

scsu, I just looked up a picture of Frank Albertson, and there is somewhat a resemblence beween the two actors.

TripleHHH, Heflin and Jackman never appeared together in a film. Jackman was born in 1968 and Heflin died in 1971,

Photobucket

Heflin as President Andrew Johnson & Ruth Hussey in

"Tennessee Johnson" (1942)

Message was edited by: mongo

Photobucket

Oscar winners Heflin (Johnny Eager), Greer Garson (Mrs.Miniver), James Cagney (Yankee Doodle Dandy) & Teresa Wright (Mrs. Miniver) 1943

Hi Mongo, Thanks for spotlighting Van Heflin. He deserved the Academy Award for "johnny Eager, and I enjoyed his perfomances in "The The Strange Loves Of Marta Ivers", "Act Of Violence", "East Side West Side", and especially " "Shane" " A Woman`s World" and "3:10 to Yuma". Do you know if the ugly supporting actor Oscar that Van and Teresa Wright received in 1943 were later replaced by the statuette. The juevenille Oscar that Judy Garland received for "The Wizard Of Oz" was better looking than the plaque.

Cashette, glad that you ejoyed the Van Heflin bio.

The supporting player awards which began in 1936 were issued plaques until 1942. Beginning for the best of 1943 full size statuettes were issued.

In support of the World War II effort between 1942 and 1944, Oscars were made of plaster, to be traded in for golden statuettes after the war.

Photobucket

Heflin, Judy Garland & Richard Carlson in "Presenting Lily Mars" (1943)

Photobucket

Kirk Douglas, Heflin & Babara Stanwyck in "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers"

Photobucket

Heflin with Lizabeth Scott in "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" (1946)

Mongo, thank you for posting the "...Martha Ivers" pictures. It is truly a movie I've seen about twenty times. Stanwyck was great and Lizabeth Scott...makes my pulse race.

Your welcome, CineMaven. Although Stanwyck is my utmost favorite actress, I enjoy watching the sultry Scott and that voice gets me all the time.

Oh Mongo, I'm enjoying the pics more than I can say. I wished I'd saved a sort of long-ago (6-7 years?) Hollywood issue of Vanity Fair. There was a black and white photo, covering a page, titled "Kings of Hollywood." One of the "Kings" was Van looking marvelous in a tux and black cape, the cape flying in the breeze. Divine...

Your welcome, CineMaven. Although Stanwyck is my utmost favorite actress, I enjoy watching the sultry Scott and that voice gets me all the time.

Mongo: ;-)

Poinciana, I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the Van Heflin images. I do realize that Vanity Fair feature some amazing pictures in their magazine. I've saved a few.

Photobucket

Lana Turner, Heflin & wife Frances taking a lunch break during filming (1947)