Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

"In the Spotlight"

Mongo,

I'm often bringing up Jean Hagen around these boards. I really can't say enough good things about her. She was just great and very versatile. Love your profile of her.

Molo

Photobucket

Hagen as Lina Lamont in "Singin' in the Rain" (1952)

Photobucket

Hagen with Gene Kelly

Photobucket

Hagen with Gene Kelly & Donald O'Connor in "Singin' in the Rain"

Photobucket

Oscar nominee Hagen & Debbie Reynolds

Message was edited by: mongo

Photobucket

Hagen as Barna Forrest in "Spring Reunion" (1957)

Mongo,

Once again thanks for spotlighting Jean Hagen. Whenever she appears in a film, I am riveted by her. I don't know if she was Irish or not, but she has that wonderful Irish Look abt her. So talented...

Another lady I'm always happy to see but she did so few movies that the sightings are rare at least on tcm. Ruth Hussy.

Poinciana, I appreciate your input regarding the talened Jean Hagen.

Ruth Hussey was a charmer indeed. I recall that when she passed away and we discussed her career on the boards, her son logged on to express his thanks for remembering his mom.

Some years ago when I discovered google, I found Miss Hussy's own website. She welcomed messages from fans. I wanted to tell her how much I enjoyed her work. I decided that it would sound too icky or gushy or something and didn't do it. One of those decisions you kick yourself for.

In the Spotlight: DANE CLARK

Photobucket

The tough guy actor was born Bernard Zanville on February 26, 1915 in Brooklyn, New York.

He graduated from Cornell University and earned a law degree at St. John's University School of Law in Queens, New York.

When he had trouble finding work during the Great Depression, he worked as a boxer, baseball player, construction worker, and model.

Modeling brought him in contact with people in the arts. In needing money to finance law school he met John Garfield at a club who said, "Why don?t you become an actor, kid?" To which Dane replied, "What?s that?" He soon found out by getting a part in a play on his first audition that Garfield sent him on.

He progressed from small Broadway parts to larger ones ("Dead End", "Stage Door"), eventually taking over the role of George from Wallace Ford in the 1937 production of "Of Mice and Men", which finally brought him to Hollywood.

After bit parts in the films "The Pride of the Yankees" and "Wake Island" Clark got his big break when he was signed by Warner Bros. in 1943. He worked alongside some of his era's biggest stars, often in war movies such as "Action in the North Atlantic" (1943), his breakthrough part as sailor Johnnie Pulaski, opposite Humphrey Bogart, "Destination Tokyo" (1943) with Cary Grant, and "Pride of the Marines" (1945) with friend and fellow New Yorker John Garfield. According to Clark, Bogart gave him his stage name.

Among some of his other films are "The Very Thought of You" with Eleanor Parker, the Oscar winning short "I Won't Play" with Janis Paige often aired on TCM, and in "Hollywood Canteen" he starred as the soldier with all the Warner greats playing themselves. Other films include "God Is My Co-Pilot", "Her Kind of Man", "A Stolen Life" with Bette Davis, "That Way with Women", "Deep Valley" with Ida Lupino", "Embraceable You", "Moonrise" with Gail Russell, "Whiplash" with Alexis Smith, and "Without Honor" with Franchot Tone, Agnes Moorehead, and Laraine Day.

Though he co-starred with such luminaries as Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Bette Davis and Raymond Massey, it was his self-described "Joe Average" image which got him his parts: "They don't go much for the 'pretty boy' type [at Warner Brothers]. An average-looking guy like me has a chance to get someplace, to portray people the way they really are, without any frills."

Although at times a cocky guy with an attitude, he later regretted some of his antics in the business.

Along with such greats as John Ford, Mr. Clark was requested to direct films for the government for which he received official letters of commendation for his extraordinary work.

After leaving Warner Bros. he worked for J. Arthur Rank in London and made films such as "Highly Dangerous" with Margaret Lockwood and Trevor Howard, "The Gambler and the Lady", and "Blackout". In France he worked with Simone Signoret in "The Hunted". He also taught Yves Montand his first song in English, "That?s the Glory of Love."

A film he was proud of was "Go, Man, Go!" with Sidney Poitier, in which Clark played Abe Saperstein who organized the Harlem Globetrotters basketball team.

He worked in the early days of live TV and over the years guest starred in innumerable television shows such as The Twilight Zone in the episode "The Prime Mover", "The Name of the Game", "I Spy", "Cannon", "Police Story", "Police Woman", "The Rookies", "The Mod Squad", "Born Free", "Hawaii Five-O", and "Highway to Heaven".

He also played Lieutenant Tragg in the short-lived revival of the "Perry Mason" television series in 1973.

His final film in 1988 was "Last Rites" as Don Carlo with Tom Berringer.

Dane Clark resided on both coasts having a home in Los Angeles and an apartment in New York City. His career spanned over 50 years; he truly exemplified the consummate professional actor.

Clark was married twice. His first wife Margot died after 29 years of marriage and his second wife Geraldine survived him after 27 years. There is no mention of any children.

Dane Clark, renowned star of film, television and stage, died on Friday, September 11, 1998 in Los Angeles after a prolonged illness. He was 83 years old.

The actor has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Thanks for that spotlight on Dane Clark, Mongo! I had no idea he held a law degree,

that's very cool. I always thought of him as a less famous John Garfield type. Has

TCM ever aired "Highly Dangerous"? I like Margaret Lockwood and am intrigued by

the idea of Dane Clark in a British milieu.

Glad you enjoyed the profile, Miss G. Dane Clark was indeed in the Garfield mold (they were good friends).

I'm not certain if the movie "Highly Dangerous" was on TCM. Perhaps one of co-members could answer that.

Photobucket

Clark (right) with fellow actors Robert Alda (left) and Robert Hutton (center)