Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Military comedies

TerryS

I'm new to these message boards, and since this subject is among my favorite genres, I'll write about it. My service in the Navy makes me biased toward Navy themed films. McHale's Navy (not the Tom Arnold version), Father Goose, Hot Shots! (and among serious fare) Final Countdown, Top Gun, Few Good Men among others. The other services are represented as favorites as well - Tank starring James Garner, 1941 with Dan Aykroyd and No Time For Sergeants with Andy Griffith. One of my all-time favorites is Cary Grant & Tony Curtis in Operation Petticoat. TCM has shown this many times and I have it on DVD. Does anybody know if the 70s made-for-TV remake - Life In The Pink - with John Astin (TV's Gomez Addams) in the Cary Grant role is available publicly? The movie served as a pilot for a short-lived Operation Petticoat TV series. I remember the series introduced to America Jamie Lee Curtis and Jim Varney - who gained fame later as Ernest P. Worrell in a series of films.

Have you ever seen The Francis talking Mule movies? I like the one about Donald as a cadet. I liked Operation Petticoat and No Time For Sergeants especially the scene where Andy was saying h e l l o like it was a phone. I had an uncle that was in the navy during WWII. By the Way Welcome to the board!

Christine

• 3 months later...

I've not seen "In the Navy," with Abbott and Costello, but my family enjoys "Buck Privates" and "Buck Privates Come Home."

Also didn't Bob Hope do a navy-themed comedy with Mickey Rooney as a potential boxer, perhaps called "Off Limits"?