Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Good Sam (1948) w/ Gary Cooper & Ann Sheridan

pandorainmay

Does anyone know if the movie Good Sam (1948) is no longer shown on tv during the holidays because of some legal problem? It was produced by Rainbow productions under the direction of Leo McCarey and distributed by RKO. I realize that there was a poor remake w/ Jack Lemmon called Good Neighbor Sam made in the '60s and that the originals are sometimes pulled from the market with the release of the remake, but I don't think that this is the case, since I last saw the original in the late '70s, early '80s. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Like quite a few McCarey films, it may not have added up to a completely successful movie artistically, but it had moments that I still remember, even though it's been decades since I last saw it. For instance, the wry expressions of Ms. Sheridan, whose character borders on losing it several times with her hapless spouse. A scene in which Sheridan & Cooper seem to be wrestling, and an extended sequence in a bar as well as some fine mugging by Cooper. It's a nice little movie. Wish that TCM had unearthed it for the holidays, but c'est la vie...Guess I'll have to wait for that Ann Sheridan boxed set that oughta be coming down the pike of my dreams one of these days, hmmm?

I'm not sure why it's not shown. And Ann Sheridan is on my list also.

they do have a VHS of "Good Sam" @ Amazon.

Try here:http://www.amazon.com/Good-Sam-Leo-McCarey/dp/6300208397/sr=8-1/qid=1164495765/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-6992434-5029514?ie=UTF8&s=video

vallo

I am glad I still have my vhs copy. To some Good Sam is a poor mans It's a Wonderful Life, but Gary Cooper is fine and well as for Ann Sheridan amazing as always. Why TCM doesn't ever play this film is strange. Not sure if they ever played it once. I think in the 90's they played it on TCM. I bought the video back in the 80's. I need to transfer it to dvd. Maybe in 2008 they will do a 60th anniversary edition of this minor classic christmas movie on dvd and in Hi-Def too.

I think it's unwatcheable. Strangely, although the Ameriical Film Institute Catalog (the most reliable reference) lists the film at "112-114" minutes, I remember taping it off (the then) WNEW television in New York maybe twenty-five years ago, and having it exceed 125 minutes with the commercials cut out (the 2-hr. cassette ran out). Whether there is a long-lost preview version that got out into the marketplace, I have no idea, but it'd be intertesting to try to find out...