Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Announces August 2016 Guest Host for Robert Osborne

Barton_Keyes

As Robert Osborne's leave of absence stretches into its sixth month, it was announced yesterday that Michael Feinstein, a friend of TCM and of Osborne personally, will be substituting for the ailing TCM host on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights in August.

13731679_1337044856324758_69681107577593

Michael Feinstein, pictured in studio for Turner Classic Movies on July 27, will be filling in for Robert Osborne on TCM in August 2016.

Feinstein, a Grammy-nominated recording artist and renowned archivist and interpreter of the Great American Songbook, will surely be a familiar face to TCM fans. Feinstein was previously the channel's guest programmer in January 2015, appearing alongside Robert Osborne. He subsequently hosted TCM's March 2015 Spotlight devoted to 1960s roadshow musicals. Additionally, Feinstein has attended the TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood on several occasions, notably performing a rendition of "The More I See You" at Robert Osborne's 20th Anniversary Tribute in April 2014.

• Like 3

As Robert Osborne's leave of absence stretches into its sixth month, it was announced yesterday that Michael Feinstein, a friend of TCM and of Osborne personally, will be substituting for the ailing TCM host on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights in August.

gpmichaelfeinstein_apt_678x230_121620140

Feinstein, a Grammy-nominated recording artist and renowned archivist and interpreter of the Great American Songbook, will surely be a familiar face to TCM fans. Feinstein was previously the channel's guest programmer in January 2015, appearing alongside Robert Osborne. He subsequently hosted TCM's March 2015 Spotlight devoted to 1960s roadshow musicals. Additionally, Feinstein has attended the TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood on several occasions, notably performing a rendition of "The More I See You" at Robert Osborne's 20th Anniversary Tribute in April 2014.

No indication hat he knows anything about classic films other than musicals, is there?

No indication hat he knows anything about classic films other than musicals, is there?

I started out with classic musicals, that's a great place to start and a great place to end.

This guy worked directly with THE GERSWINS! He worked as their curator and historian. They introduced him to all those old Golden Age of Hollywood Studio people who were still around. More than likely, he probably spent time with Oscar Levant, Vincente Minnelli, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra.

He's somebody that really knows his way around "Old" Hollywood.

Also, don't forget that artists like Minnelli and Sinatra made some exciting non-musical classic films - - like Some Came Running.

Plus quite a number of Great American Popular Songs came from non-musical classic movies. And this guy knows them all.

Feinstein is a great choice!

• Like 2

i like Feinstein and think he's a great choice, but honestly the month guest hosts filling in for Osborne have been so marginalized- I think they're only on Sat and Sun nights, and since I usually don't stay up for all four features- i just end up seeing a couple of introes from them a week.

I'm not a fan but that really doesn't matter. He is a big fan of classic films based on the tv series PBS did about him a couple of years ago. His home had a lot of old movies posters. Since it's been a while I can't remember what all he collected, but a lot of his collections involved movies & related items.

Gotta say I've always found Mr. Feinstein JUST a wee bit too "unctuous" for my tastes, BUT overall I think he's probably a good fit for this little gig.

(...and doubt his knowledge of classic film ends at just musicals)

So what? This is TCM, not the GASC.

Oh no! Not THAT!

Gotta say though, the only time I ever get THAT while watchin' TCM is after my wife makes that lentil soup of hers.

(...and then it's, ooo-WEE, "somebody strike a match time"!)

• Like 1

Hmmm...all this latest talk of "personality" has now got me wonderin' if Lloyd Price's 1959 hit is IN that "Great American Songbook"???

Ya'd think it WOULD be, wouldn't ya.

(...and I wonder if Feinstein ever tickles the ivories while croonin' THAT one?)

• Like 2

Gotta say I've always found Mr. Feinstein JUST a wee bit too "unctuous" for my tastes, BUT overall I think he's probably a good fit for this little gig.

I understand Mr. Feinstein is a big fan of "Petticoat Unction".

• Like 1

I understand Mr. Feinstein is a big fan of "Petticoat Unction".

YEAH?! Well, SOMETHIN' tellin' me it's probably NOT for the same reason I'LL sometimes pause on those MeTV returns for a few minutes while channel surfing, MissW....hoping to catch a glimpse of that hot little brunette Lori Saunders...

856a915cd81a4e10f51a9c5802135e74.jpg

(...oh...wait...you said "Petticoat UNCTION" here, didn't ya...never mind then)

;)

Hey, Dargs,  I was merely quoting your earlier post her. I don't want to get too rambunctious about this matter.

Hey, Dargs,  I was merely quoting your earlier post her. I don't want to get too rambunctious about this matter.

I knew you were, MissW. I got it.

(...it's just that your little pun reminded me of that HOT BRUNETTE on that otherwise pretty dumb old sitcom)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings