Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Announces August 2016 Guest Host for Robert Osborne

Is RO EVER coming back???

I think if he isn't, if his health won't allow it, they should be straightforward with the TCM audience and let us know. By this time it's what everyone's wondering anyway.

However, I suppose if there is a chance that Mr.Osborne will recover and return to his position as the main host of TCM,  or if he wants to wait and see if that might happen, he might not want to give up and retire just yet. Maybe he's adopting a "wait and see" attitude. But how long will we have to wait before we see?

• Like 2

So you would have no compunction about dating her?

Saaaaay, is THIS now some kind'a "give the guy a dose of his own medicine" thing you're pullin' on me now, MissW?!

(...look lady, IF you're tired of all my lame puns around here, just come out and SAY so, OKAY?!) ;)

LOL

i have to admit, Dargo's post this morning sent me over to dictionary.com to look up the word (i had a pretty good idea what it meant, but the specific definition eluded me.)

thought i'd share: (defuinition #3 is my favorite by far)

[uhngk-choo-uh s]

adjective
characterized by excessive piousness or moralistic fervor, especially in an affected manner; excessively smooth, suave, or smug.
of the nature of or characteristic of an unguent or ointment; oily; greasy.
having an oily or soapy feel, as certain minerals.

TCM is undoubtedly respecting Robert Osborne's desire for privacy regarding any health issues.

My guess, he's hopes to return once his health allows it again (assuming that it eventually will). In the meanwhile we wait.

Robert Osborne has always been a class act, and the majority of TCM fans, I suspect, are classy enough, in return, to give him some time now to make a recovery. Heck, what choice do they have, anyway?

• Like 2

So what? This is TCM, not the GASC.

His home had a lot of old movies posters.

I can relate. I have a few myself. They are great ice breakers and let people know what you're into.

So what? This is TCM, not the GASC.

And how many songs were introduced to the public through classic films ? 

They already have Muller who is an expert on noir. Now they have someone who's an expert on music. Why not try to cover all bases ?

• Like 2

i have to admit, Dargo's post this morning sent me over to dictionary.com to look up the word (i had a pretty good idea what it meant, but the specific definition eluded me.)

thought i'd share: (defuinition #3 is my favorite by far)

[uhngk-choo-uh s]

adjective
characterized by excessive piousness or moralistic fervor, especially in an affected manner; excessively smooth, suave, or smug.
of the nature of or characteristic of an unguent or ointment; oily; greasy.
having an oily or soapy feel, as certain minerals.

Yep Lorna, your dictionary definition of the adjective I ascribed to Mr. Feinstein was suggested on my part in more a figurative manner, and specifically in the manner of definition #1 up there...and even more specifically in regard to the "affected manner" and "excessively smooth, suave" portion of that.

(...I dunno why, but that's how he's always kind'a struck me...oh, and I don't think he can sing all that well either, at least I'VE never been all that crazy about his voice anyway, but I DO think he's pretty good on that piano, AND as I mentioned earlier, think he'll be okay in this little TCM gig they've given him)

Is RO EVER coming back???

I've been told by a friend who works as a segment producer at TCM that Robert Osborne is dealing with a health issue right now, which has turned out to be more serious than he initially expected, necessitating that he take a significant amount of time off.

But TCM still fully expects Osborne to be back on-air in some capacity eventually. Right now, they're just taking it on a month-to-month basis and no return date for Osborne has been set. We don't know what Osborne's health issue is, and by all accounts he wants to keep it that way, but at any rate he was well enough in June to record his voiceover tribute to Olivia De Havilland, which has been airing periodically this month.

And as I have mentioned before, Osborne has remained quite active in an editorial capacity for TCM during his current leave of absence. In addition to his monthly column in TCM's Now Playing magazine, Osborne has also been responsible for writing the wraparounds for all of his substitute hosts (Madeleine Stowe, Dave Karger and Michael Feinstein). This allows Osborne to continue sharing his passion for film and justifies his continuing to earn a salary even if he's not appearing on camera anymore.

• Like 4

I've been told by a friend who works as a segment producer at TCM that Robert Osborne is dealing with a health issue right now, which has turned out to be more serious than he initially expected, necessitating that he take a significant amount of time off.

But TCM still fully expects Osborne to be back on-air in some capacity eventually. Right now, they're just taking it on a month-to-month basis and no return date for Osborne has been set. We don't know what Osborne's health issue is, and by all accounts he wants to keep it that way, but at any rate he was well enough in June to record his voiceover tribute to Olivia De Havilland, which has been airing periodically this month.

And as I have mentioned before, Osborne has remained quite active in an editorial capacity for TCM during his current leave of absence. In addition to his monthly column in TCM's Now Playing magazine, Osborne has also been responsible for writing the wraparounds for all of his substitute hosts (Madeleine Stowe, Dave Karger and Michael Feinstein). This allows Osborne to continue sharing his passion for film and justifies his continuing to earn a salary even if he's not appearing on camera anymore.

Yeah Barton, and out here in Arizona, WE'VE got an 84 year old dude who won't retire EITHER, although of course HIS line of work is law enforcement...but STILL!

LOL

Sorry, couldn't resist. Thanks for your update, and HERE'S hopin' at least BOB gets healthy soon and returns to his on-camera job!

(...and contrary to that OTHER 84 y/o dude out here in AZ who should've retired gracefully at least a freakin' decade ago...sorry, there I go again, huh!)

LOL

• Like 1

Saaaaay, is THIS now some kind'a "give the guy a dose of his own medicine" thing you're pullin' on me now, MissW?!

(...look lady, IF you're tired of all my lame puns around here, just come out and SAY so, OKAY?!) ;)

LOL

Sorry, Dargs. I won't munction it anymore.

Hmmm...all this latest talk of "personality" has now got me wonderin' if Lloyd Price's 1959 hit is IN that "Great American Songbook"???

Ya'd think it WOULD be, wouldn't ya.

(...and I wonder if Feinstein ever tickles the ivories while croonin' THAT one?)

A free membership in the TCM Inner Circle to anyone who can name anything else that Lloyd Price has ever done record-wise.

A free membership in the TCM Inner Circle to anyone who can name anything else that Lloyd Price has ever done record-wise.

Membership to the Inner Circie is already free. You must be thinking about membership costs for the Backlot.

I can definitely go with this choice.

I have read no other responses so far concerning his knowledge of classic films or other issues. My contention has always been that the host be either very knowledgeable about films or be a very intelligent person who can discuss films. On this count, having seen Feinstein discussing his knowledge of music and the history of said subject, I am sure that he will make a most excellent choice as a host for a complementary subject, whether it is his main avenue of entertainment expertise or not. This is a person with an appreciation for fine work of the past no matter in what direction it takes him and he is also one to collect and research things with aplomb and mental sophistication.

Bravo, TCM!

Now on to read what others here have to say about this topic...

• Like 1

Down, we have in our family 45 record collection, the original version of "Stagger Lee" with the more violent lyrics.

It's a little beat up and has ring wear but still plays well.

Does this count for anything or any free memberships to anything gratis, courtesy of you?

Gotta say I've always found Mr. Feinstein JUST a wee bit too "unctuous" for my tastes, BUT overall I think he's probably a good fit for this little gig.

(...and doubt his knowledge of classic film ends at just musicals)

"unctuous", Dargo???

Youu uused a word with three "uuu's, superfluous or not?

Uuunbelievable!

Down, we have in our family 45 record collection, the original version of "Stagger Lee" with the more violent lyrics.

It's a little beat up and has ring wear but still plays well.

Does this count for anything or any free memberships to anything gratis, courtesy of you?

What it counts for is that I am red-faced with embarrassment. "Stagger Lee" is better-known than "Personality". If I was a member of the TCM Inner Circle, I'd deserve to have my membership revoked.

• Like 1

What it counts for is that I am red-faced with embarrassment. "Stagger Lee" is better-known than "Personality". If I was a member of the TCM Inner Circle, I'd deserve to have my membership revoked.

Down, the Columbia Record Club wants that Stetson hat back that you got with your membership for the Lloyd Price and Slim Whitman Collections!

Stagger Lee's more violent lyrics as done by Lloyd Price:

"The night was clear

And the moon was yellow

And the leaves came tumbling down

I was standing on the corner

When I heard my bulldog bark

He was barkin' at the two men who were gamblin'

In the dark

It was Stagger Lee and Billy

Two men who gambled late

Stagger Lee threw seven

Billy swore that he threw eight

Stagger Lee told Billy

I can't let you go with that

You have won all my money and my brand new

Stetson hat

Stagger Lee went home

And he got his forty-four

Said, I'm goin' to the barroom just to pay that

Debt I owe

Stagger Lee went to the barroom

And he stood across the barroom door

He said, nobody move and he pulled his

Forty-four

Stagger Lee, cried Billy

Oh, please don't take my life

I've got three little children and a very

Sickly wife

Stagger Lee shot Billy

Oh, he shot that poor boy so bad

'Till the bullet came through Billy and it broke the bartender's glass"

Down, the Columbia Record Club wants that Stetson hat back that you got with your membership for the Lloyd Price and Slim Whitman Collections!

Stagger Lee's more violent lyrics as done by Lloyd Price:

"The night was clear

And the moon was yellow

And the leaves came tumbling down

I was standing on the corner

When I heard my bulldog bark

He was barkin' at the two men who were gamblin'

In the dark

It was Stagger Lee and Billy

Two men who gambled late

Stagger Lee threw seven

Billy swore that he threw eight

Stagger Lee told Billy

I can't let you go with that

You have won all my money and my brand new

Stetson hat

Stagger Lee went home

And he got his forty-four

Said, I'm goin' to the barroom just to pay that

Debt I owe

Stagger Lee went to the barroom

And he stood across the barroom door

He said, nobody move and he pulled his

Forty-four

Stagger Lee, cried Billy

Oh, please don't take my life

I've got three little children and a very

Sickly wife

Stagger Lee shot Billy

Oh, he shot that poor boy so bad

'Till the bullet came through Billy and it broke the bartender's glass"

Michael Feinstein did a version of this song when I saw him at CBGBs.

• Like 1

I can relate. I have a few myself. They are great ice breakers and let people know what you're into.

And how many songs were introduced to the public through classic films ? 

They already have Muller who is an expert on noir. Now they have someone who's an expert on music. Why not try to cover all bases ?

Let's not put Muller into the same category of expertise on a subject, as Feinstein.

Muller didn't even know who Ann Sothern was at one of his symposiums.

Let's not put Muller into the same category of expertise on a subject, as Feinstein.

Muller didn't even know who Ann Sothern was at one of his symposiums.

Well, she wasn't in many noirs, but she WAS in THE BLUE GARDENIA, apparently not a favorite of the Edster.

• Like 1

Well, she wasn't in many noirs, but she WAS in THE BLUE GARDENIA, apparently not a favorite of the Edster.

When one has no idea of the career of Ann Sothern, beyond one film noir movie, then it is revealing as to their movie knowledge in general, Down.

The Edster sounds like the human version of the Edsel, and we know that was a failure!