Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Announces August 2016 Guest Host for Robert Osborne

>Just to be serious for a minute: (I'll try not to be unctuous) 

>The only thing I'm not sure of is if the Mankman wants the job.

Indeed.  Isn't there something about finding the right time to "step off the stage?"  That time is long past for Mr. Osborne.

Like you, I mean no disrespect, he has been the "TCM brand" for a long time -- but at some point you either are, or are not, the TCM host.

One of the odd challenges of finding someone to fill Robert's shoes is that "people of a certain age," who were around even

at the end of the studio system, simply no longer exist.  He was somewhat unique in his connection to classic Hollywood as well as

his acting/hosting ability.  But Osborne 2.0 will have to be different.

To me, that's what makes Ben perfect.  He has a completely different style, but being a Mankiewicz gives him cred that few others could claim.

I am tired of the slew of "guest hosts" and other wannabees. Did I mention "brand" before.  Sure did.  And TCM threatens to water down its brand by not officially naming a new host, giving that person the major slots and sticking with that person.  And here's the thing about using actors as guests;  they mostly suck at it.  These are people who are used to learning lines and being OTHER people -- and of being directed.  I don't know how these things get produced, but I'm willing to bet that the producers and directors are not in the position to say, "Hey, Madeleine, let's do another take...."  A film director, sure, but not some TCM staffer.   I still shudder when I think of how horrible Matthew Broderick was, despite his movie and Broadway skills.

So, bravo to you, Miss Wonderly.  Now just tell me that you're not going to go around the room straightening things again.....

• Like 4

I would love to discuss this actress that I hate so much.

Can you please tell us who is this actress?     If I had to guess I would say it was Kate Hepburn.   I say this because I believe she is the most polarizing major star at this forum.

Anyhow, I don't want to keep guessing so please spill the beans.   :)

• Like 1

Indeed.  Isn't there something about finding the right time to "step off the stage?"  That time is long past for Mr. Osborne.

Like you, I mean no disrespect, he has been the "TCM brand" for a long time -- but at some point you either are, or are not, the TCM host.

One of the odd challenges of finding someone to fill Robert's shoes is that "people of a certain age," who were around even

at the end of the studio system, simply no longer exist.  He was somewhat unique in his connection to classic Hollywood as well as

his acting/hosting ability.  But Osborne 2.0 will have to be different.

To me, that's what makes Ben perfect.  He has a completely different style, but being a Mankiewicz gives him cred that few others could claim.

I am tired of the slew of "guest hosts" and other wannabees. Did I mention "brand" before.  Sure did.  And TCM threatens to water down its brand by not officially naming a new host, giving that person the major slots and sticking with that person.  And here's the thing about using actors as guests;  they mostly suck at it.  These are people who are used to learning lines and being OTHER people -- and of being directed.  I don't know how these things get produced, but I'm willing to bet that the producers and directors are not in the position to say, "Hey, Madeleine, let's do another take...."  A film director, sure, but not some TCM staffer.   I still shudder when I think of how horrible Matthew Broderick was, despite his movie and Broadway skills.

So, bravo to you, Miss Wonderly.  Now just tell me that you're not going to go around the room straightening things again.....

I like the Mank also since he's irreverent.

• Like 1

I like the Mank also since he's irreverent.

Yep, like I've said before around here, Ben's got it all! The intelligence, the wit, the knowledge AND the "pedigree".

Including unfortunately that nasally voice of his. BUT, I'm now getting to the point where I've somewhat gotten used to it and it doesn't bug me quite as much anymore.

(...still though I have to admit often times I hear him say something like, "The lead AAK-dress in this movie...", I do my Ben impression and repeat the word "AKK-dress" out loud immediately following hearing him say that...Yep, but then again I CAN do SO many impressions of OTHER notable people TOO, ya know...you folks should hear me...I'm pretty good!)

LOL

Just to be serious for a minute: (I'll try not to be unctuous) 

I respect Robert Osborne and appreciate what he does and how he does it as the main host representing Turner Classic Movies.

Still, the guy is 84 years old. I don't quite understand why he doesn't want to retire, especially if he has health issues. Yes, clearly he loves old movies and talking about them, and sharing his knowledge about them. And I can understand why he'd be reluctant to give that up.

On the other hand, he's been away from his spot as TCM host, on and off, for several years now, I believe due to the aforesaid health issues. I'm not unsympathetic to that, but I also think it's plain that he is probably going to continue in a frail state of health for the rest of his life.  (Sorry if that sounds brutal.)

Maybe a good compromise would be for Mr. Osborne to continue at TCM in a special capacity, maybe "Robert Osborne's Picks" one night a week, something like that. (Or, if that's too much, one night a month?)

Meanwhile, I say let's have Ben step in as the new permanent TCM host, including the Essentials and all the other programming spots Robert O. did.

I know this might be controversial, that a lot of people don't like Ben Mankiewicz (and I'm not talking about his political leanings, I'm talking about his demeanour, etc.) I always liked Mr. Mankiewicz and would be happy to see him replace Robert Osborne as the main TCM host. It seems a logical step to me. I'd much rather see him than Michael Feinstein or Dave Karger (who the hell is he?) or that Tiffany babe.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if the Mankman wants the job.

Well, what else is Mank doing that he wouldnt want the job? Dave Karger worked for Entertainment Weekly for many years....

Well, when WE'RE irreverent, the thread gets deleted.

Well then evidently the moderator has yet to run across my post down there where I so irreverently made fun of Ben's nasally pronunciation of words like "AKK-dress"..err..I mean "actress", huh!

Just to be serious for a minute: (I'll try not to be unctuous) 

I respect Robert Osborne and appreciate what he does and how he does it as the main host representing Turner Classic Movies.

Still, the guy is 84 years old. I don't quite understand why he doesn't want to retire, especially if he has health issues. Yes, clearly he loves old movies and talking about them, and sharing his knowledge about them. And I can understand why he'd be reluctant to give that up.

On the other hand, he's been away from his spot as TCM host, on and off, for several years now, I believe due to the aforesaid health issues. I'm not unsympathetic to that, but I also think it's plain that he is probably going to continue in a frail state of health for the rest of his life.  (Sorry if that sounds brutal.)

Maybe a good compromise would be for Mr. Osborne to continue at TCM in a special capacity, maybe "Robert Osborne's Picks" one night a week, something like that. (Or, if that's too much, one night a month?)

Meanwhile, I say let's have Ben step in as the new permanent TCM host, including the Essentials and all the other programming spots Robert O. did.

I know this might be controversial, that a lot of people don't like Ben Mankiewicz (and I'm not talking about his political leanings, I'm talking about his demeanour, etc.) I always liked Mr. Mankiewicz and would be happy to see him replace Robert Osborne as the main TCM host. It seems a logical step to me. I'd much rather see him than Michael Feinstein or Dave Karger (who the hell is he?) or that Tiffany babe.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if the Mankman wants the job.

This is spot on & I also hope Osborne stays onin some capacity he sure would be missed.

Well then evidently the moderator has yet to run across my post down there where I so irreverently made fun of Ben's nasally pronunciation of words like "AKK-dress"..err..I mean "actress", huh!

..and another thread bites the dust.......

• Like 1

I was looking at PATTERNS this morning on Amazon Prime. It's the one where Everett Sloane hires Van Heflin who quickly becomes the corporate heir apparent. There are all these scenes where Ed Begley is getting forced out...where Sloane can't come out and fire him but is hoping he'll just quit. This of course puts Van Heflin in an awkward position.

I couldn't help but think of Osborne when I was watching Begley on screen.

I was looking at PATTERNS this morning on Amazon Prime. It's the one where Everett Sloane hires Van Heflin who quickly becomes the corporate heir apparent. There are all these scenes where Ed Begley is getting forced out...where Sloane can't come out and fire him but is hoping he'll just quit. This of course puts Van Heflin in an awkward position.

I couldn't help but think of Osborne when I was watching Begley on screen.

You're implying that Osborne's absences are not because of illness, and are not voluntary.

okay, and then last night, with the GIANT CANDY PINK BOW TIE it was like watching Data cosplay as Pee Wee Herman. 

Feinstein is giving it the All-American try though- I think he's not used to reading copy on air (so to speak), but his heart's in it and that's what counts.

(...and not that I'm an expert in such matters, but he would also benefit from a quick ctrl-alt-delete to bring up his task manager. I think he's got too many programs running at once.)

okay, and then last night, with the GIANT CANDY PINK BOW TIE it was like watching Data cosplay as Pee Wee Herman. 

Feinstein is giving it the All-American try though- I think he's not used to reading copy on air (so to speak), but his heart's in it and that's what counts.

(...and not that I'm an expert in such matters, but he would also benefit from a quick ctrl-alt-delete to bring up his task manager. I think he's got too many programs running at once.)

If he's reading copy on air that someone else wrote, that renders moot the issue of his knowledge of classic films. Perhaps a Ted Baxter type would be the ideal host.

If he's reading copy on air that someone else wrote, that renders moot the issue of his knowledge of classic films. Perhaps a Ted Baxter type would be the ideal host.

Commence the thawing of Peter Graves...

My personal theory on this is that Feinstein and Os are friends, and Os is allegedly still writing the introes and outroes, so Feinstein is trying to follow them precisely to the word in deference and out of affection to Osborne...and he's not totally used having to read.

i have faith he'll loosen up.

Commence the thawing of Peter Graves...

My personal theory on this is that Feinstein and Os are friends, and Os is allegedly still writing the introes and outroes, so Feinstein is trying to follow them to the word in deference and out of affection...

STILL writing the intros and outros? The consensus on these boards was that he NEVER wrote the intros and outros.

STILL writing the intros and outros? The consensus on these boards was that he NEVER wrote the intros and outros.

oh crap.

i thought i read it somewhere that Osborne was writing them while "on sabbatical".

oh well, it's been so quiet here, we could use a fracas.

either way, i daresay Feinstein is reading something someone else wrote...

oh crap.

i thought i read it somewhere that Osborne was writing them while "on sabbatical".

oh well, it's been so quiet here, we could use a fracas.

either way, i daresay Feinstein is reading something someone else wrote...

If Osborne WAS writing them, then he has to squarely take the blame for all the errors.

I think there is some confusion about who writes the hosting comments. TCM has employees who research information and write the text that is read on camera by the hosts before and after a movies airs. It's fair and accurate to say that sometimes those people don't do all their homework and careless errors are made. It doesn't happen often, just occasionally. Of course, there are viewers who scrutinize everything TCM does, so when a gaffe is made, it is usually reported on the message boards. But hopefully, it makes the research/writing team strive harder to do a better job in the future. 

As for Osborne himself, while he's off screen, we know that he is still writing a monthly column for the Now Playing magazine. However, those columns might have been written well in advance. 

Maybe not everything. But he would sometimes interject his opinions or anecdotes about a film or star he had met etc.......So he had some input.

I saw a bit of him doing an intro as I put a movie on tape this evening, and he definitely had a Pee-Wee Herman by way of robot vibe going.

• Like 1

I saw a bit of him doing an intro as I put a movie on tape this evening, and he definitely had a Pee-Wee Herman by way of robot vibe going.

There is a continual theme on these boards of the hosts seeming robotic or acting like robots. Why don't they just save some money and use a real robot?

• Like 1