Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name that movie . . please!

klondike

Calling all celluloid gumshoes!

Originally posted this in a blog thread over on the Morlocks page, but as no flashlights fired-up, thought I'd walk it over here

My "lost" movie is a creaky old post-apocalypse cheapie that I must've caught on daytime TV in '67 or '68; I saw only about the last 15 / 20 minutes (always the best formula for losing a film's ID, n'est ce pas?), but recall the plot centered on survivors of a global holocaust struggling to escape to other places (countries, continents?) by immense tunnels. It was either in black & white or a very poor-processed color, involved a lot of outdoor, nighttime scenes, and the dialogue had a decidely stilted, wooden, almost preachy quality, which I've come to think of as "50's-Brit-International" . . . much the same feel as "Night of the Demon".

When I stumbled over the Richard Dix vehicle "The Transatlantic Tunnel", I thought I had it nailed, but despite certain commonalities of plot, this one was an entirely different sort of film, actually just a thinly varnished anti-German paranoia rant from 1935.

Can anybody track this mutt down for me?

Sorry Klondike, can't help you with the movie you're seeking.

I just couldn't ignore your statement: "actually just a thinly varnished anti-German paranoia rant from 1935." There was nothing paranoiac in ranting against Germany in 1935. I don't mean to start a war here, but that's tantamount to saying "those poor pilots who flew their planes into the Twin Towers."

Anne

Mrsl, of all the labels I might deserve, "germanophile" is hardly one of them, and I've seldom been accused of being a political liberal, a foreign apologist, or a "dove".

In "The Transatlantic Tunnel", the American & British governments decide to finance the construction of a massive transit-tunnel connecting the UK & the US under the Atlantic sea-bed, to better defend each other from the possible aggressions of other nations, who might either attack them, or turn to them for support in other conflicts.

Their rationale for this "connective union", in scenes involving impassioned speeches to both Congress & Parliament, was their identical lineage from, and commitment to, the English language, Protestant faith and descent from British ancestors.

In short, it swiftly became a propoganda piece for Isolationism, the promotion of strictly WASP values & the unconstitutional manipulation of American government by a foreign power.

Your assumption that my opinion of the warped political philosophy of a 71-yr-old movie might hold some accurate reflection of my feelings r.e. the 9/11 tragedy, means that my original post got itself hijacked just as surely as United Flight 93.

Hopefully, rightful control has now been regained!

Now, may I ask again, does anyone know the name of my Lost Movie?

Anyway, if you like old political films, see ?Men Must Fight?, 1933, which predicts WW II, and everyone watches it on TV as New York is attacked by the Eurasian forces!

Also see ?The Man Who Reclaimed His Head?, with Claude Rains, about how European capitalists planned WW I.

I did something this morning that I truly have regretted all day. Since joining this board, I have always advocated freedom of opinion. I replied to a post in a manner which is unworthy of me. I took umbrage at a personal statement and let my Italian blood go wild, even as I knew I was wrong in doing so. I read it three time to be sure I did not misunderstand, and replied with a rude remark. I apologize for offending, and will curb my opinions better from now on,

Anne

Their rationale for this "connective union", in scenes involving impassioned speeches to both Congress & Parliament, was their identical lineage from, and commitment to, the English language, Protestant faith and descent from British ancestors.

In the end, it didn't take "foreign manipulation" for all the above to come to pass in real-life America, only the manipulation of the Republican Party by the evangelical Christian lobby (who also managed to take Tony Blair along for the ride).

Anne;

Thank you for the candor & sincerity of your last post, and rest assured that no apology is needed, at least to me.

After my first reply, I went back to my original post, and after re-reading myself, decided that within the context of 1930's Europe, the phrase "anti-German paranoia rant", though not inaccurate, was probably just a tad insesitive.

To my experience, sure, Italian blood can run a little "wild" sometimes (my father-in-law is a Boston-born Sicilian), then again, most days it doesn't take too much to get my Irish up, either, and in the grand scheme o' life, maybe those are good things!

Anne, on a personal level, I'd rather you didn't curb your opinions, as it's MY opinion that one of the things that makes these Boards so much fun is that just as in being an American citizen, you're pretty much free to state ANY opinion you might have, and, politeness in place, the Devil may take the hind-most!

Have yourself a Great Day, and we'll chat again somewhere up the road!

Klondike