Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Funniest Romantic Comedies

Guest TCMhost-Claire

Guest TCMhost-Claire

The handsome leading men and great beauties of film are not always the great comedians, and vice versa. Can you imagine Elizabeth Taylor doing slapstick? Or Groucho Marx trying to be a ladies man? Some actors and actresses, like Cary Grant or Katherine Hepburn, are able to do both with ease. What actors do you think should NEVER try comedy? What comedians should never attempt being romantic?

Guest cfrances

I think the classic romantic comedies were engaging because of the quick, witty dialog. I recently saw His Gal Friday again and the pace is unrelenting. Also, the romance in that seems to really take a back seat to the comedy: it adds fuel to the comic fire, and creates a certain degree of dramatic tension, but as long as the man and woman end up together at the end, there really doesn't need to be a great emphasis on romance throughout the movie.

Guest maggiemay

One actress who I think should never do comedy is Meryl Streep. I saw her in Death Becomes Her, She-Devil and Postcards from the Edge and she was awful in all three! She simply doesn't have the feel for comedy. She doesn't have the timing, and she never seems to let herself go--it's like she's afraid to be silly or detract in any way from her Beautiful Serious Actress persona. Instead she comes off sort of snotty and shrill (in my oh-so-humble opinion).

Guest Alix

Does this one qualify? It's certainly romantic, with several love stories going on all at one time--Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth, Mr. Bingley and Jane, Mr. Wickersham and Lydia. It's also funny. Greer Garson gets some wonderfully amusing lines, as does the actress who plays her mother. If this movie counts, then I nominate it as my favorite romantic comedy. If not....well, then it SHOULD be romantic comedy!

Guest couchpotato

I don't care what the critics had to say about it . . . this is such a cute, funny movie! I've watched it dozens of times, and still laugh out loud. Meg Ryan is adoreable, and Kevin Kline is funny in spite of a bad french accent.

Guest Audreyheps

Hi guys! Can one of you HELP ME? Please I'm looking for Wild and Wonderful by Michael Anderson with Tony Curtis.

Guest TCMhost-Claire

This movie should be available through Blockbuster. It's listed on their website, although it's not available for sale online.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BlueAngel

My votes for funniest romantic comedies would have to go to The Philadelphia Story, The Lady Eve, When Harry Met Sally and Addicted to Love. And one actress who just can't seem to pull off comedy (in my opinion) is Debra Winger. I saw her in Forget Paris with Billy Crystal and something with Robert Redford and Darryl Hannah (can't think of the name) and I just don't think she has much comic timing.

Guest TCMhost-Joy

BlueAngel, that movie with Robert Redford, Debra Winger and Daryl Hannah is Legal Eagles. And I share your opinion about Debra Winger. Forget Paris wasn't difficult to forget...even while watching it.

Guest elcage

"Palm Springs (or, was it "Beach")Wedding" (I'm getting worse at title recall) . . .or maybe I'm just a Preston Sturgess fanatic.But, perhaps "The Lady Eve" WAS actually the wittiest and most engaging.Or, how about Barbara Stanwyk/Gary Cooper as a love-and-laughter duet in "Ball of Fire"?Maybe, . . . Claudette Colbert and Fred McMurray in "The Egg and I"?Barbara Stanwyck and Claudette Colbert are my choice for romantic comedy leading ladies, followed by Carole Lombarde (She was at her best in "The Forgotten Man" and "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", if I have those titles correct.)

Guest grey

One I really enjoy is "Mr. & Mrs. Smith"with Carole Lombard and Robert Montgomery. Also, "Monkey Business" with Ginger Rogers and Cary Grant and Marilyn Monroe.

I'm not a big romantic comedy fan. I've found that it's easier to like classic ones more than new ones, because of the screwballness that no one can pull off today. The Lady Eve gets my vote, I think. The scene where all the women in the room are giving Henry Fonda the eye and Barbara Stanwick is commentating is hillarious, especially the woman so lovingly referred to as the women's wrestling champion. Would any Mae West movies count as romantic comedies? I don't know if they would or not, but if they do I'm No Angel would have to be the best romantic comedy. I can never get over the scene where Mae West spits on that uppity woman. And the courtroom scene. "It's not the men in your life that count. It's the life in your men."

Guest mallory

My fave romantic male lead is Cary Grant and several of his movies are the best romantic comedies; Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday, The Awful Truth, Charade, Father Goose, Operation Petticoat, Philadelphia Story, Holiday, etc. As for female romantic lead, that is a bit harder. I don't really have one fave. I like Audrey Hepburn (Charade, Roman Holiday) Irene Dunn (The Awful Truth), Carole Lombard (My Man Godfrey), Katharine Hepburn (Bringing Up Baby. And I agree with Alix about Pride and Prejudice, the dialog was very witty and Greer Garson and Sir. Laurence are very romantic. Jane Austin is the best as far as romance goes. Other great romantic comedies; It Happened One Night, Great Balls of Fire, The Bride Came C.O.D. (James Cagney and Bettie Davis), Libeled Lady, and You Can't Take it With You just to name a few.

Guest GrapeJug

I'm so glad you mentioned that movie, mallory. It's been one of my all-time favorites since I saw it three or four months ago on TCM. Some people may think it's fluffy, but I think it's incredibly sweet.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dolfingal

Just a few:My Man Godfrey - love Wiliam Powell & Carole Lombard togetherThe Thin Man - again love Powell & Myrna LoyLibeled Lady - Powell, Loy, Jean Harlow & Spencer Tracey (all faves)Midnight - classy Claudette Colbert & Don AmecheAdam's Rib - Katharine Hepburn & Spencer Tracey (not really K. Hepburn fan, but like Tracey)His Girl Friday - rapid-fire Cary Grant & the superb Rosalind RussellTrouble in Paradise - love Herbert Marshall (w/o Bette Davis), Miriam Hopkins & Kay Francis (underrated classic)Roman Holiday - not really Audrey Hepburn fan but love Gregory PeckMajor & the Minor - vintage Ginger Rogers & Ray (so serious) MillandTheodora Goes Wild - charming Irene Dunne & underrated Melvyn DouglasTopper - Cary Grant & Constance Bennett ( I got this one for $4.00 at a going-out-of-business store in NYC),Hands Across the Table - Carole Lombard & Fred MacMurray (again another underrated comedy)Im No Angel - Mae West & Cary Grant (wacky courtroom scene)Bride Came C.O.D. - James Cagney & Bette Davis (surprisingly funny movie)and sooooooo many more!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jasncartho@aol.com

Miss Tatlocks Millions is a romantic comedy from about 1948 and it had excellent actors and music. I kept hoping to see it on TCM sense they show almost all the best there ever was. If the movie was not lost to fire or due to neglect, I would love to see it on TV again. I saw this movie on TV back in the 50's so it was on tape at one time. This was a very good movie for it's time and the music was the best for romance. Please tell me that we didn't let that movie be destroyed by time and neglect. I love the movies from that period. I love 'I Married A Witch' and 'My Man Godfred' and of course all 6 of the 'Thin Man' series. I would love to see the movie released to purchase also. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I think Billy Crystal is a funny man but both he and Winger were totally wrong for their parts. Winger is a brilliant actress but I agree comedy isn't her strong suit. Crystal was just not likeable in that part.But I thought what really hurt the film was a truly unfunny script. I just did not know why I was supposed to root for those two to make it work. I thought all the other couples had much more chemistry and rooting value than Winger and Crystal.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest brinkley

I love the movie Strawberry Blonde with James Cagney,Olivia Dehavelend Rita Hayworth and Jack Carson. Cagney was great as a romantic leading man and he had great timing. I saw it as a teenager on the late late show and I was thrilled to see it again on cable. Since then I've watched it a few times because that's the kind of hairpin I am.

Guest brinkley

My very favorites are Sleepless in Seattle and You've Got Mail. I love the chemistry behind Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. I love everything about those movies. My husband and son think I'm crazy when I take out those DVD's, get a glass of wine, put my feet up and relax. I'm in romantic bliss for a couple of hours.

Guest k, sandy

brinkley, I had to laugh when I saw that you called yourself a hairpin! I've never heard that one before! I saw The Strawberry Blonde years ago, too. Cagney is great in just about every movie he's in. I know he wasn't considered a Hollywood hunk, but there's something very attractive about him. My favorite Rita Hayworth movie is Cover Girl, a musical that she did with Gene Kelly. It's very rarely shown, which is a shame. About Meg Ryan, I LOVE her performance in When Harry Met Sally! A very romantic, very funny film.

Archived