Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Funniest Romantic Comedies

Guest TCMhost-Claire

Guest brinkley

Sandy, I love when Harry met Sally too. Billy Crystal is very good in it but Tom Hanks could have played that role too. I'm a big Tom Hanks fan. That's the kind of hairpin I am is one of Cagney's lines in Strawberry Blonde. Thanks for your reply.

Guest Matusek, George

Of course, "Pride & Prejudice" is a romantic comedy. It certainly qualifies as a comedy-of-manners, and it has all the classic qualities that distinguish both romantic comedy and screwball comedy (the protagonists start out thinking that they dislike one another). -- George

Guest Matusek, George

I think you mean Preston Sturges's "The Palm Beach Story." And don't overlook two more Sturges masterpieces: "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek" and "Christmas in July."

Guest Matusek, George

Claire: For starters, let's get the (screw)ball rolling by mentioning THE best book on the genre of Romantic Comedy (and its sub genre Screwball Comedy). After extensive reading, I'd say the best book on the subject is James Harvey's "Romantic Comedy in Hollywood from Lubitsch to Surges" (published by Knopf in 1987). Not a single dull page among its 716 pages! And wonderful photos, too (the dust jacket features the scene in "The Awful Truth" in which Irene Dune is trying to hide a hat from Cry Grant, by dropping it behind the couch ; her dog is eagerly waiting to grab the hat -- yes, the same dog featured in the Thin Man films). And the best book on Preston Sturges is James Curtis's "Between Flops." I speak as someone who was head of the cataloging department at a public library in New England. In university and college classes too many profs try to brainwash students into regarding Tragedy as artistically superior and more profound than Comedy. J. Harvey is one academic scholar who does not place Tragedy on a higher level than Comedy. I always taunted my fellow librarians with my slogan that "Preston Sturges wrote better dialogue than Shakespeare!" On stage, "Hamlet" benefits from pruning, but what lines could be cut from Preston Sturges's "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek" or "Christmas in July?" And let's not forget what novelist Graham Greene said about why he preferred Laurel&Hardy to Charlie Chaplin -- "...purer clowning... they never tried to better an unbetterable world ... they never wanted to play Hamlet." Or, to quote a line from Sturges's "Sullivan's Travels" -- "It puts Shakespeare back with the shipping news."

Guest Matusek, George

Oops! Correction. The title of James Harvey's great book is "Romantic Comedy in Hollywood, from Lubitsch to Sturges." So much for "spell check" -- it changed "Sturges" to "Surges."

Guest Matusek, George

Another Oops caused by "spell check" -- it changed Irene Dunne to Irene "Dune." Remind me never to use "spell check" again. Sorry -- on with the show!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest S., Tom

I have two favorite standout romantic comedies of all time. So far, no one has mentioned them in this chat room: My Man Godfrey, w/William Powell and Carol Lombard No funnier romantic comedy ever existed; I Love You Again, w/William Powell and Myrna Loy, close to My Man Godfrey in slapsticky,screwball romance. If these two films had not existed, I would say It Happened to You, w/Judy Holliday and Jack Lemmon is sublime. They were the greatest romantic comedy pairing of the 1950's. What a shame they did not make more films together.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw a cute movie called Return to me with David Duchovny and Minnie Driver also had Carroll O'Connor and Robert Loggia. Definately a chick flick but really good. ha

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Schaefer, William

I'd like to put a vote in here for "The More The Merrier," which I really believe is the best of the romantic comedies. At the risk of receiving some very negative reactions from other fans, I'll say that it should have beat out "Casablanca" for the Best Picture Oscar of 1943. Jean Arthur, Joel McRea, and Charles Coburn make one of the best three-person comedy teams ever--and that's unusual in a romantic comedy. The scene on the doorsteps between Jean and Joel, where he paws her while she chit-chats, is romantic beyond description, and the film is ingeniously funny as well. I love films like "The Awful Truth" and "Libeled Lady," but "The More The Merrier" stands tallest here.

Guest K, Sandy

Yes, I love THE MORE THE MERRIER! The scene you describe between McCrea and Arthur is quite steamy. I think that I posted something about it on the "best almost kiss" message board. So many posts, I can't remember!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Healas, Liz

Carole Lombard & William Powell had been married & then amicably divorced prior to "Godfrey", so they had an easy, breezy chemistry together. (She had that with many of her leading men. For example, she & Fred McMurray genuinely seemed to be good buddies -- so much so, it kind of undercut their romantic scenes.) Lombard is my all-time favorite. She looked like a goddess, truly didn't care how goofy she looked or sounded, and was as friendly with the film crews as she was with her co-stars. I would LOVE to see "Twentieth Century" with Lombard & John Barrymore. Starting 12 years ago, I first begged AMC to show it (no success), and have recently begun begging TCM. Can't find it on video. I guess you could call it my Holy Grail of screwball comedies!

• 2 weeks later...

And I loved her in all three. She is a bit camp and a bit over the top but I think her acting is a bit of a throw back to earlier decades. Death Becomes Her has Streep dishing some very memorable line-me and my friends love tossing them at each other in her deep over the top style. Even in She-Devil she was an archetypal man stealing hussy. I thought she made Lana Turner proud. I think perhaps the problem is that we are so used to her in things like Silkwood and Sophies Choice-and we have a difficult time with her very slapstick approach to comedy. They seem to be at total opposites of the acting spectrum. Personally thats why I love her comedic work-very retro. Today, humour when its not gross out leans towards dry. While I appreciate dry humour the overstated "gasps" and vaudevillian antics of slapstick work better on me.

• 1 month later...
Guest Leslie, Jay

Yes want to get a discussion going on few great a some obsurce movie questions. The frist one for now is about the fliming of the very ending of Meet me In St louis 1944 judy garland the back drop scene of the fair how was this done back then the special effects to do that? Thanks Jay Later.

After having discussed films that you love, would anyone be interested in sharing a story about a movie they have seen that impacted their life in some way? This movie made such a personal impact, it forced you to look into and reevaluated your present situation thus, taking the steps you needed to make a change. Please, feel free to share your story, I am extremely interested in hearing it. Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Daugherty, Ron

Love That Brute (Paul Douglas, Jean Peters, Joan Davis) I love this film but haven't seen it in years, can't locate it, never shown on tv anymore. I've always been a big Joan Davis fan and, in my opinion, she makes this film. The old film that Love That Brute is based on is called Tall, Dark, and Handsome, with Cesar Romero. I haven't seen, nor can locate that film either. Anybody know the whereabout of either film. Thanks all. Ron

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Thomas, Caroline

My favorite romantic comedy (well...one of them) is the great race(1965) with natalie wood and tony curtis. its more a comedy than a romantic comedy, but i love the chemistry between the two.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Metzger, Camille

I can still remember seeing Cary Grant in Arsenic and Old Lace for the first time. I could barely hear the actors because the audience, myself included, was laughing so hard it was impossible to hear the movie. He just got better and better. But Cagney is still my all time favorite.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ashe, Brandie

I think the best romantic comedy is "The Philadelphia Story" with Hepburn, Grant, and Stewart. Hepburn is radiant, Stewart's comic timing is impeccable, and Grant has never looked better.

Archived