Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Funniest Romantic Comedies

Guest TCMhost-Claire

my favorite romantic comedies is any doris day comedy with cary grant, rock hudson, and that actor with the last name "young" his name escapes me at this time. oh and james garner. my favorite is "move over darling" i would love to see a black remake of that movie with denzel and maybe halle or ving raines and vanessa williams. that would be a fun challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, generally I love any comedy with Doris Day, they all seem to be romantic comedies... Tea for Two, On Moonlight Bay, By the Light of the Silvery Moon, Pillow Talk, That Touch of Mink. Then there is the Hepburn's, I know they are not related, but... that is Katharine Hepburn, gosh where do I begin? Bringing up Baby, Little Women... and then there's Audrey Hepburn, Sabrina, Roman Holiday, Funny Face, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and of course My Fair Lady. You know, I really like Gigi (Leslie Caron and Maurice Chevalier, 1958) too, it's a silly one, but so funny! I could keep going but then there is all the movies from Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Gene Kelly, Bing Crosby, I know he's not the typical romantic comedian, but those from Bob Hope.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll add my opinion to those who love The Awful Truth. The cast is terrific from top to bottom and they appear to be very generous with each other; no scene-stealing at all except, maybe, for Mr Smith.

It's one of those films one can watch dozens of times and see something new in it every viewing. McCarey's experience with Laurel and Hardy can be seen in some of the comic punctuation, especially with the bit players. I love the motorcycle cops and the wife of Luci's attorney!

The Shop Around The Corner is my other pick; a beautifully done Lubitsch film. One of the best ever. Frank Morgan is great in this.

• 3 weeks later...

Sabrina,Roman Holiday,Pillow Talk,That Touch of Mink, Funny Face,Tea for Two, Breakfast at Tiffany's and My Fair Lady. I know there are more movies that I can't remember right now.

• 6 months later...

I watch romantic comedies when I feel down, and they never fail to improve my spirits, I laugh the most with How to Steal a Million, Bringing up Baby, Monkey Business, Holiday, You Can't Take it With You, Some like it Hot, and The Philadelphia Story.

AND, The Court Jester with Danny Kaye, the fight scenes are great.

Message was edited by:

mbmuva

Great Choices all. Try "Easy Living" with Jean Arthur and Ray Milland. (If you can find it). Written by, but not directed by, Preston Sturges. Another good one that turns up on TCM once in a great while is "Vivacious Lady" with Ginger Rogers and Jimmy Stewart. Both are terrific and apparently seldom seen. Too bad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Claire, with respect to your other Post, I think Merle Oberon, a personal fave, can also do both quite well - watch her in The Divorce of Lady X & That Uncertain Feeling, which I feel are very good Romantic Comedies, as well as An American In Paris, Sabrina, & Roman Hoilday, my other # 1 Favorite Female Actress, tied with Merle !

I truly think Merle was under rated, as she could & did play both sides, heavy drama & comedy as well.

Sorry as I mis stated; as good as An American In Paris is, I meant Funny Face !

I also forgot to mention a favorite of mine, starring James Stewart & Margaret Sullavan in Shop Around The Corner, which was remade both as a musical In The Good Old Summertime as well as You've Got Mail some 50 years later !

Another entertaining, tho' not as good for me, IMHO, was Stewart & Paulette Goddard in Pot O' GOod.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are tons of Funny Romantic Comedies. I think that Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, William Powell, Myrna Loy and The Great Kate starred in the cream of the crop. Here are just a few of my absolute favs. This is no where near to a complete list!:

1) The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (Cary Grant & Myrna Loy)

2) Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (Cary Grant &Myrna Loy)

3) Double Wedding (Myrna Loy & William Powell)

4) ALL of the Thin Man Movies (William Powell, Myrna Loy & Jimmy Stewart)

(Jimmy Stewart was only in one Thin Man but he played the best part in that one!)

5) The Philidelphia Story (Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant & Jimmy Stewart)

6) Bringing Up Baby (Katherine Hepburn & Cary Grant)

7) That Touch Of Mink (Cary Grant & Doris Day)

A very under-rated movie is 'The Girl Most Likely' featuring Jane Powell, the movie isn't out-and-out quickfire comedy as such but has a kind of atmosphere all of its own and is full of ironic commentary on picket-fence surburbia of the 1950s, the storyline being should the girl marry out of material necessity or out of genuine love. Definately worth watching as its a classic period-piece of Americana.

Archived