Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Funniest Romantic Comedies

Guest TCMhost-Claire

Years ago my wife and I decided we wanted more space in a house and we also wanted a 19th Century Victorian. So we sold a perfectly good ranch-style house and we bought a hundred-year-old Victorian. That whole nightmare reminds me of ?Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House?.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

you hit it right about Katharine Hepburn & Spencer Tracy films. They are one of my favorite on screen actors ever! Actually, any film with Katharine Hepburn in it is great. I just loved her and wished she was still with us making more films. One of my favorites with her is......Brining up baby!!! I laughed so hard. I know it wasn't Spencer in that film, but all the same it's one of my best films. With Katharine and Spencer together, my favorite is Adams rib. That too made me laugh. You have great taste in films, so I thought I'd share some of my fav's with you. Lori

One of my favorite romantic comedies is with Jean Arthur. It is EASY LIVING with Ray Milland (who never did much for me). It is a riot! It's a Preston Sturgess movie, and I love his comedy. Luis Alberni is a scream as Mr. Louis Louis. It also stars Franklin Pangborn and Edward Arnold. That mink coat causes sooo much trouble! The sets are magnificent, and the plot moves along at a racing pace!

Thank You. It is so nice to finally meet someone who has even seen it much less enjoy like you do. I've always thought it was one of the best comedies. (I was lucky enough to buy a VHS of it.)

Jean is one of my favorites. It's a funny situation. My family gets a kick from the scene where she takes Ray on a tour of her place. The "inwisibles" that are the glass doors is a regular term for us. I also enjoy them laying on the sofa with their heads nest to each other. I think it's quite romantic.

It's almost a crime no one is playing this movie. This crowd will love it.

Message was edited by:

Me

Well, they were pretty funny! I loved all the Hudson/Day movies. I loved that whole period of time with James Garner, Polly Bergen, Elke Sommer, Tony Randall, et al. Suburban slapstick. That was the era in which I grew up! Even if they were Sixties movies, which I always say are out of the chronological acceptability of "classic," I guess I can slip those in!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another EASY LIVING lover here. This movie is just hilarious. One classic scene takes place in an automat and it is one of the best slapstick sequences ever filmed. The movie was written by Preston Sturges and directed by Mitchell Leisen. However, I've read that Sturges didn't think Leisen was doing a very good job with it and he got the studio to allow him to direct this sequence himself.

Another rarely seen but also extremely funny Preston Sturges romantic comedy is CHRISTMAS IN JULY. It stars Dick Powell as a guy whose friends trick him into thinking that he's won a slogan writing contest for "Maxford House" coffee. This is one of those films where one misunderstanding piles on top of another until things really spiral out of control (with sidesplitting results).