Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Detour"

otterhere

Found it hysterical (although I'm sure wasn't intended to be). Great over-the-top filmn noir... Got a chance to catch up on some old tapes this holiday weekend (including my first experience with Rudolph -- or "Rodolph" as he was titled in one -- Valentino in "Beyond the Rocks" and "The Young Raja." CLASSIC TCM; bravo! Also very cute was a snippet of some Robert Montgomery ("Bewitched"'s dad) as a ghost flick Sunday morning. So many greats in vaults, no need for Steve Martin.

Actually, TCM does show movies like that. Detour will be aired on December 9 at 10:00pm. I love this movie and was lucky enough to see a screening of it in San Francisco a few years ago with Ann Savage in attendance. What a beautiful, gracious lady she is! This movie is a nightmare of events gone awry (though not as much as Tom Neal's real life); it's haunting. I wish I'd taken notes from Savage's interview. I remember her talking about the gas station scene, and her discomfort in that ill-fitting sweater in the hot of the desert sun. I look forward to seeing the quality of the print that TCM will show (the quality of my DVD isn't so great).

Thumbs up to Detour!

As a pianist, I got a huge kick out of him playing the most complicated pieces -- all over the keyboard, mind you -- while staring distractedly into space and puffing his ciggie... Or even simultaneously carrying on a wise-cracking conversation...

She was evil; me-ow!!!!!!! Yes, TCM does play these (I recorded this one late one night); you just have to watch your "after midnight" schedule for the choice cuts.

I don't know as she put much effort into furthering her career after Detour. By then, she'd married Bert D'Armand, and I believe was content being a housewife and hostess while making the occassional B-movie and/or TV appearance. I'd be curious to see some of her other movies, to see if her inner fire is as much in evidence. Anyone seen Klondike Kate or Renegade Girl, for instance?

I love the piano playing scene; so overwrought. And his lounge-singing girlfried calling from her tiny, draped set, encouraging him that one day he'll make it to Carnegie Hall. "Sure, as a janitor. Maybe I'll make my debut in the basement," replies the ill-fated Al Roberts.

The ultimate low budget noir! Never heard of it till about 15 years ago. Then rented it at the first opportunity. As has been pointed out, I love the way one bad choice leads to another until it all comes tumbling down. If there's a definitive theme for the genre, that's it. Reminds me so much of the chilling pulp novels of the 1940's.

I read about a remake, but haven't seen it. Wonder how that was.

Red River

Love this film one of my first DVD's.....

A bit of Trivia:

Was the first "poverty row" movie chosen by the Library of Congress for preservation, in 1993.

Shot in six days in mostly two locations: the hotel room and the car in front of a rear projection screen.

Next US TV Airing:

Sat. Dec. 9 10:00 PM TCM

vallo