Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Life Changing Movies

CaveGirl

Obviously I ripped off this idea from the book of yore, which was called "The Movie Which Changed My Life" or something like that which I read a while back.

The premise was that many people have a film which sticks in their mind for some reason and either provokes later behaviour or choices or is mentally efficacious to their development.

Now if Thoreau was here he might dismiss this as degenerate fodder for entertainment, or he might compare it to his search for the best in literature to sustain and educate. But however it is seen, there are films which sometimes have a revelatory effect on viewers and this is the place to profess such. For some it is a simple career choice moment, as in one seeing "The Red Shoes" in their youth might be predisposed to entering the ballet profession.

I have many films to consider, so need to meditate and reconfirm my choices. Please submit and if you are so wont, express your reasons.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Interesting topic.

But as I usually viewed movies as either entertainment or diversion, I can't think of any that actually "changed my life".

Maybe changed my personal philosophy, even if just temporarily( like BILLY JACK) by presenting a particular POV, but a TOTAL change to my ENTIRE LIFE?

Fortunately, my life was never so vapid that ANY movie could ever do that.

But, I'm curious as to other's entries here.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

After I saw "The Lady Eve", my appreciation of classic films went from mere entertainment every so often to a hardcore hobby.  Six years later, now loaded with books, DVDs, photos, movie posters, a bigger TV screen and a membership on a forum (my only venture into social media), here I am.   :)

(Okay, I didn't save anyone from desperate criminals, but it was still a life-changer of sorts...)

• Like 1

Interesting topic.

But as I usually viewed movies as either entertainment or diversion, I can't think of any that actually "changed my life".

Maybe changed my personal philosophy, even if just temporarily( like BILLY JACK) by presenting a particular POV, but a TOTAL change to my ENTIRE LIFE?

Fortunately, my life was never so vapid that ANY movie could ever do that.

But, I'm curious as to other's entries here.

Sepiatone

You make a good point, Sepia that movies should be an accessory to life and not the main object.

In the book, in which I ripped off my thread idea, the point was not so much about a total alteration of one's life, but a movie which perhaps changed one's viewpoint on ideas or whatever or had a deep impact. I remember "Bambi" was mentioned, due to its very realistic depiction of the forest life and dangers surrounding it. Thanks for your input!

After I saw "The Lady Eve", my appreciation of classic films went from mere entertainment every so often to a hardcore hobby.  Six years later, now loaded with books, DVDs, photos, movie posters, a bigger TV screen and a membership on a forum (my only venture into social media), here I am.   :)

(Okay, I didn't save anyone from desperate criminals, but it was still a life-changer of sorts...)

I think seeing any film with Barbara Stanwyck can be life changing due to her ability to so assume and take on the skin of the characters she is playing and give them humanity.

Not such a bad hobby that you acquired after watching "The Lady Eve" I must say, Eugenia!

• Like 2

Hmmmmm, gotta ask here, CG...

Would having this tendency of mine to take my right hand, raise it to my mouth as if having a cigar in it, and then doing that thing with my eyebrows and while relaying to other people some sexually suggestive remark...well, would THIS count???

(...'cause it seems after watching a certain guy doing THAT an awful lot in movies and on TV over the years, THAT'S kind'a "changed my life" a little bit anyway...well, at least some of my mannerisms anyway)

;)

I think seeing any film with Barbara Stanwyck can be life changing due to her ability to so assume and take on the skin of the characters she is playing and give them humanity.

Not such a bad hobby that you acquired after watching "The Lady Eve" I must say, Eugenia!

How exactly did DOUBLE INDEMNITY change your life? Do you now slam the door on insurance salesmen?

I think almost everything we experience, including every book we read and every movie we see makes at  least  a tiny change in us. 

It's more noticeable in teens who are learning how they should act and how they want to present themselves to the world.  My brother came home from "One Eyed Jacks," and spent the following week pushing me down on the floor so he could say, "Get up you scum sucking pig, get up or I'll tear your eyes out,"  but then he had to endure me talking like "Tammy,"  for a few days.

Then I got older and actually had my mind changed about  some things.  The movie "Coming Home," taught me that there was more than one side to the Vietnam War debate. In "Owning Mahowney," Philip Seymour Hoffman helped me understand why in the world anyone would become addicted to gambling.

The only thing I can think of that might be called life changing was this:  When I was young and mousey I had an important job interview, I knew my usual timid self wouldn't cut it so, having just watched "The Thomas Crown Affair" I did the whole interview pretending to be Faye Dunaway ( no I did not trail my finger nail down my cleavage, my blouse was too high necked for that.)  I got the job over 100 applicants so I always used Faye for interviews after that.

• Like 2

The Strawberry Blonde;   This move changed my life.  I was dating a gal that was like the Rita character in the film (ok she wasn't as beautiful but she believed she was).      The film helped me realize that I was looking for a women more like the Olivia character in the film; loving,  compassionate, a partner,,,  

I ended the relationship with "Rita" and I found my Olivia.     What could be more life changing.   

Oh,  no, I got to go,,,,  my Olivia is telling me I have to clean the garage.   :lol:

• Like 5

How exactly did DOUBLE INDEMNITY change your life? Do you now slam the door on insurance salesmen?

Actually DGF, you're close here, but I believe CG once mentioned that seeing apartment doors that swing outward into the hallway instead of the usual inward so impressed her that every apartment she's moved into since she's watched that movie she's had her super immediately change her door to working that way.

Uh-huh, like this...

Double-Indemnity-door2.jpg

(...although I also understand she had been previously predisposed to the idea because during her formative years she watched a lot of The Honeymooners episodes and how the Kramden's apartment front door also worked in that manner)

• Like 2

Actually DGF, I believe CG once mentioned that seeing apartment doors that swing outward into the hallway instead of the usual inward so impressed her that every apartment she's moved into since she's watched that movie she's had her super change her door to that way of working.

(...although don't quote me on this)

I heard from one of CG neighbors and their life changing event was when CG exited her apartment in a hurry and slammed that door right into their face and broke their nose!    :blink:  

But yea, don't quote me on this. 

• Like 1

Actually DGF, you're close here, but I believe CG once mentioned that seeing apartment doors that swing outward into the hallway instead of the usual inward so impressed her that every apartment she's moved into since she's watched that movie she's had her super immediately change her door to working that way.

Uh-huh, like this...

Double-Indemnity-door2.jpg

(...although I also understand she had been previously predisposed to the idea because during her formative years she watched a lot of The Honeymooners episodes and how the Kramden's apartment front door also worked in that manner)

For doors that work that way, anyone walking through the hallway when someone suddenly opens the door of their apartment will have the door slammed right into their nose.. Ouch..

For doors that work that way, anyone walking through the hallway when someone suddenly opens the door of their apartment will have the door slammed right into their nose.. Ouch..

Yeah, that's true, and of course why they're not usually hung in that manner...and as James earlier mentioned. ;)

(...I think the only time I've ever seen residential entry doors swing outward in real life would be on trailers, and how it's shown on Jim Rockford's abode situated on that beach parking lot in Malibu)

Yeah, that's true, and of course why they're not usually hung in that manner..and as James earlier mentioned. ;)

(...I think the only time I've ever seen residential entry doors swing outward in real life would be on trailers, and how it's shown on Jim Rockford's abode situated on that beach parking lot in Malibu)

Hung? I said the door would slam into the guy's nose, not into his ****.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings