Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TARZAN FANS !

Vrabcek

Does anyone knows if TCM ever showd this Tarzan's movies ?

thanx,

Tarzan the Magnificent (1960) Gordon Scott

Tarzan Goes to India (1962) Jock Mahoney

Tarzan's Three Challenges (1963) Jock Mahoney

Tarzan's Jungle Rebellion (1966) Ron Ely

Tarzan and the Valley of Gold (1966) Mike Henry

Tarzan and the Great River (1967) Mike Henry

Tarzan and the Perils of Charity Jones (1967) Ron Ely

Tarzan and the Jungle Boy (1968) Mike Henry

Tarzan and the Four O'Clock Army (1968) Ron Ely

Tarzan's Deadly Silence (1970) Ron Ely

They've shown a few Gordon Scotts. I don't know about the others. My favorite is TARZAN'S NEW YORK ADVENTURE. One of the Weismullers. It's not as good as the earliest in the series. But it's tons of fun. Stranger in a strange land. Jungle man explores city. Encounters modern technology. Courtroom. Brooklyn Bridge. (Goodbye!) A delightful little adventure!

Red River

In '97 or so they showed all of the "classic" Tarzans, the Gordon Scott and a selection from Barker, Mahoney, Ron Ely. Don't think they showed Mike Henry. But it was a great run of Tarzan, practically took up a whole weekend. My daughter (who was about 3 or 4) and I watched many of them together.

IMHO nothing beats Crabbe, Brix/Bennett and Weissmuller. I LOVE the ones with Brix/Bennett - they're ggggrrEAT! To me Lex Barker always looked some dirty guy who walked in as off the street, a Tarzan that never changed his underwear. I didn't even like him as a kid. The Gordon Scott one is ludicrous, with the Weissmuller call dubbed in as Scott cups his hands over his mouth. Ron Ely is too much of a hunky body builder for me - Tarzan with a muscle in his head. Elmo Lincoln I find charming and quaint; and I love the movie, but for different reasons than the triumvirate of Crabbe, Brix/Bennett and Weissmuller.To me they're the REAL movie Tarzans.

Who played him the eighties? I don't even know...shame on me.

spadeneal

Actually, TCM has never shown any of the TARZAN series, other than the MGM Weissmuller films and the studio's 1959 remake of TARZAN, THE APE MAN, starring Denny Miller and Joanna Barnes.

It was AMC that showed the majority of TARZAN films, including the MGM Weissmuller films, as well as those starring Herman Brix, Buster Crabbe, Glenn Morris, Lex Barker, Gordon Scott, Jock Mahoney, and Mike Henry on a regular basis for several years. They didn't include the Ron Ely films in the package, however, as these "films" were actually ersatz productions strung together from multi-part episodes of NBC's late 1960s TARZAN television series.

I liked most of the TARZAN films, and would like to see them shown on a regular basis again. In my opinion, Gordon Scott was the best Ape Man of them all. Those last two films Scott made (TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE and TARZAN THE MAGNIFICENT) are first-class, adult suspense films with literate, action packed, scripts and a "Tarzan" who's not only intelligent, but speaks full sentences and, though civilized, reverts to the savage, more animalistic aspects of his personality realistically and naturally when called upon to do so. Unlike Weissmuller (who did most of his own swimming, but little of Tarzan's vine swinging), Scott also did almost all of his own stunts in his TARZAN films and just seemed more realistic and comfortable as the Jungle Lord to me than any of the other actors, even in his earlier more "traditional" Sol Lesser produced films.

I also liked Lex Barker in the role. He was unquestionably the most aristocratic-looking of all the actors who played Tarzan, and, as Tarzan is supposed to be a titled nobleman, I thought Barker fit this aspect of the role better than any of the others. I also thought Barker's deep voice was a vast improvement over Weissmuller's high-pitched, too American-sounding one. I certainly enjoy Weissmuller's TARZAN films, but he's probably my third favorite in the role, behind Scott and Barker.

I love the way you express yourself. Very interesting and informative.

When I was a real little kid, we saw one of the Scott films. Though I didn't know it at the time, it was the one with Sean Connery as a bad guy! From more recent experience, I think you're right. These are intelligent, sophisticated action films. I later saw Scott in a Steve Reeves vehicle called DUEL OF THE TITANS. About the Romulus and Remus legend. This was more than 40 years ago. Haven't seen it since.

Red River

Thanks for the compliment, Red River:

I've never seen DUEL OF THE TITANS with Gordon Scott and Steve Reeves. I'd like to see it at some point, as it looks like it's a lot of fun. I've read that Reeves and Scott were good friends offscreen. Since it's one of those "Sword 'n Sandal" epics that were popular in the 1950s/60s, I imagine they had some fun making it.

Yes, Sean Connery was one of the "baddies" in TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE. He reportedly enjoyed making it and Sy Weintraub, who produced the film, wanted him for the next TARZAN film. Connery agreed readily to the offer, but said something like, "It'll have to wait until I finish filming this spy flick I've just been signed for...." Of course, it was his first JAMES BOND film and we all know how THAT turned out. Small wonder they had to get someone else for Connery's proposed role in TARZAN THE MAGNIFICENT.

Incidentally, I also read that Scott had a life-threatening encounter with one of the "fauna" "Tarzan" is supposed to be so good at wrestling into submission/killing. In one of his earlier Tarzan films, TARZAN'S FIGHT FOR LIFE, Scott, as Tarzan, was required to wrestle an 18.5 foot python (which, in the script, was about to make a quick meal out of Eve Brent's "Jane" lol!). It took 6 handlers to unwrap the snake from Scott's body when the scene was finished. The snake nearly killed him...and he was a pretty big guy, as I recall.

For anyone who may be interested, all of the Weissmuller TARZAN films (those he made for both Metro and RKO) have been released on DVD. I did read in a general release of upcoming DVDs sometime back that Warners owns the rights to all the TARZAN films from Weissmullers through the Mike Henry films of the late 1960s, and was planning to follow up the Weissmuller films with a Lex Barker box set, followed by a Gordon Scott one, etc. Here's hoping they follow through on the series.

Hi markus21,

I hope you're right about that upcoming DVDs. Even though I got every Tarzans films from the sixties,..it would be GREAT to buy them in original form and original box. And also I can't wait for Lex Barker collection.

P.S. - the greatest villain was Jock Mahoney(no doubt) in ' Tarzan the Magnificent (1960) '.

Even though he tried his luck as a Tarzan / Tarzan Goes to India (1962) /

and / Tarzan's Three Challenges (1963) /,..he was never good as vilian.

Hi Vrabeck:

I hope I'm right, too. I'd love to see the post-Weissmuller TARZAN films released on DVD, even if, as I understand is the case with this latest collection of Weissmuller films, there are no extras included. I'd also like to see the Ron Ely TV series released on DVD, but I haven't heard anything about that happening yet.

I agree with you that Jock Mahoney was better cast as a villain than he was as Tarzan. I understand that Sy Weintraub, who had purchased the film rights to TARZAN from Sol Lesser, was looking to streamline the character and this was why he didn't continue using Gordon Scott in the role.

Mahoney, who was a talented stuntman, gave the role of the Ape Man a good try, and I think deserves a lot of credit for getting through the filming, since he reportedly contracted a serious virus while filming his second TARZAN film and lost a tremendous amount of weight. Still, he didn't quite cut it as the "Lord of the Jungle" in my opinion. Not bad, but not great.

The fight between Mahoney and Scott in TARZAN THE MAGNIFICENT is perhaps the best fight scene in any TARZAN film. The two really went at it, and it's still very impressive.

I remember a very good fight scene in one of the Lex Barker TARZAN films too I think it was TARZAN'S PERIL. Barker was fighting an evil native chief who was buying guns to conquer peace-loving Dorothy Dandridge's tribe. The Chief was somewhat stocky and overweight but he put up a pretty good scrap nonetheless, at one point almost knocking Barker out when he slammed Tarzan's head into a tree, and in another sequence, almost driving a huge knife through his skull.

It'll be fun seeing that scene on DVD if the Barker films are released next year. Hopefully it will come to pass.

Hey markus21,

The Ron Ely series was already released on DVD(no extras though).

Ther is no question that the best Tarzan film ever made is /Tarzan's Greatest Adventure (1959)/.

But I also like very much Mike Henry(especially) in /Tarzan and the Valley of Gold (1966)/.

That scene when he throws that gigantic coke bottle in that stadium is GREAT and very memorable. I remember when I saw it for the first time in Nairobi(Kenya). It brings me back to my childhood right away.

Although I'm kind of disapointed that other Mike Henry Tarzans /Tarzan and the Great River (1967)/ and /Tarzan and the Jungle Boy (1968)/ were not made in Africa.

Hi Vrabeck:

Are you sure the Ron Ely series has been released on DVD in the U.S.? Perhaps it has been in the U.K. or other world markets, but I don't recall ever seeing it available here. I've also seen several inquiries on the internet from people interested in purchasing it and wondering when it will be released on DVD.

Anyway, any help you can give concerning when the series was released on DVD and if it is available would be appreciated. I liked the Ely series, but haven't seen it for a long time, so I may not like it as much as I did when I was a kid. For that reason (as well as potential quality issues), I'm not really interested in purchasing a privately made copy from ebay and other sources that offer them, but, if a commercial DVD version was released, I might be interested in taking a look at that, providing it's not too expensive.

I like TARZAN AND THE VALLEY OF GOLD too, though that kid and the guy who leads the peaceful Indian tribe kinda grate on me. I like the way the main villain meets his end, and Henry's fight with the villain's thug is a pretty good one. The woman who accompanies Tarzan through the jungle is also pretty hot. I seem to recall her making guest appearances on the BEWITCHED TV series as Dick York's former fiancee. She had jet black hair on these shows, but I thought she looked pretty good as a blonde. I think it may be her natural hair color.

You're right. That giant Coke bottle scene is pretty cool, too. I also like the way Henry's Tarzan defeats the armed helicopter that's pursuing him. You can also tell how popular culture was influencing the TARZAN films at this point, since Henry's Ape Man is clearly supposed to be something of a jungle James Bond.

Sorry for answering just now(I don't have PC at home).

You right,..it was very influential at that time.

You knew right away when Tarzan stepped out from helicopter in suit with briefcases that this is gonna be something different.

The plot was great,..and also for the limited budget they did pretty good and convincing job.

Can you imagine what it would look like if TARZAN AND THE VALLEY OF GOLD was made with big budget and directed for instance by Steve Spielberg ?

P.S. - By the way. About the Ron Ely series click on:

http://www.tvdvdplanet.com/movie/action/Tarzan.html?gclid=CMSEkMDE9IgCFRN7NAodl1BIbg

You guys make me want to see all the Johnny Weismuller Tarzans again. The Mike Henry stab at the part sounds pretty intriguing too. I was about the same age as the annoying little kid in the Ron Ely Tarzan series, though I didn't think that he was a bodybuilder, more like a graduate of the John Phillip Law School of Acting: Look good, keep quiet, and don't emote.

Speaking of minimal emoting, has anyone mentioned the Christopher Lambert movie, Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes (1984)? I thought that the movie and its nearly mute star were pretty sumptuous and engaging. I was glad that I saw it in a theatre and not on the tube. Acting wise, the kudos went to Ralph Richardson, who, wisely, did not appear in any loin cloths, but exuded great warmth and bon homie, especially in the scene in which he rode a tray down a large staircase. I hope that TCM shows all of these movies eventually.

Yancey Derringer! Jock Mahoney! Holy cats, I haven't thought of that thing in ages. Say, didn't another tv actor of the time, Clint Walker, play a glorious looking Tarzan in a perfectly dreadful movie with Huntz Hall? I think it was called Jungle Gents.

Message was edited by:

moirafinnie6

Thanks for the response, Vrabeck:

It seems to me as if Mike Henry's "Brooks Brothers" Tarzan was the culmination of Sy Weintraub's intention to make the character more literate (begun with the last films with Gordon Scott) and more civilized and streamlined (the Jock Mahoney TARZAN films). Seeing Tarzan in a suit and tie was an unusual experience to say the least, though I also recall Herman Brix donning one in one of the late 30s TARZAN serials. Interestingly, I don't recall Ron Ely's TARZAN, though quite literate and well-educated, ever dressing in anything but a loincloth or travelling out of Africa during the run of the series. He may have, but I don't remember him doing so. (Of course, if I recall correctly, Henry was supposed to star in the TV series, but was replaced by Ely after he turned it down due to the grueling shooting schedule for his three TARZAN films and a falling out with Weintraub et. al.)

***SPOILER ALERT**** DON'T READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WISH TO KNOW THE ENDING OF TARAN AND THE VALLEY OF GOLD!!

There's one part of TARZAN AND THE VALLEY OF GOLD concerning the ending that puzzles me. When I first saw the film as a kid, I recall that just before Tarzan and his lady travelling companion are about to exit the cave leading to the "Valley of Gold," Henry, who's carrying the villain's briefcase which is loaded with explosive materials, stops and quickly constructs a homemade bomb. He lights the fuse and he and hte woman run out of the cave for cover just before the explosion goes off, sealing the entrance to the cave under tons of rubble.

Henry then turns to the woman and says, "Maybe by the time, they're (the peace-loving residents of the Valley of Gold) are discovered again, the rest of the world will have caught up with them."

However, when I caught the film again (several times) when AMC was running TARZAN THEATER regularly during the late 1990s, this scene was cut from every print AMC showed, and the film ended with Henry and the woman (Nancy Kovack, I think), walking down the steps of one of the temples in the Valley of Gold after saying goodbye to the VOG kid and the head honcho who ran the place.

I wonder why this final scene was cut out of the AMC prints, especially as AMC advertised the series as containing "the complete films, commercial free" when they began running them? After catching the film on AMC a few times (and taping a copy of it), I began to wonder whether I'd imagined this final scene, but I subsequently came across a videotape I'd made of the film broadcast on another channel which included it. Oh well, it's an enjoyable TARZAN film in any case, almost certainly the best of the three films Henry made in the series.

Thanks very much for the link to the site offering the Ron Ely series, After looking over the site and its' other offerings, I suspect these are not commercial releases of the series offered, though they look as if they've done a fine job of packaging them, and the video quality may be excellent. For example, I notice that the site offers the complete series of shows like THE FLYING NUN and THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW, and I've seen different commercial versions of these series sold in stores. As best I can recall, neither series has been completely released on DVD in these commercially available versions.

But, as I said, the packaging for the TARZAN series is excellent and I may consider purchasing the set if I can find out more about the DVD quality and some other issues.

Thanks again for the link.

Hi Redriver:

I've heard of the YANCEY DERRINGER series with Jock Mahoney, but I've never seen it. I'd like to, but I don't know if it will ever be shown on TV anytime soon. I recall reading somewhere that Mahoney originally auditioned for the role of Tarzan in the late 1940s after Weissmuller was dropped from the series and before Lex Barker was chosen. In addition to his "villain" role opposite Gordon Scott, I think he also played a villain on the Ron Ely series.

Guess he was pretty bitter about the producers of TARZAN taking so long to award him the loincloth. lol!

Hi moirafinie6:

I liked GREYSTOKE a lot, too, though it wasn't much like the TARZAN series films. Ralph Richardson did give a fine performance, and I agree that it was a wise move on his part not to appear in any loincloths. lol!

I also agree with you that Ely was more of a lithe, fit Tarzan, rather than a "bodybuilder type" as Weissmuller, Barker, Scott and some of the other Ape Men were, but this seemed to be Sy Weintraub's vision for the character, so I guess Ely fit the type he was looking for.

I also remember that BOWERY BOYS movie where Clint Walker makes a brief appearance at the end as Tarzan. I think you have the title right, though I don't recall if Walker is ever referred to as Tarzan in the film.

I really feel like I owe the Tarzan fans an apology. Obviosuly there are those who take the later 1950s and 60s Tarzan films very seriously - I had no idea. And I was wrong about the Tarzan films being shown on TCM back in the 1980s - that was AMC, as I dug out the old VHS' I made of those screeninngs and found I even duly marked them as such. Ah, the vagaries of memory.

In my hometown of Cincinnati Channel 19 showed Tarzan on Sunday afternoon for years. These were usually the Lex Barker Tarzans, and frankly I got tired of them. Certain revelations about Barker's personal life since then have not helped his reputation, at least with me. I felt he looked half-drunk in many of his Tarzan films.

When I finally read some of the books, rather than saying "the books are better," I felt that they are necessarily rather different from the movies. GREYSTOKE was a good try at realizing something more like Burroughs novels, as was the Brix/Bennett series long before, as Burroughs himself produced those. I continue to be amazed by the low key acting and naturalism that Brix/Bennett brought to the role, and the long takes of Tarzan out in his environment, not interacting with other humans.

But still my favorite Tarzan movie of all time is TARZAN FINDS A SON, as it is such a great story and, at its core, just such a thrilling and original movie. I also like TARZAN TRIUMPHS very much as a guilty pleasure - Tarzan fighting off the Nazis and calling them "demons" in his half-English, among other things.

In any event, I certainly did not, with my brief and briefly considered comments, mean to step on anyone's favorite Tarzan. I was a kid of the right age in the 70s and if you offered me the choice of Weissmuller over Barker or any of the later Tarzans I would go with Weissmuller every time. And I still feel that way.

spadeneal

Markus,..although I bought mine from different source(and quality is excellent),..I'm pretty sure that from the link I gave you would be excellent as well.

And also if you are crazy about Tarzan movies as I'm,..I truly recommend

to you and others this book(loads of information on the Tarzan movies).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0786411090/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-1072245-5131215#reader-link

I agree with Redriver, Spadeneal:

I appreciate your graciousness, but, as far as I can see, you have nothing for which to apologize. You expressed your opinions thoughtfully and intelligently, and you had every right to do so.

It would be an awfully dull board if we all felt exactly the same way about every performer/performance/film wouldn't it?

TARZAN FINDS A SON is a very well made TARZAN film and it actually has a pretty interesting behind-the-scenes production history. I remember reading that the reason the scriptwriters were commissioned to create the character of "Boy," was because Maureen O'Sullivan was adamant about wanting out of the TARZAN series. The original script thus had O'Sullivan's Jane being mortally wounded by a warring tribesman's spear, and Boy was created to retain the "family" atmosphere in the films.

When Edgar Rice Burroughs heard about Jane's imminent demise in the film, he reportedly was furious and threatened to sue MGM for killing her off. Metro's lawyers, however, informed him that while his contract with the studio forbade them from demeaning or killing off the "Tarzan" character, it was silent on the character of "Jane." They also noted that it was too late to do anything about the situation since scenes with Tarzan and Boy at Jane's grave had already been shot (I think in Florida). Reflecting Jane's tragic fate, TARZAN FINDS A SON was originally supposed to be called TARZAN IN EXILE.

However, public opinion managed to do what Burroughs could not. When MGM's pre-publicity for the film announced Jane's forthcoming demise, fans hit the ceiling, outraged that Metro would even think of killing the character off. Consequently, MGM felt it had no choice but to "resurrect" the character, and a scene was written into the film that allowed Jane to recover from her wound, while the still champing-at-the-bit O'Sullivan was given a substantial raise to continue in the role.