Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
slappy3500

B&W and silent films.

While I personally can't really get into silent films because of my love of dialogue, I can certainly appreciate the silent film fan's frustration with those who won't even make an attempt to ever watch one. I liken it to dealing with those folks (we all know a few)who would rather watch an episode of Gilligan's Island for the 10th time than watch a great B&W classic like "Best Years of our Lives, "All About Eve", or "Casablanca" just because GilLigan is in color (at least the LATER ones were). For the record I loved Ramon Navarro's performance as Ben-Hur and Loved Fritz Lang's magnificent "Metropolis",with it's beautiful nrw score.

Slappy, you're so on the mark about Ramon Navarro in "Ben Hur"! I much prefer this silent l927 classic to the Charleston Heston version. Ramon projected a totally different personae as Ben Hur, whereas Heston was so damned atheletic and surface. Also, "Metropolis" is fantastic. I'm planning on buying the restored, deluxe version on DVD. When my friends talk about the silents, they usually refer to the comedies of Chaplin and Buster Keaton--which I've seen so many times I'm sick of them. I wish TCM would showcase other silent talents and those great Jazz Age stars--like Billie Dove, Marion Davies, Constance and Norma Talmadge.

Silent movie fans anywhere near San Francisco next weekend will want to hie themselves to The Castro theatre. The palatial, 81-year-old landmark will be presenting its eighth annual silent film festival. The following classics will be shown:

* The Disney "Alice" adventures

* Carmen (directed by Cecil B. DeMille and starring the ill-fated Wallace Reid)

* Tepeyac and Aniversario de la Muerte de la Suegra de Enhart (Anniversary of the Death of Enhart?s Mother-In-Law) - two silent Mexican movies

* The Crowd (this classic, directed by King Vidor, was recently broadcast on TCM)

* La Souriante Madame Beudet (The Smiling Madame Beudet) (1922) and La Coquille et le Clergyman (The Seashell and the Clergyman) (1927) - two avant-garde milestones directed by French filmmaker Germaine Dulac

* The Penalty (starring Lon Chaney)

* Claire - a modern silent movie (2001)

* Go West (starring Buster Keaton)

For more info, check out . . .

The Castro Theatre Eighth Annual Silent Film Festival

http://www.thecastrotheatre.com/p-list2.html#silent