Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Originals - Hollywood landmarks?

Tim1965

TCM is running this new interstitial with Ben Mankiewicz and.....some other guy.... where they drive around Hollywood in a cherry-red Ford Mustang convertible. They talk about various landmark eateries, bars, clubs, hotels, etc. Occasionally, they stop in and interview a bar owner, a club maitre d', or someone similar.

What the heck is the name of this short TCM Original?

Who is the co-host?

Is this part of a longer Original (I never see credits for this, but certainly there have to be), and why isn't this mentioned anywhere on TCM's Web site?

Argh. Must...control....frustration...

I don't remember it having a name, but I suppose it does. I think it is just separate reports. Very interesting.

But there is so much in Hollywood and all of LA, places that were used in movies. I'd like to see where those cable cars go up the hill near downtown. I see them in LA noir movies. Also, the house in Double Indemnity is still in the same place somewhere in LA. I'd like to see the house that was in Sunset Boulevard. There used to be some little courts (motels) out near Santa Monica which I think were used in movies, but they might all be gone by now.

My folks and I drove on old 66 to LA back in 1953, not long after we saw "Sunset Boulevard". That was the old LA I see in a lot of old movies.

Fred,

The cable cars that you refer to is really "Angels Flight" which was a funicular (two counterbalanced cars that ran up and downhill) that transported patrons from the bottom (Downtown Los Angeles) up to Bunker Hill (and visa versa). It was billed as the world's shortest railway. In the mid-1960s, Los Angeles tore down the homes and flophouses of Bunker Hill and Angel's Flight was put into storage.

A few years ago it was restored and ran daily until an accident that ended in one or two of the passengers being killed. The restored archway is still standing but the restored cars are back in storage.

The house used in Sunset Blvd sat on the corner of Wilshire and Crenshaw. The house did not have a pool so the studio had one dug for the film. The house and pool were used a few years later in Rebel Without a Cause. The house was torn down in the mid-1960s and Getty Oil built a large office building on its footprint. The building now belongs to some other business.

The house in Double Indemnity is still standing though it is not located in Los Feliz but a few miles north.

Message was edited by: me because i can't spell

lzcutter

Thanks. What about the old office building downtown that was built in the late 19th or early 20th Century that was hollow inside? It had what was an old type of open "mall" inside, with walkways around the big central opening. I think it was about 5 stories tall and was used in several old films.

You guys are really informative, but nobody answered poor Tim 1965's question. I can't help you Tim, but I'm pretty sure Ben and the 'other guy' filmed a series of vignettes covering several different places. There is the one you mentioned, another where they visit the Hollywood cemetery, and i'm pretty sure there is one more, but these two are the most played. Maybe Mongo, or someone else here on these boards can help you, I am also interested.

Anne

Fred,

Are you referring to the Bradbury Building? It has intricate iron filligrie work inside with a couple of old manual elevators. Very open space with lots of wood and light? It's still there. One of our restored landmarks that filmmakers love to use. Been in the movies from the silents to Blade Runner and beyond. A long cinematic history for a great building.

As to the original poster's questions: I believe the co-host with Ben M is Tom Green(the ex of Drew Barrymore). I don't think it is a long piece that has been cut up but rather short pieces of Ben M and Tom Green hitting some of the landmark Hollywood locations.

There's a thread in General Discussions from last spring that was started, I think, by Kyle in Hollywood about these pieces.

As to why there's no mention of the series on this website, well that's a mystery for another day.

There was one about a bar across from a movie studio that famous actors used to visit. >>

The Nickodell was just outside Paramount's Melrose gate (the famous gate). It was a diner with a great bar. The building dated back to the 1920s or early 1930s as I recall. It's neon sign was gorgeous. It was torn down in the 1980s.

There was a great little Mexican restaurant across the street from Warner Brothers Gate 9 (?) that was torn down in the early 1990s so that Modern Video could expand.

The Sagebrush Canteen in Culver City across from the old MGM studio claimed to have been in business since the early days of MGM but some were dubious of that claim.

There is a golf course across the street from 20th that has been there for more years than most can remember.

Universal being located on the hill didn't have any bars across the street that I can remember.

So, I'm betting you are thinking of the Nickodell.

I think I remember the place across from Paramount. I was in it a few times back in the late ?70s. I remember seeing some guys dressed in Western costumes in it. I figured they were making a movie at Paramount.

I also think I was in the place across from Warner Brothers. That?s where I was sitting in a booth eating lunch and some studio business men were sitting in the booth behind me. I heard one of the old guys tell a story about Lana Turner on location in Hawaii (I think it was Hawaii) and she went shopping in an expensive store in the hotel, and she charged a $5,000 mink coat to her room. The studio wound up paying for it.

Those little cafes and bars were just like any in any small town. Many of them weren?t fancy at all and were just diners, yet because they were near or across from studios, many actors and department heads went in them quite often, just to get away from the regular studio cafeteria every now and then.

When I was a teenager in Mississippi in the mid-?50s, there was an early rock and roll singer and guitar player who would be seen at a local small-town bar-b-q place from time to time, the Choctaw Bar-B-Q house, just off Highway 49. I think he drove a pink Cadillac. In 1955 and ?56 he would be driving from either Tupelo or Memphis down to the coast for concerts. Later in ?56 we saw him on the Ed Sullivan show on TV, and we learned that his name was Elvis Presley. Another time I lived in Rolling Fork, Mississippi. There was a little colored girl growing up there, although I never met or saw her. She was just one of the hundreds of other little colored girls (that's the term we used back then). Later I learned that her name was Oprah Winfrey.

"As to the original poster's questions: I believe the co-host with Ben M is Tom Green(the ex of Drew Barrymore). I don't think it is a long piece that has been cut up but rather short pieces of Ben M and Tom Green hitting some of the landmark Hollywood locations."

This mystery continues, as the "other guy" is not Tom Green. I believe their names are stated in the shorts. I've been hoping to catch one since reading this post to ascertain who the other fellow is. But I'm sure Mr. Green is not one of them.

Isn't that apple pie diner a hang-out for those who work at 20th? I can't recall the name; but it's on Pico, maybe around Manning. Very simple; long U-shaped counter, burgers wrapped in paper, and huge apple pies for dessert.

Fred,

There was also the Formosa Cafe (it is used in LA Confidential) which is still there. The studio it was located at was originally where Doug Sr had the sets built for his version of Robin Hood.

It was Sam Goldwyn's studio for many years and then was Warner's Hollywood.

The studio, I believe is gone, now. A large retail complex is there but the Formosa is still open and doing business.

Jack,

The Apple Pan is still there and a great place to eat. One of the best places in LA to get a burger. It is located further east on Pico from 20th.

You should stop in for a burger and pie the next time you are down this way.

What made me think that Tom Green? My memory needs a reboot.

Message was edited by:

lzcutter becaue that was one heck of an error message.

Here's the thread that was started by Sam Therapy (not Kyle in Hollywood as I originally thought):

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7810399

Hollywood Hideaways appears to the be main title. Looks like they have gone to Nate and Al's Deli, the Formosa and Hollywood Forever Cemetry.

But who is Ben M's sidekick?

Hello all -

lzcutter has been her usual informative self during this discussion and has been spot on with all the details she offered. But here's a couple of other tidbits to offer.

I believe there is another episode of "Ben and No-Name's Hollywood Adventure" that stops at the Hollywood Athletic Club on Sunset Blvd. I can't say for certain tho. I do remember our tour guides speaking about billiard balls being thrown off the roof of the building.

I don't know anything about the Sunset Blvd mansion but William Holden's apartment building - The Alto Nido - is still on the corner of Franklin and Gower (I think it's Gower) and is only a few blocks from me. I always wonder if the persons in that apt. know what a unique apt that is. I am still amazed at the crane shot that goes into the window to introduce William Holden. And if anyone has seen The Day Of The Locust, Burgess Meredith's character (or was it Karen Black's?) lived at the top of the hill from my apt. building.

Here's a link to a photo of the Bradbury Building. It is probably best known for the film Blade Runner but has been a popular location for films.

http://www.hollywoodusa.co.uk/FilmLocations/bradburybuilding.htm

One can go to Google Image Search and type in "Bradbury Building Los Angeles" and you will get a number of other views of this interesting building.

There is an additional episode of Hollywood Hideaways (besides Nate 'N Al's, Hollywood Forever Cemetary and The Formosa Cafe) featuring Musso & Frank's Restaurant. (lzcutter! How Could You?) lzcutter and filmlover and I can vouch for the "classic atmosphere" at Musso and Frank's as we gathered there earlier this year where we, too, had the impeccable Manny as our bartender.. (Don't think we had martini's tho, did we?)

Kyle In Hollywood

and I, for one, miss Sam Therapy and am not ashamed to declare it. Anyone who could create the Forum's tribute to Harold and Maudewas worth keeping around.

Kyle,

Thanks for the additions to the thread. For the record, I also miss Sam Therapy.

As for the Alto Nido apartment building, I wish it was on Gower as I used to live in apartment building just behind the monastary on Gower above Franklin.

The Alto Nido with its very cool still working neon sign is at the top of that little street between Cahuenga and Vine off ramps on the Hollywood Freeway.

I have also wondered about the people living there, do they know.

I forgot about Ben M and No Name doing a spot on Musso and Franks, I remember we wished they had filmed it while we were there (no martinis, how unswank of us, I know. Don't tell MattHelm, he may never forgive us).

Manny the bartender was the best. Reminded me of Cuddles Sakall.

TCM is running this new interstitial with Ben Mankiewicz and.....some other guy.... where they drive around Hollywood in a cherry-red Ford Mustang convertible. They talk about various landmark eateries, bars, clubs, hotels, etc. Occasionally, they stop in and interview a bar owner, a club maitre d', or someone similar.

What the heck is the name of this short TCM Original? Who is the co-host?

Is this part of a longer Original (I never see credits for this, but certainly there have to be), and why isn't this mentioned anywhere on TCM's Web site? Argh. Must...control....frustration...

Well, I hope your frustration hasn't QUITE gotten to you yet!

I stay away from the posts for 24 hours and look what develops! Anyway......

The title seems to be Hollywood Hideaways (that always comes up in the introductory artwork, along with the names of the places they visit).

The co-host is Tom Brown (who he?), and there are four in the series (so far, with no new ones since mid-summer): the Formosa, Hollywood Forever (cemetary), Musso and Frank's, and Nate and Al's.

Now, back to waiting for more wonderful posts from people who know LA.

Mystery solved! (Google is your friend!)

I assumed the passenger in Ben Mankiewicz's Mustang was just a poker buddy he dragged along for the ride (and the cocktails.) Turns out he is a TCM-er himself.

See here -

http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Brown_Tom_99402490.aspx

(I've never met a person who was an Elvis fan and a Bette Davis fan.)

Mr. Brown - Thank You for "Stardust" and the "Private Screenings" this year. Now about that pilot with young actors in classic roles...

and thanks for the name, Mr. McCrary. That made all the difference.

Kyle In Hollywood

(ya know, he could have tagged along just for the cocktails anyway.)

We haven't met formally, but here's another Elvis and Bette Davis fan. Normally I hate photos on threads because they screwup the margins so badly, half the time I skip over them because you have to keep scrolling right and left to read. However, in this case I would love to see them. The two times I've been in California, I was in L.A. with every minute accounted for, and the other in San Diego and Orange County seeing old churches and missions (Mom was with us and ill, so of course we took her wherever she wanted to go), but one thing she did want to see, that I loved, was that big white hotel with the red roof up on a hill (It seems the name was the Carlton or something similar). It reminded me of the Grand Hotel in Michigan, on Macinac Island.

Is sam therapy gone for good, how charming, (claps with glee), I wondered why he hasn't been following me around to point out how moronic I am and unworthy of posting on these boards, it's been so pleasant.

So, what is Tom Brown, someone said he was a TCM'er, but in what capacity?

Anne

Anne,

I believe you are thinking of the Hotel Del Coronado (we just call it the Del) down in San Diego. It had a starring role in films from "Some Like It Hot" to "The Stuntman" (a great late 1970s film starring Peter O'Toole).

If you follow the link that Kyle provided in his post about Tom Brown, you would learn that Brown is the Vice President of Original Productions at TCM. He was nominated for an Emmy for the recent doc on Bette Davis "Stardust".

lzcutter:

Thank you for the info. It's been about 10 years since I was there and enjoyed reading the background of the hotel, and its' part in several movies. Senior moment, when the name escaped me.

Also, I don't know how I missed the post about Tom Brown, I thought I read all of it back to the first post. Thank you again.

Anne

Sandy,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one of these days LarryV can join us for drinks as well. We came close this spring with the Pola Negri documentary but unfortunately, no cigar. This time.

But I remain hopeful because a drink at Musso and Frank's with Larry would make my day. (and probably Kyle's and Filmlover's too) If we make plans we'll keep you posted, maybe you can join us too!

Awesome, Liz! The hubby and I have been talking about taking a vacation in California for a couple of years, but since Ohio is really on the eastern side of the country, we always end up going someplace on the east coast because plane fares are cheaper or we can drive.

But when we finally do take that trip out west, I will let you know!

Sandy K