Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have a severe/profound hearing loss so must have captioning on my TV to be able to understand what is said. I have talked to my provider, Astound, and they tell me that they transmit what they receive,and that I should talk to TCM. I did talk to TCM and was told that they transmit to providers captioning, if the movie has been captioned.

Closed Captioning is activated on my TV and I get many captioned programs. I know that some or many of the TCM movies are or have been captioned. I need to get this solved since I am missing out on the TCM's. Do you have any suggestions?

Jack offered good advice. TCM folks do read postings there and take such matters seriously. However, you didn't say what films weren't closed captioned. While Turner did an outstanding job of captioning most if not all of the movies in their own library, the problem may lie in the movies that they lease from other companies such as Paramount and Universal. If they receive non-captioned versions from outside sources there isn't much they can do about it other than complain. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I like having CC on not due to being hard of hearing but because sometimes I start spacing out and being able to look at the dialogue sometimes makes it easier to re-focus my attention. Or if I have guests over and they occasionally talk over the movie.

The thing that puzzles me is when they show a movie that was in the MGM home video library and that has subtitles/CC on DVD, yet the version they show on the air doesn't have CC.

Case in point: this weekend's Essential Kiss me Deadly, the DVD has subtitles/CC.

My problem with closed captioning was solved by my provider

Astound. I talked to them earlier and they could not solve the problem told me to contact TCM. This time I talked to a person who followed through. The problem was local with Astound and they fixed it. I recently was able to watch "Young Thomas Edison, with Mickey Rooney", and this was very enjoyable. I agree, if a movie is captioned somewhere, DVD, Video, etc., TCM should be able to provide captioning. Thanks for the help. Don in Concord, CA

One movie I found much more enjoyable to watch with closed captioning was "The Miracle Worker" which was on a couple of nights ago. As much as I like the movie, sometimes all that screaming by Patty Duke as Helen Keller grates on my nerves. It was so lovely to watch the action and read the dialog without hearing all that screaming!

I enjoy watching movies with the subtitles on. I don't have a hearing problem, but I enjoy seeing the dialogue on screen. If it's a favorite movie, I can talk along with like it's karaoke. It's pretty fun.