Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

VIVA Le DIFFERENCE!

Sepiatone

I was watching TOMBSTONE on some other channel last night, and got to thinking, "what a DIFFERENCE in the portrayal of IKE CLANTON by actor STEPHEN LANG in this movie, and Ike being played by ROBERT RYAN in HOUR OF THE GUN. 

So I started looking up what other actors possibly played Ike, and was pelted with a good list of names...

Besides Lang and Ryan, there were...

JEFF FAHEY

LYLE BETTGER

GRANT WITHERS

I also decided while I'm at it, to look up others who portrayed other characters in "Tombstone" in other films or venues...like WYATT EARP...

RANDOLPH SCOTT

HENRY FONDA

BURT LANCASTER

HUGH O'BRIEN

JAMES GARNER

GUY MADISON

KEVIN COSTNER

KURT RUSSELL

JOEL McCREA

and even

JAMES STEWART  ???

and ALL of them FAR better looking than the REAL Earp!

And a plethora of DOC HOLLIDAYs....

HARVEY CLARK

CESAR ROMERO

KENT TAYLOR

WALTER HUSTON

VICTOR MATURE

JAMES GRIFFITH

KIRK DOUGLAS

ARTHUR KENNEDY

JASON ROBARDS Jr.

STACY KEACH

WILLIE NELSON

VAL KILMER

TREY BAYER

JAMIE THOMAS KING

and both RANDY and DENNIS QUAID

WHEW!

So, let's take it further and some of y'all list the different people who played the SAME CHARACTER in other movies.  for a short example:  both RAYMOND MASSEY and HENRY FONDA both doing ABE LINCOLN.  That sort of thing. 

What also actually got me started on this was, as mentioned the sharp contrast between Robert Ryan's neat and good looking Ike Clanton and Stephen Lang's sloppy, greasy and smelly portrayal.

HAVE AT IT!

Sepiatone

Wonder if there's been a historical figure portrayed on film more than Jesus Christ?

Here's a list of 20 who've played him:

http://www.hearitfirst.com/blog/20-actors-that-have-played-jesus-christ/

(...btw...after also checking the internet in an attempt to find how many actors might have played another historical and religious figure such as him, I unfortunately could find nary a one who has ever played Muhammad...go figure, EH?!)

LOL

(...btw...after also checking the internet in an attempt to find how many actors might have played another historical and religious figure such as him, I unfortunately could find nary a one who has ever played Muhammad...go figure, EH?!)

J. C. Fowler played Muhammad in "Are We Civilized?" (1934), which I watched about a month ago on youtube. He is onscreen for just a short bit, as part of an historical retrospective. At the time, I thought he looked like Carnac the Magnificent, but now I think he looked more like Ali Baba.

• Like 1

J. C. Fowler played Muhammad in "Are We Civilized?" (1934), which I watched about a month ago on youtube. He is onscreen for just a short bit, as part of an historical retrospective. At the time, I thought he looked like Carnac the Magnificent, but now I think he looked more like Ali Baba.

Wow...REALLY?!

Why...WHY...that INFIDEL!!!

(...somehow I don't expect this old film to ever be played at that art house cinema located in Mecca...or for THAT matter ANY art house cinema located ANYWHERE in the Islamic world, huh)

I believe that I may have watched: Alwin Neuß as: Sherlock Holmes. I say this because I watched as many of his movies as were available at one time and the plot for: The Stolen Legacy (1911) seems vaguely familiar.

I like very much: Clive Brook, Arthur Wontner and: Reginald Owen as: Sherlock Holmes.

I like: Raymond Massey very much but his portrayal did not excite me.

Peter Cushing and: Christopher Lee are among my favorite actors but I am sorry to say that their portrayals seemed to me to be workmanlike rather than inspired.

I found: Ronald Howard very interesting as: Sherlock Holmes in 1954 television series. He carries the role well and there are at moments traces of his father.

I found it odd to watch: Tom Baker in the role in a BBC mini-series because at all times I half-expected him to step into his: Tardis.

I feel that: Jeremy Brett was perfectly superb in the role. He seemed to me to capture an essence which most other performances lack.

I found: Robert Downey Jr. very precious in the role. It is so very sad that writing and direction of his movies were so very abysmal. 

I am not so much a purist that I object to modernizations. I find: Jonny Lee Miller in: Elementary very captivating. I feel that: Bandicoot Cabbagepatch  Bandersnatch Cumberflash  Butterscotch Frumblesnatch Benedict Cumberbatch is exquisite and has brought much to the role

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings