Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Inspired by the opening sequence of Logan's Run:

Is there a difference?  To me there is.  Fake is a special effect, but doesn't offend, or distract from the movie.  Fakey is an effect that demonstrates the filmmakers' contempt for their viewers.  A cheap expedience I feel insulted that they thought I would accept.

That's just how I felt at the opening of the movie.  How cheezy!

On the other hand, I know the ships, say in Captain Blood (1935) are models, but I don't feel a visceral reaction against them.

I can't come up with any set of standards to define when something is which, but like the man sez, I knows it when I sees it.

Inspired by the opening sequence of Logan's Run:

Is there a difference?  To me there is.  Fake is a special effect, but doesn't offend, or distract from the movie.  Fakey is an effect that demonstrates the filmmakers' contempt for their viewers.  A cheap expedience I feel insulted that they thought I would accept.

That's just how I felt at the opening of the movie.  How cheezy!

On the other hand, I know the ships, say in Captain Blood (1935) are models, but I don't feel a visceral reaction against them.

I can't come up with any set of standards to define when something is which, but like the man sez, I knows it when I sees it.

YEAH, SLAYTON?!

Well, at YOUR age, just be thankful those lousy special effects in LOGAN'S RUN aren't the ONLY thing in it that's pretty much unbelievable about it.

(...'cause I'm pretty sure you're over 30 years old, aren't ya?!) ;) 

• Like 1

YEAH, SLAYTON?!

Well, at YOUR age, just be thankful those lousy special effects in LOGAN'S RUN aren't the ONLY thing in it that's pretty much unbelievable about it.

Ulp!

Part of the cheesiness comes from the movie's vision of the future..... those costumes!

The effects were decent, considering this was before computer generated art/effects.

One reason the original King Kong remains so awesome --more than Cameron's CGI- laden "Titanic"-- was that it it was not CGI. Same thing with Wizard of Oz, even when you see the backdrop, the art work is so great, you don't care.

• Like 2

"Star Trek V" (1989) has some bad scenes and compositing.

This fooled them into thinking it was paradise??? (hate to see hell)  Cheezy indeed.

Sha_Ka_Ree_surface.jpg

The movie "Dune" (1984) that shows the Emperor Shaddam IV Golden Ship on the ground.  Can't find a photo but it's when you see this...  AWFUL matte painting!

9be2dc34bed526fb3e63a766431ce67b.jpg

"Close Encounters of The Third Kind" (1977) top secret installation at the base of Devil's Tower glowing blue, fake scene sticks out like a sore thumb.

vlcsnap-06064.png

YEAH, SLAYTON?!

One thing that wasn't fake was the dress that Jenny Agutter was almost wearing. 

• Like 3

If one can't see how FAKE this opening shot of "Heidi" (1937) is, better get to an optometrist fast!

126bfph.jpg

Hey! Did you folks know that "Broadway" Joe Namath says he STILL has never seen this flick?!

(...he says watching it might bring back some unpleasant memories)